Penny Arcade Sells Out

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Gahars, Jul 10, 2012.

Jul 10, 2012

Penny Arcade Sells Out by Gahars at 8:53 PM (440 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Penny-Arcade is a pretty big name in the gaming community. It's one of (if not the) most successful web comics out there, has provided commentary on geek culture for over a decade, and spawned PAX, a popular games expo. And now, they're giving Kickstarter a whirl.

Gabe and Tycho are, in a nutshell, hoping to remove all advertisements from their website. The more fans put in, the less ads they would have to put up with, which leaves more room for meaningful content.

The Kickstarter Project, for anyone interested.

It's an interesting idea, asking fans to fund the website directly rather than through advertisements. If this little experiment ends up working out, we could easily see other websites following suit.

Still, I can't help but wonder when we'll get our FF2000 Kickstarter. I'm a busy man, and I need my fruit freshly pulverized now, damn it!

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I would rather see them use the money for something else. If people are concerned about the ads, they should just get Adblock.

2 people like this.
  3. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Yes, except if everyone used adblock, they would have no ad revenue.
    Thus they would need this kickstarter even more (or use more invasive ads that adblock can't cut out).