• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

People who confess to crimes and post their biometric data online

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,488
  • Replies 14
D

Deleted User

OP
x1rtstv7c2n31.jpg

I'm making this thread because of the recent actions of the reddit user california_king. He made a post claiming that he bought a copy of Link's Awakening several days before its release date and posted a photo of it while driving. His fingerprints are in the photograph. In the comments, he acknowledges the copy may be stolen. In his other posts, he includes a whole body photo showing his face and he claims to have used narcotics.

Assuming this copy is stolen, even if he didn't make a post about it, if he played it then connected his Switch online, Nintendo can probably detect the game's certificate belongs to a copy which mysteriously went missing before the game was released.

So why hasn't he been arrested? I'm guessing the American police have bigger issues to deal with than some guy who commits some relatively minor crimes. But even so, if he looks for a new job in the future, his background check will raise a few red flags, certain countries might deny him entry when traveling overseas and if American Authorities decide to lock him up for any reason, they already have an excuse to do so.

I think he's unnecessarily putting himself in danger. It would be safer for him to say nothing. Maybe I'm just a fearmongerer. I don't fucking know.

Last edited by ,

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I think he's unnecessarily putting himself in danger. It would be safer for him to say nothing. Maybe I'm just a fearmongerer. I don't fucking know

It's modern-day natural selection. There was a story on here a couple of years back about a guy who filmed himself speeding down a highway and posted it on Facebook.

Technology is just the latest in a long line of ways for stupid people to get themselves into trouble.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's modern-day natural selection. There was a story on here a couple of years back about a guy who filmed himself speeding down a highway and posted it on Facebook.

Technology is just the latest in a long line of ways for stupid people to get themselves into trouble.
Yep, used to be often that the perpetrator returning to the scene of the crime is what would get them caught. Now they just record themselves during the process of committing the crime and post it online.

Reactions: Pleng

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why hasn't he been arrested? I'm guessing the American police have bigger issues to deal with than some guy who commits some relatively minor crimes. But even so, if he looks for a new job in the future, his background check will raise a few red flags, certain countries might deny him entry when traveling overseas and if American Authorities decide to lock him up for any reason, they already have an excuse to do so.
Why do you think Nintendo cares so much, they would only really care if you posted a copy online, you gotta remember a lot of people get the game early, either by mail, or they take it from a place they work, or pay a friend to give it to them early, Nintendo never really knows unless the game is recalled. Currently if he did steal it, stock won't be checked until after release day. But most of all you gotta remember, Nintendo expects this to happen, there's nothing they can do to stop it due to different shipping times to different parts of the country, it's just a video game in the end.

Not saying you won't get arrested, but it will be Walmart/GameStop security, not Nintendo, they probably won't be alerted to it other then a mark right next to all their other stolen goods.

Last edited by Ericthegreat,
Reactions: Ryccardo and Xzi

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
But even so, if he looks for a new job in the future, his background check will raise a few red flags, certain countries might deny him entry when traveling overseas and if American Authorities decide to lock him up for any reason, they already have an excuse to do so.
Damnit right! I don't want that terrorist to come near my beloved continent!!! :angry:

... But seriously : he bought a game early. The release date is what? Two days from now? That means it's being shipped to stores all over the world now. So the potential suspects are in the millions. I guess Nintendo could file a complaint, but why would they (assuming he doesn't create an image from it to share online (1))? It might indeed be stolen, but that's up to Nintendo to prove, which is hard. Yes, they can probably trace it back to the store, but even if they come around there, the store cleric can just provide a copy of the sale purchase. And I really don't think "selling a game before the release date" is illegal (2).

(1): unlike at was his name? Kong nuts? Iirc, He got an early copy of New super mario bros wii, ripped it, posted it online and bragged about it on GBATemp. Nintendo wasn't pleased, too say the least
(2): that would mean Sega would have been acting illegal as well, when they sold their Dagmar prior to their own official release day

EDIT: noteworthy : the police probably cares more that he's showcasing a game with one hand and making a photograph with another WHILE DRIVING. Unlike this petty show - off of a game, that's actually something important to consider

Last edited by Taleweaver,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
So why hasn't he been arrested?
Petty crimes. You are engaging in something thats akin to 'old men with too much time on their hand syndrom', if police would aimlessly follow your suggestion to extract fingerprints out of a hires photo and run it against their database to then arrest the thief of a 50USD product it would clog their facilities, it would clog courthouses, and it would establish the notion of living in a totalitarian police state. Its important that people get away with some stuff, or else almost everyone would be a criminal looked at with enough scrutiny.

Also - how does that chain of evidence go. "You stole it", "No I bought it from that guy", "No you stole it - that guy on the internet said so."?

How does that chain of evidence go?

"I bought it." "Did he buy this from you?" "No." "But I did." "Sir, give out the security cam footage."?

How does the court process go. "I thereby sentence you to a week in prison, and a money payment of 200 USD, do never do that again?"

In most democratic countries, that case would probably be dismissed, if he is not a repeat offender. And police would only go after it, if there was a 'damaged party' that insisted (i.e. the shopowner called them).

As 'people posting evidence on social media goes' - police already screens that. Just hopefully not to the point where they do data forensics, on a simple 'potential thief'.

Look, that guy wears a watch, thats obviously too expensive for the rest of his Instagram pictures. Arrest him. (If you do that, you produce 'social chilling'.)

As for drugs, if they are 'decriminalized' ownership in amounts for personal use - slides by. In any case 'use' is often (depending on where in the world you live) not a crime, but possession is. How much sense do you think it would make for police to 'swat' his house, just because 'he seemed to have had some in the past'?

If hes dumb enough to advertise using, facebook will ban his account though.

Or take his money, if he wants them to advertise opioids, microtargeted, to middle/old age folks.

Last edited by notimp,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damnit right! I don't want that terrorist to come near my beloved continent!!! :angry:

... But seriously : he bought a game early. The release date is what? Two days from now? That means it's being shipped to stores all over the world now. So the potential suspects are in the millions. I guess Nintendo could file a complaint, but why would they (assuming he doesn't create an image from it to share online (1))? It might indeed be stolen, but that's up to Nintendo to prove, which is hard. Yes, they can probably trace it back to the store, but even if they come around there, the store cleric can just provide a copy of the sale purchase. And I really don't think "selling a game before the release date" is illegal (2).

(1): unlike at was his name? Kong nuts? Iirc, He got an early copy of New super mario bros wii, ripped it, posted it online and bragged about it on GBATemp. Nintendo wasn't pleased, too say the least
(2): that would mean Sega would have been acting illegal as well, when they sold their Dagmar prior to their own official release day

EDIT: noteworthy : the police probably cares more that he's showcasing a game with one hand and making a photograph with another WHILE DRIVING. Unlike this petty show - off of a game, that's actually something important to consider
The real thing is let's say he actully stole the game, he should get life in prison? Lol

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming this took place in the USA, drug use tends not to be a crime, unless you are visibly intoxicated in public or operating a vehicle. Also, "confessing" things online isn't admissible evidence in most cases. People say all kinds if things to try and impress others. I'd guess less than half of it is even remotely true.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
His car is still moving while he's taking the photo too!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place. +1