Pepe Le Pew was removed from Space Jam 2 - Legacy!

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I don't get it. Pepe never managed to seduce anyone he tried to, any more than Johnny Bravo. His behaviour wasn't one that got him the girls, it was one that made everyone want to get away from him. It wasn't portraid as a positive thing.

Reactions: The_Hulkster

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't get it. Pepe never managed to seduce anyone he tried to, any more than Johnny Bravo. His behaviour wasn't one that got him the girls, it was one that made everyone want to get away from him. It wasn't portraid as a positive thing.
Usually ladies treated badly Johnny Bravo,but he had one girl woman with his narcisttic type of personality named Jane.

Johnny Bravo hairstyle and glasses reminds me of blone guy male protagonist from Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Last edited by Luke94,

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Furthermore old Looney Tunes have their share of racist portrayals and jokes. The solution was to simply stop making these kinds of jokes with the characters in modern incarnations. I understand that would be more difficult with one like Pepe whose entire schtick is being creepy, but they could have just cut out the part of his personality where he persists beyond refusal and make him a more Brock-type of character who falls in love with everyone and gets refused - often physically painfully. Granted, that would make him an antagonist more than anything since there would be no redeeming quality seen in his behaviour, but we can easily also consider Yosemite Sam and Silvester antagonists in many of their episodes. Either way, Pepe was always a minor character to me and quite forgettable. He wasn't a central figure of the LT universe, which has more than enough characters to keep people busy and entertained with. Still, I am disappointed to again see a bail approach rather than a nuanced and rational move.

Looney Tunes are very old and by many standards, a lot of who these characters are and what they do is out of date - it is either irrelevant, some jokes are no longer understandable by today's generation, some stuff is inappropriate - be it for intensity of violence, smoking, racism, etc.. To keep these characters relevant today, they need to be brought up to date. Their studios acknowledge - in part by also producing new content of them such as SJ2 - that there is a continued desire to keep these characters relevant and up to date. It is their job. By refusing to do the same with Pepe, they have thrown in the towel.

Last edited by Searinox,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Johnny Bravos behavior is vaguely similar. He hits on a girl, girl hits him hard. Rinse and repeat. Remember the time he went on a date with a deer? Anyway... Pepe relentlessly pursues one cat. Constantly hugging and attempting to kiss her. It's... Well... It's just downright shitty and scummy.

Granted, if Bravo was canceled, I'd be a hypocrite if I argued against that.

In theory, they could give him a redemption episode. Wherein he is shown the error of his ways and changes. He'd keep his "suave" attitude, but would take no for an answer and back off. The question that remains; would it matter? He's just a fictional character in a fictional world. It would be easier, and safer, to just erase his character entirely. Rather than run the risk of further anger from those who view him as an enemy. Even at the sign of possible redemption.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Johnny Bravos behavior is vaguely similar. He hits on a girl, girl hits him hard. Rinse and repeat. Remember the time he went on a date with a deer? Anyway... Pepe relentlessly pursues one cat. Constantly hugging and attempting to kiss her. It's... Well... It's just downright shitty and scummy.

Granted, if Bravo was canceled, I'd be a hypocrite if I argued against that.

In theory, they could give him a redemption episode. Wherein he is shown the error of his ways and changes. He'd keep his "suave" attitude, but would take no for an answer and back off. The question that remains; would it matter? He's just a fictional character in a fictional world. It would be easier, and safer, to just erase his character entirely. Rather than run the risk of further anger from those who view him as an enemy. Even at the sign of possible redemption.
Well EarthBound Nintendo GameCube remake was cancelled even MOTHER 3 for SNES,N64 and N64DD,ports of Unreal 1 for N64 and PS1,Jazz Jackrabit 3,Sonic-16,Sonic Mars,Sonic X-Treme were cancelled games. Even original series of Animaniacs were cancelled to continue.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Quagmire,Master Roshi were kind of like James Bond.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

He was a horrible caricature of a a French Man, Smelly, Rapey, and that accent.
Of course he should be cancelled we dont protray people like that now.
French people stereotypes. Same for Antoine D'Coolette he easily surrender,always behaving in Sonic Satam such as coward,goofy,flirting princess Sally Acorn,causing troubles such as Jar Jar Binks(comic relief stuff).

Last edited by Luke94,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

French people stereotypes. Same for Antoine D'Coolette he easily surrender,always behaving in Sonic Satam such as coward,goofy,flirting princess Sally Acorn,causing troubles such as Jar Jar Binks(comic relief stuff).
They should ban master roshi in the dragon ball fighters game and all future dragon ball games and shows

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
i wished todays people stopped talking about people and start talking with people again.
i laughed my ass off with history of the world part one while i was a christian, and it really killed it.
lost my religion later, but still...
stereo types might be annoying to some, that's no reason in my book to ban it for all people.
jokes that are good tend to be a bit wrong for a situation, so yeah to be funny should mean that you can cross a line.
i need my jokes, and i don't care if you make a foul or a criminal out of me in a cartoon or joke, but if you do, better make it worth laughin.
please, pepe le pew didn't kill anyone in real life nor even ever raped anyone, just made a joke, and told a tale about how to deal with creeps
creeps don'tr go away because you don't wanna see them...

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I can get an argument for excluding such behaviors from a children's film because there has always been control over not portraying certain examples. But given that he was never a role model and was insufferable - I myself dislike him - to every other character, arguing that he is encouraging or normalizing something is like arguing that any cartoon antagonist is normalizing any terrible attitude or threat they cause to others. Which they don't.

Arguing against a french stereotype also has more weight to it, especially tied to an unpleasant character who's only ever there just to harass others. I'm sure something could be done here too. There's characters with other accents depending on their origins everywhere in fiction, and I'm sure something could be worked out to make him still feel "french" while not making him stereotypical.

To that end I say, he's your character Warner Bros.. It's your job to fix him. Instead you decided to be lazy and scrub him.

But my biggest problem is really the normalization argument has become a gateway for all manner of morality policing in which people are engaging in essentially madness by erasing the boundaries between fantasy and reality and trying to put both on the same position of reprehensibility. Yes it's a kids' show and some things do get curated. But look at what has actually happened: they removed a character with a problematic behavior to show they don't condone it IRL. Should we also remove all manner of other villains that harm or put other characters' lives in danger and have horrible personalities and values because we obviously don't condone that either?

If not, why make such a distinct exception for Sexually-Related stuff? We are in 2021 and continue to treat Sexuality as its own thing that is not defined by its actual components and is somehow this one and very separate and distinct thing from everything else that has this completely different framework of understanding, a framework that has roots in archaic, arbitrary social norms mostly of judeo-christian origin, and that each generation of science and reason has repeatedly had to push back against by starting the Difficult Debates of its time. Big surprise, when we did finally overcome emotion and talked facts, we quickly found they hadn't a leg to stand on. Thus, as Milennials and Gen X-ers we consider ourselves as having achieved some manner of breakthrough with LGBT rights and sex positivity, while paradoxally setting in our own red lines for obscenity and moral panic around sexuality.

Last edited by Searinox,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

Don't forget Herbet. They think child pedophilia is funny

The amount of likes this video has disgusts me. More people like it then dislike it. Child pedophilia is not funny this whole country is sick. Creepy old men are not funny.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

The amount of likes this video has disgusts me. More people like it then dislike it. Child pedophilia is not funny this whole country is sick. Creepy old men are not funny.

It's he/him. This old man is so weird. In one episode Chris made big mess on his house.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania

Yes he is a terrible person. We've also had terrorists and genocidal dictators in satire or dark humor media. You know, people who have murdered millions. Nobody argues the acts themselves are funny or lighthearted. That doesn't mean they can't be used to explore some manners of humor. For one these are the kinds of people you love to hate. No it's not for everyone. Trigger warnings? Maybe...? I mean there are age warnings to these shows so why not? But more than that? No. Nobody's getting hurt. And the people who see this and think it's okay to do it IRL have a whole different kind of Problem anyway.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes he is a terrible person. We've also had terrorists and genocidal dictators in satire or dark humor media. You know, people who have murdered millions. Nobody argues the acts themselves are funny or lighthearted. That doesn't mean they can't be used to explore some manners of humor. For one these are the kinds of people you love to hate. No it's not for everyone. Trigger warnings? Maybe...? I mean there are age warnings to these shows so why not? But more than that? No. Nobody's getting hurt. And the people who see this and think it's okay to do it IRL have a whole different kind of Problem anyway.
Walter Disney and Leon Schlesinger loved joking about Isoroku Yamamoto,Adolf Hitler(he was jewish),Benito Mussolini. Including Popeye cartoon tv mini-series.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I have a question; are any of you mad that cartoons are no longer used to advertise cigarettes? Do you believe that marketability for them should still go toward children? If not, why? Cancel culture ruined the tobacco industry a long time ago when they, *the* cancel culture themselves, stopped television networks and other forms of media from marketing tobacco products in a way that were appealing to children. That and those obviously made up health warnings. They're not doctors. They don't know. And kids gotta be able to smoke when we finally repeal child labor laws (something *else* this ridiculous cancel culture induced). We need those tiny hands back so they can fit inside dangerous machinery more easily. A cigarette in their mouth helps them focus. I mean fuck, cancel culture is just ruining life as we know it. Now even rapists don't have a mascot, and society is on the brink of collapsing because of it.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have a question; are any of you mad that cartoons are no longer used to advertise cigarettes? Do you believe that marketability for them should still go toward children? If not, why? Cancel culture ruined the tobacco industry a long time ago when they, *the* cancel culture themselves, stopped television networks and other forms of media from marketing tobacco products in a way that were appealing to children. That and those obviously made up health warnings. They're not doctors. They don't know. And kids gotta be able to smoke when we finally repeal child labor laws (something *else* this ridiculous cancel culture induced). We need those tiny hands back so they can fit inside dangerous machinery more easily. A cigarette in their mouth helps them focus. I mean fuck, cancel culture is just ruining life as we know it. Now even rapists don't have a mascot, and society is on the brink of collapsing because of it.
Such as Pete the Cat first original design,Popeye the Sailorman,Cruella Devile,Rick and Morty?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol