exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5OMPhKLhXQ​

SEGA has announced their plans to develop the next Phantasy Star Online franchise for Playstation Vita.

Whatever it is said:
Here is what we know so far:
  • The game is less than 10% complete. It is scheduled for release in 2013.
  • It will use the same servers and character data as the PC version.
  • Gameplay will be online only.
  • It is possible that cross-platform parties between PC and Vita clients will be allowed. This is briefly shown in the video.

icon11.gif
Source

Reactions: 1 person

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should've read that thread first... bleh.

edit:
Maybe PSO fans who weren't necessarily interested in general VITA news will still get the usefulness of this post because of the title. But I think all the additional info I quoted was already discussed in the other thread.

edit2: Topic moved from USN/changed.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Although I like Phantasy Star games, I'm not really keen on this one, I will get the PC version, obviously, but a version for the Vita that only has Online? To take the most out of it you'd either need to have the 3G version of the Vita or play it at a place that had wi-fi... If the game also had a story campaign, even if short, that'd be a completely different thing but meh... Dunno...

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was never under the impression there was going to be an offline mode for the PC version. A story mode, perhaps.. but since character data is saved online I don't think any offline progress would make sense.

edit: I guess I missed your point Skell, at first.

I would rather grind on Vita while I lounge and group at my PC, personally.

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the game also had a story campaign, even if short, that'd be a completely different thing but meh... Dunno...
PSO never had a story/single campaign in the first place.
Well, it makes sense to have wished for one. I think PSO is the only one in the Phantasy Star franchise that doesn't -- and PSO still had offline mode on all its platforms, originally.

Online only makes perfect sense to me, it's odd for a portable game, but it's just the cusp of technology now that we can have a fully functional cross-platform portable (3D, Immersive, fully featured, get out of here with your apps) MMORPG.

And this game is the first time that a Phantasy Star multiplayer game will actually be Massively Multiplayer as well, so I think it'll be great especially for those of us who play from PC's at home, to be able to "check in" at a cafe if we are traveling, or even tether to our phone (or have 3G Vita). As someone who has had an ongoing feud between my wallet and MMORPG's for the past 7 years, this is the game I've said will be the MMO to end all MMO's (FOR ME! Phantasy Star Online v.2 Dreamcast was my first online multiplayer addiction..).

I thought the failure of PSU for PC/PS2 would discourage them from developing another major MORPG title, but to do so, make it an actual MMORPG with casual grouping, AND cross-platform it, is making my fangirl particles gyrate in pleasure.

Seems interesting :) I hope there won't be any monthly fees for this (But it has never been in the past right?)
There were subscription fees for every official SEGA release except Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Phantasy Star Zero. PSO for Dreamcast was $9.99 a month, iirc. Probably similar for GC & XBOX. Phantasy Star Universe for PC was similar but offered a massive discount for 6 month subscription.

I'm expecting to have to buy the game twice but subscribe only once, to play with my account on both PC and Vita.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Well, it makes sense to have wished for one. I think PSO is the only one in the Phantasy Star franchise that doesn't -- and PSO still had offline mode on all its platforms, originally.
Offline mode is silly, it's just you on multiplayer quests and it damaged the game by cheaters.
I thought the failure of PSU for PC/PS2 would discourage them from developing another major MORPG title,
It isn't a failure. It's successful and still ongoing in Japan

and FYI PSO2 won't work with 3G.

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Offline mode is silly, it's just you on multiplayer quests and it damaged the game by cheaters.
I thought the failure of PSU for PC/PS2 would discourage them from developing another major MORPG title,
It isn't a failure. It's successful and still ongoing in Japan with the PS2 support ending soon and a huge update for PC.

and FYI PSO2 won't work with 3G.
Yes, offline mode was silly, but my ex boyfriend played it a lot in local multiplayer mode (GameCube version though). It was still an option for grinding when the net was out.

They shut down the English servers two years ago. Having to shut down servers at all for an MORPG that charges a subscription fee is pretty indicative of failure, or a level of failure. My measure of success is persistence in its intended global market. MMORPG is not a niche, so niche success is still not a passing grade.

I'm glad PSO2 won't work with 3G, but people will still be able to tether their Vita's WiFi to their phones..

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
They shut down the English servers two years ago. Having to shut down servers at all for an MORPG that charges a subscription fee is pretty indicative of failure, or a level of failure. My measure of success is persistence in its intended global market. MMORPG is not a niche, so niche success is still not a passing grade.
.... so?

PSU still isn't a failure, for Japan, where it matters.

And we haven't even got a PSO2 English announcement. It's still Japan only. This hype thread is silly, it will die today.

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.... so?

PSU still isn't a failure, for Japan, where it matters.
Oh right, Western market doesn't matter for MORPG/MMORPG's.

edit:
And we haven't even got a PSO2 English announcement. It's still Japan only. This hype thread is silly, it will die today.
*Yawn* I had this moved cause I derp'd and posted it in USN. People responded to it before a mod got around to closing it, so I asked that it be moved here and reopened since the other, pre-existing USN topic wasn't game-specific. I really don't care if it dies today or even with this very post.

With the amount of work that a cross platform game takes to develop, I hope they don't release it outside of Japan until they launch the title solidly on both platforms. But I really doubt they won't make a release to the rest of the world. The success and demand will dictate how soon NA/EU will get a release.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
What I'm trying to get across is why would SEGA Japan care if it failed in the West? Just because it did doesn't mean it should 'discourage' them from making more games.

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I'm trying to get across is why would SEGA Japan care if it failed in the West? Just because it did doesn't mean it should 'discourage' them from making more games.
Thank you for putting it in actual complete thoughts then!
Investors and executives may "hesitate" when there is a precedent for losses. The PSU Western release saw losses except for XBOX360 customers. I didn't mean to say that it would discourage them from making more games, I meant to say that it might discourage them from doing something more grand. I've seen SEGA lose a battle before (completely dropping out of the hardware market) so this is also not irrational..

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mind blowing.

edit: i'm not trolling, it's just silly making a hype thread for a game releasing in 2013.
yeah, it probably is, but i still wanted to discuss it.

i'm surprised that you, of all people, would be the first to will this thead's death.
i mean, i don't expect it to stay bumped, of course.. and this isn't my first Hype thread.. but I'm really looking forward to more news about the game and how it will make it to the Western market.

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not happy because of the...was it PSU? the console versus pc player on the same server was horrendous. the PS2 user always lagged no matter how good their connection was. I hope they don't repeat the same mistake. I can't remember which PSx had that issue, but i remember cross playing it with a PC user for one of them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"