Perfect Wii Modchip not possible?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by KillerMiller, Sep 16, 2007.

Sep 16, 2007
  1. KillerMiller
    OP

Newcomer KillerMiller Advanced Member

Germany
    I am someone how can really wait, but waiting for a perfect modchip that simply plays every game from every region seems never to happen for the Wii.

So is it not possible to have a full region free Wii modchip?
    What exactly is the technical barrier for such a modchip?

Another thing that bothers me are those Wii updates, is it possible that in the near future they release an update that renders the Wiikey for example useless, isnt it a big risk to chip a Wii?

2. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    There's one thing I do know: the Wii is region protected, that's why import games give problems.

Systems like the DS or GBA don't have this problem as they're region free.

3. Raze1988

Newcomer Raze1988 Advanced Member

Austria
    If a new update is available, i'm waiting and check the internets if there are problems.

If Nintendo really brix every modded wii in the future, there are 2 possibilities:

1) Hackers, man! Nothing is impossible.
    2) There are times where you lose. No big deal.

4. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    1.Not yet.
    2. You'd probably need to be able to run Wii homebrew (not GC) and hack and dump the Wii's system firmware. The way i'd imagine it would be is with custom firmware that adds in NTSC countries and settings to a PAL Wii and via versa. Not something to be done lightly.

3. It's possible. Historically speaking though it's not that likely. Nintendo probably wont brick consoles or whatever that have been modded but they wont care if an upcoming firmware accidentally breaks it.

5. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    why can a drivechip like xenogc make my gamecube regionfree? i think it should also be possible on the wii.

i hope the wiikey update will make the gamecube games fully regionfree without swap. then wii games are next.

6. Hit

Member Hit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I'm just buying original games!
    Though when some real good modchip appears ill let somebody install it
    Though all chips out now are shit

7. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    i believe that since all chips out right now are drive chips you dont have to worry about a firmware update breaking it. especially since most keys are upgradable by updating the eeprom.

try regionfrii or something like that to assist with games out of your region working with the modchip of your choice.

the wii isn't even a year old so i wouldnt ay anything isn't possible
    but the options that are out already are really good especially for their age

8. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    I have to agree that given its age the Wii mod chips are at reasonable level of performance. Given time all these problems will be fixed. And just because a stock console is region locked is no reason that a modchip couldn't work around this. Its been done before with other consoles.