Phantasy Star Nova Translation [We need your help!]

image.jpeg

:arrow: Patch updated! See http://arks-layer.com/nova.php for the latest version and help on installing it.

Current status of Nova translation:

- Game dumped, modification possible ✔
- CPK file successfully repacked ✔
- Files modified, patching possible! ✔
- Proof of concept created! LET'S GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD! ✔
- Finish with our new fontmap tool so we can do a proper textdump and find out where all these strings are hiding! ✔

To do:

- Translate stuff! \ o /

Feel free to join our discord channel: https://discord.gg/PSO2

Thanks for reading, and here's to more vita games being translated! o/

Last edited by AIDA,

tenkai_2.0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I buy the cart (vita version.)will I be able to use the patch?
My ps vita has been collecting dust since sonic all stars racing.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So if I buy the cart (vita version.)will I be able to use the patch?
My ps vita has been collecting dust since sonic all stars racing.
Yes, but you also need to be able to use the HEHkaku exploit. In other words, firmware 3.60 NOT the latest 3.61.

Skardale

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome too see the progress. Just gonna miss watching it happen behind the scenes! Though stuff happens! Always rooting for this team though! Awesome work @ Aida, synth, dka, nagato, everyone else! ! ! !

AIDA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
arks-layer.com
XP
Country
Good news! We have a proper text dump now, so we've started working on the story! \ o / Speaking of:

Any plans on putting subtitles for the prerendered video cutscenes or is that impossible?

Great work so far :)

Yep! All the videos will have subtitles on them in a separate (optional) CPK, since it will be a bit larger. It *should* only be a one-time download, though.

reinzhart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Good news! We have a proper text dump now, so we've started working on the story! \ o / Speaking of:

Yep! All the videos will have subtitles on them in a separate (optional) CPK, since it will be a bit larger. It *should* only be a one-time download, though.
That was pretty fast progress, so the script was nearly 100% identical with PC counterpart?

reinzhart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Well, Nova is a completely different game to PSO2.
I see, so it's not just bring the old PC translation but it had something new to be translated if i get it right.
By the way thanks for the reply/confirmation, I'm really exited with this project it's going to be.

Last edited by reinzhart,

AIDA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
arks-layer.com
XP
Country
That was pretty fast progress, so the script was nearly 100% identical with PC counterpart?

Not at all! The compression, packing, display system - Everything was different. Luckily, Nagato had just developed a tool for another game, and was able to modify it to suit ours. At first we had to dump "images" of the text, and then I used a OCR (A program that reads the JP like a human and tries to translate it to text) which worked "okay" - 1 out of every 5 or so lines was nonsense text, 3 of 5 would have incorrect japanese, but from the 2/5 that were usually correct, I was able to surmise what was what and begin mapping things while I translated them.

EDIT: Reading your response, maybe you meant content wise? Yeah, PS: Nova is a completely different game, taking place in the same "universe", but using all new stuff. It was also developed by Tri-Ace instead of SEGA, so everything is different ; _ ;

Last edited by AIDA,
Reactions: reinzhart

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi huys, it's psdead's game, did i miss anything bout its hacking scene or is it possible to run backups on our henka-jacked psdead now?

reinzhart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Not at all! The compression, packing, display system - Everything was different. Luckily, Nagato had just developed a tool for another game, and was able to modify it to suit ours. At first we had to dump "images" of the text, and then I used a OCR (A program that reads the JP like a human and tries to translate it to text) which worked "okay" - 1 out of every 5 or so lines was nonsense text, 3 of 5 would have incorrect japanese, but from the 2/5 that were usually correct, I was able to surmise what was what and begin mapping things while I translated them.

EDIT: Reading your response, maybe you meant content wise? Yeah, PS: Nova is a completely different game, taking place in the same "universe", but using all new stuff. It was also developed by Tri-Ace instead of SEGA, so everything is different ; _ ;
Yeah i mean content wise.
I had used Capture2Text for capturing text(image of text)for old game before and it's was pretty accurate and light program, it might be slightly better than you already had and hope this will help a little bit.
Thank you.

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I had used Capture2Text for capturing text(image of text)for old game before and it's was pretty accurate and light program, it might be slightly better than you already had and hope this will help a little bit.
Thank you.

When you meant content. were you by chance talking about their PS02 vita transalation? if so then yeah this team of awesome peeps are transalating both games!

but i dont now if ps02 on pc and vita are the same??

AIDA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
arks-layer.com
XP
Country
Thank you.

No problem, and thanks for the recommendation!

Is there any progress status of translation??

At the moment, 99% of character creation, the basic main menu, NPC names, items, most weapons, basic enemies, and much more is translated! We're still trying to find where a lot of the text is (I'm about 1/4 of the way through mapping all the files). I'm almost done with the settings menu now.

When you meant content. were you by chance talking about their PS02 vita transalation? if so then yeah this team of awesome peeps are transalating both games!

but i dont now if ps02 on pc and vita are the same??

Yup! They're very similar - The issue is you'll need the latest update to play it online. We've come up with a few solutions for this, but (among other things) I would need a 32GB memcard, and I'm waiting for some finances to clear up before I can purchase it.

For the record, here's our current thoughts on how it would work:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/translation-phantasy-star-online-2-vita.441936/#post-6701467

Opinions on this are more than welcome in the other thread.

Last edited by AIDA,
Reactions: Abu_Senpai

Toni456

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, but you also need to be able to use the HEHkaku exploit. In other words, firmware 3.60 NOT the latest 3.61.
If you have access to a HENkaku vita then yes you can use it on 3.61 :)

Awesome work btw! so excited for this :D

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
@AIDA why dont you make a homebrew installer/updater similar to VPKMIRROR so you launch it and it lets you install/update the translation file, it would be so sweet

tenkai_2.0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have access to a HENkaku vita then yes you can use it on 3.61 :)

Awesome work btw! so excited for this :D
Thanks but how can i check what my ps vita is on?
EDIT: I have system software 3.52 so I guess I am ok? Also nova has local and online multiplayer correct?

Last edited by tenkai_2.0,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s