Hacking Permanently disable AVLS with homebrew?

Razor83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm looking for a way to disable the AVLS feature present on some models of European PS Vita's.

For those who dont know AVLS (Automatic Volume Limiter System) is a setting which limits the maximum volume level:-
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/psvita/settings/avls.html
When you attempt to turn up the volume it will stop at 21 'clicks' out of 30, and 'AVLS' flashes on the screen:-
8xqqcGAm.jpgl

Apparently this was implimented in European PS Vita's due to European regulations?:-
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS-Vita-Support/AVLS-Problem/td-p/17817920
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/69573738

Early 1000 model European PS Vita consoles have AVLS, but this can be permanently disabled by unchecking a tick box in the "Sound & Display" settings:-
ogdsJCam.jpg

Later 1000 models and all 2000 'slim' model European PS Vita's have the same AVLS setting, but unchecking it only disables AVLS temporarily - either for 20 hours or until you turn the system off and on again. In particular this last bit is really annoying, as it means everytime you restart your PS Vita you have to go into the settings to disable AVLS again before you can turn the volume up fully. Here is a picture of the message which pops-up everytime you untick the AVLS setting on a 2000 slim model:-
oueXJhTm.jpg

Note that this pop-up message does not appear at all on early 1000 models.

I believe this change occured when Sony switched the audio DAC chip used in the PS Vita:-
Early 1000 models = Wolfson Microelectronics WM1803E
Later 1000/All 2000 models = Wolfson Microelectronics WM1804E
HEkmBTx.png

Presumably the new audio chip is capable of louder volumes, so the AVLS setting for Europe had to be adjusted?

TLDR: I want to permanently disable AVLS on all European PS Vita models using something like VitaToolbox.

Last edited by Razor83,
Reactions: Roah and Langin

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Yes,i am very annoyed by AVLS,hope someone make a way to remove it.
Why the US/JP Vita don't have it?
Maybe there a way to inject the US file system to EU file system?

Razor83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I also made a thread about this matter.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/question...in-general-with-homebrew.439471/#post-6633832

Sadly its not solved but its really interesting that they've changed audio chips. :)
I'm surprised your thread didnt appear in any of my recent google searches! I probably wouldn't have made my own thread if I had seen such a recent post :unsure:

...Although hopefully the more exposure we can get about this issue, the greater the chance that someone will find a solution :)

Maybe you can try with registry editor in CONFIG\SOUND
Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried this and unfortunately it didnt work :(

On my European 2000 model it shows "avls:1", but changing it to "avls:0" does not appear to disable AVLS. It does appear to uncheck the AVLS tick box in the settings menu, but it doesnt actually disable the AVLS volume limit!? Also upon rebooting the setting changes back to "avls:1".

I also messed with "avls_timer" changing it between 1 and 0, but that didnt appear to make any difference either.

Last edited by Razor83,

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
im having the same issue ! i did not know about this, though i rarely put the volume to the max, its usually set to 50-70% for me .

but it would be awesome to get rid of this stupid restriction through hax :l

hopefully we will be rid of it eventually.

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm....if i were to bump that "Master_volume" beyond 20...could the Vita get LOUDER and its just restricted by the system itself rather than the speakers? I am hearing impaired (about 40% hearing) and wanting the system louder

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised your thread didnt appear in any of my recent google searches! I probably wouldn't have made my own thread if I had seen such a recent post :unsure:

...Although hopefully the more exposure we can get about this issue, the greater the chance that someone will find a solution :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried this and unfortunately it didnt work :(

On my European 2000 model it shows "avls:1", but changing it to "avls:0" does not appear to disable AVLS. It does appear to uncheck the AVLS tick box in the settings menu, but it doesnt actually disable the AVLS volume limit!? Also upon rebooting the setting changes back to "avls:1".

I also messed with "avls_timer" changing it between 1 and 0, but that didnt appear to make any difference either.

changing the timer to 1 sets it to 1 second

i told someone to set theirs to an obnoxiously large number to see if it helped, but it wasn't a permanent fix so they got mad!

Razor83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just bumping this thread as due to all the recent PS Vita homebrew developments (and with Henkaku Enso fast approaching) I thought maybe someone could make a homebrew app capable of permanently disabling AVLS on European PS Vita's?

Last edited by Razor83,

Zm1231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know sony seems to use the same system software worldwide on retail versions at-least, there is only flags and reg settings that set the region and other settings im not sure where it is. But if you could find a way to change some settings to make your vita think it is a US version you may be able to disable that setting permanently as I believe since it has the eu flags/settings the avls turns back on even if you edit the registry. Another thing that may work I'm not sure i never tried it but if i remember correctly on the ps3 if you converted your ps3 to a Debug system you could change the region via Debug menu and it would stay maybe that could be done with the vita dex files that where released not to long ago then after you change the region use the firmware re-installer app released by the same person who released the dex files to re flash back to stock 3.60 and maybe it will keep the region change

Last edited by Zm1231,

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
Upppp

I hope we can see one day a plugin to disable it forever..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
This is great news! It was so damn annoying to continuously disable AVLS on the Slim Vita.

I downgraded to the 1000 model, so this is no longer an issue for me. But i now how it feels to repeatedly, go into settings and disable it again and again.

bomigoton

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are no more files on github, did it move elsewhere?

I think we can find it here
https://store.brewology.com/vita/ahomebrew.php?brewid=413
and maybe on homebrew browser, will look later

Edit:
githubfiles are back online. I also attached the file to this post.
Works great! I am on 3.67 with h-encore

Installation:
Place noavls.skprx into ux0:tai (or ur0:tai)
then edit config.txt and add "ux0:tai/noavls.skprx" (or ur0:tai/noavls.skprx depending on what your using)
under the *KERNEL entry

Attachments

• noavls.zip
    1 KB · Views: 252
Last edited by bomigoton,
Reactions: cvskid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then