Gaming Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Time for a Fan Translation?

LeonDeka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
if we could get some old tools from some other persona game that was fan localized, maybe we could start something :)

Hmmm, It could be hard. I don't know of any other SMT games for PSP that were fan localized...

I'd definitely be willing to contribute if a project or something comes up.

Awesome! Glad to hear folks are interested! I do wonder, if we did localize, would we lift the translation from EP-PS1 onto the PSP, or would we make it more true so it blends well with IS-PSP?

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, It could be hard. I don't know of any other SMT games for PSP that were fan localized...

Awesome! Glad to hear folks are interested! I do wonder, if we did localize, would we lift the translation from EP-PS1 onto the PSP, or would we make it more true so it blends well with IS-PSP?
The majority of the script is the same as the english P2:EP (PS1). If it were up to me, I'd keep it true to the PSP release, meaning the updated names and stuff that we saw in the PSP release of P2:IS would still be in P2:EP.

So, the second option. :P

LeonDeka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The majority of the script is the same as the english P2:EP (PS1). If it were up to me, I'd keep it true to the PSP release, meaning the updated names and stuff that we saw in the PSP release of P2:IS would still be in P2:EP.

So, the second option. :P

Well, I support you in your efforts! If I could help in any-way, I will try! I can't translate, but I can edit and proofread.

Reactions: Margen67

Arizato

Memento Mori
Trophies
XP
Country
if we could get some old tools from some other persona game that was fan localized, maybe we could start something :)

Didn't get any answers from wololo. But I want to ask you: just extracted the contents of the ISO. Which file contains the text?

EDIT: Managed to unpack P2PT_ALL.cpk. Got alot of BNP and BIN files, also a few GIM files. They are named stuff like "CD_SHOP.bin" and "_ENEMY.BNP". I guess I must've found the right files?

Arizato

Memento Mori
Trophies
XP
Country

I think I've made a little progress! Think I just found some tables for selecting names for characters in bj.bin. Might be wrong though, but this is the first time I've found something in the files which is actually readable.

Tayruu

Where is Self?
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
taylor.revasser.net
XP
Country
New Zealand
I wish I could contribute to this in some way. I have little to no experience in hacking, and though I'd say I'm fairly confident with graphic design I imagine a lot of graphic replacement could be done merely by carrying it over from ISPSP, just like skill names, item names, and other non-dialogue strings.

Living in New Zealand I can't play the PSX version of P2EP, and even then I would much rather be playing the improved port.

Arizato

Memento Mori
Trophies
XP
Country
I wish I could contribute to this in some way. I have little to no experience in hacking, and though I'd say I'm fairly confident with graphic design I imagine a lot of graphic replacement could be done merely by carrying it over from ISPSP, just like skill names, item names, and other non-dialogue strings.

Living in New Zealand I can't play the PSX version of P2EP, and even then I would much rather be playing the improved port.

Really want to get this started too. But the situation looks pretty dark right now. Been spending these last 2-3 days looking through these files and I cannot make any sense out of them. There are also no graphic files at all. I'm starting to suspect these files are compressed in some weird way and I do not know how to unpack them.

LeonDeka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What extraction tools do you use? I've got alot of free time these days so I could make a solid attempt at trying to decompress.

Emphasis on "try"! :P

Tayruu

Where is Self?
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
taylor.revasser.net
XP
Country
New Zealand
So you don't have a PSP? Even then you could emulate on your computer.
More like the PSOne Classic isn't on the NZ/AUS PSN store. And I doubt it ever will be. (Or on any PSN but the American one. Phah.)

... I actually tried emulating it, only not only do I find the old interface and grammatical issues really grating, but the game crashes during the first boss. Yaaay.

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
More like the PSOne Classic isn't on the NZ/AUS PSN store. And I doubt it ever will be. (Or on any PSN but the American one. Phah.)

... I actually tried emulating it, only not only do I find the old interface and grammatical issues really grating, but the game crashes during the first boss. Yaaay.
Well with CFW you can play a copy of the PSN version on your PSP, but that would be piracy.
Or you could create an US PSN account, but you'll need a US credit card for payment or import a US pre-paid card. But that should be cheaper then importing Japanese PSN cards.

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The game uses a custom font, syscg.bin contains the *.gim font images.
If i had to guess, i would say *.bnp files contains the text, but
with a custom japanese font the first step is to code a text extractor/inserter.
I'm not a fan of Persona or SMT, so i'm not going to write any tools for it.

@Zmizk
The bj.bin only contains *.gim images.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: