OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehrVNC0SJF0&feature=youtu.be
Beta Trailer

Ok, so who do I give my wallet to?

Phantasy Star Online 2 will be free to download and play, Sega announced during a press conference today.

The game will make use of micro transactions, meaning some items will cost money.

Sega also announced it’s developing a third version of the game for iOS and Android. The smartphone version shares character data between the PC and PlayStation Vita versions, but does not offer cross platform play. It is a simplistic, single-player version of the game with easier controls and its own social features.

The PC version of the game is due out first this summer in Japan, followed by the smartphone version in the winter, and finally the PlayStation Vita version in 2013. A closed beta for the PC version will kick off in late April. A trial of the character creator (with benchmarks) will become available beginning April 5.

News Source: Gematsu

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Wow, I wans't expecting it to be completely F2P, I do hope they release a hard copy of the game, perhaps with some bonus and stuff (mainly cuz if given a choice I always pick physical copies).
But I'm not so happy about the smartphone thingy, well, at least it's just single player and not crossplay, that would be terrible.

L551

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there goes my purchase.

F2P in MMOs means Pay2Win. Free users will be severely gimped out of items that people who have excess money can get easily.

Reactions: 1 person

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

F2P in MMOs means Pay2Win. Free users will be severely gimped out of items that people who have excess money can get easily.
I'm afraid it's going to go this route as well. Unless it's proven that the paid things give no in-game advantage (so just like, fashion), then I won't play this either.

I was really looking forward to it, too, but I've had enough of Pay2Win.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country

I'm afraid it's going to go this route as well. Unless it's proven that the paid things give no in-game advantage (so just like, fashion), then I won't play this either.

I was really looking forward to it, too, but I've had enough of Pay2Win.
Well if its pay2win then count me out. I'll wait for more news before i'll rush out and get this.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
They are not selling high end items which unbalance the game, you really think it will be that easy? Come on.

Edit: And people are forgetting this is NOT a PvP game.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
They are not selling high end items which unbalance the game, you really think it will be that easy? Come on.
Outside of those rare ones that do it just for fashion, all the Freemium games I've seen WILL go the way of letting you pay for powerful content one way or another sooner or later... generally later when profits start declining and they need to give players more of a reason to buy.

Edit: And people are forgetting this is NOT a PvP game.
Neither is Mabinogi, but unless you cough up cash you're literally like five times slower in growth and penalized more than other players. Camping penalty? Can pay to get rid of it. Run a guild? Gotta' pay to do that. Mount? Pay for it. Half of your bank space? Locked unless you pay for it, and it's not a one-time fee.

There's plenty of ways to penalize some players versus others when a game's not centered on PvP.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Outside of those rare ones that do it just for fashion, all the Freemium games I've seen WILL go the way of letting you pay for powerful content one way or another sooner or later... generally later when profits start declining and they need to give players more of a reason to buy.
I doubt it, Sakai has been doing his best to address every single issue Alpha players have with content and gameplay.

Why do you keep comparing it to the bad F2P games? What about the good ones?
You're looking at the worst case scenario when hardly no information has come up yet. From the little information we have, they've stated that there will be no restrictions on characters, two types of paid content - fashion type items which can be traded and other items that can not -, and that they've clarified their policy saying pay items will not unbalance the game.

PSO was always about grinding for your items, you really think they're going to let you buy your way out of it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BakerMan, his partner is Luke