Persona 4: Arena is PS3's first region-locked game.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by emigre, Jul 6, 2012.

1. emigre
    OP

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

This wouldn't that bad, but a sAtlus games tend to take fucking ages to reach Europe, importing is a nice option to have. Atlus really need to sort out a European division or at least come into a secure publishing deal with someone like Ghostlight or Deep Silver to do it for them. Some sort of simultaneous release will go a long way in not pissing off the fanbase (aka me).

2. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    even wii had region protection.

3. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    seems like a wierd time and a wierd game to implement this on

4. FrozenIndignatio

Member FrozenIndignatio Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad

Australia
    Yep... I was really hoping to import this too >_

5. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Seems like this was already being talked about a week or two ago; supposedly the reason was that Japanese prices are so high that it'd actually be cheaper to import the NA version and pay taxes, shipping, etc. than it would be to buy it from a Japanese retailer. I don't know how true that is, but given how close the releases are (something like two weeks apart) it wouldn't surprise me. It's a shame that Europe would get the short end of the stick because of something like that, though.

6. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    I hope this doesn't become a trend.

1 person likes this.
  7. Izzy011

Member Izzy011 The Business Bitch

United States
    Maybe servers will be region locked too to prevent lag.

8. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    It's surprising that a company as awesome as Atlus would be the first to do something like this on the console.

If they were doing a simultaneous launch for all regions, it'd make more sense.

9. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    Any reason as to why they did this?
    I know I shouldn't really care about this since it's coming here to the states, it just seems weird to do something like this out of the blue.

10. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Not surprising. They might be a great company if your in NA or Japan, but they are just awful if you are Europe. Games from them simply not released in Europe, released with huge delays and insist on region locking (360 games).

11. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    For some reason Atlus refuses to set up publishing operations in Europe. After 20 years in the states, you'd think they'd have saved up the capital to try it.

1 person likes this.
  12. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Doesn't pretty much every company screw over EU?
    At least that's the impression I got from...every game forum ever.

13. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Used to. Not so bad now. Most games on the 360 and ps3 get released same sort of time now, difference of a couple of days (Tuesday in NA, Friday in EU). There's the odd exception, but mostly not too bad. Wii is a little worse, seems to be a lot more games that have delays compared to the other two consoles, but even then, it's not too bad. Even Nintendo who seemed to have a burning hatred for Europe last gen has gotten better.

There are some hold outs though, Atlus being a example. No European division. Won't set up a bulk publishing deal for their games and still region lock, so if someone doesn't pick it up, we don't get it. If they can't be bothered with Europe, they could at least leave it region free.

14. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Wait... PlayStation 3 games were never region locked til now? Are you serious? So I could import the somewhat rare games from japan that do have English text and play them? WTF! This knowledge comes very late in the ps3 life cycle.

15. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Europe hasn't been so bad the last few years, companies like Square Enix, Nintendo, Sega and a few others are growing in Europe, look at Nintendo for example, a few years ago it lacked a lot of stuff here, now we get almost the same stuff as the US and sometimes we get some stuff that they don't get (like Inazuma Eleven, Pandora's Tower, and some others), not to mention that there's several stuff being released earlier here, the original 3DS, the 3DS XL next month and quite a few games.

But yeah, Atlus needs to establish itself in Europe, or make some sort of partnership with Ghostlight, I just love them, they have such a great service and limited editions.

16. Frank Cadena

Member Frank Cadena GBAtemp Fan

Brunei
    I don't know how I feel about that. On one hand I don't mind because I could still play this game when I get it, which is selfish of me I know, but on the other hand if I didn't have an American console I would be really pissed right now. I really, really, really love Persona games. Even if it is a fighting game, which I suck at.

17. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Have you been living under a rock? o__O I thought people generally new that you could play games from any region on any PS3.

OT: This is kinda stupid. If the new PS4 console is released in 2015 or so, why start the region locking now, when over half the consoles life cycle has passed? :I

18. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Atlus has released a statement regarding the region locking.

For me it's tl;dr and I don't even care about the game so you can look for yourselves at the link.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-07-atlus-launches-impassioned-defence-of-persona-4-arena-ps3-region-lock

19. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    yep, it's been like this for quite a while now.

20. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    more corporal BS as expected, they are basically saying "we are trying to protect our investments so to squeeze as much money as possible from each region we will region lock the game to maximize profits hur hur $_$ "