PEGI will soon have a warning label for physical games that offer in-game purchases

in-game-purchase-black-EN.jpg

The European rating's board, PEGI, has announced that they'll be adding a new label warning for physical games that have in-game purchases. Any video game that offers microtransactions, lootboxes, or downloadable content will now have a small logo on the back of its box denoting such. PEGI already uses a similar method for digital-only games, but this will be a first for them to have on physical retail releases. This change was prompted by the recent removal of paid lootboxes in some European territories, as well as a new consumer survey that was done, describing that 40% of children play video games and spend real-life money on in-game content.

Purchase offers within games has become a broad phenomenon, and it is necessary to provide the same level of consumer information on both physical and digital releases. Considering that physical releases are an important part of the market, this was an important gap to fill. For a parent who may not be fully familiar with the video games landscape, seeing this simple descriptor on the packaging of a game they consider buying should trigger the reflex of keeping an eye on the gameplay, once the game has been purchased and given to the child. It's basic information, but that's what parents sometimes feel they are lacking.

This new warning label will appear on physical copies of games starting later this year.

:arrow: Source

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
And all the parents who buy their ten year olds a copy of an 18/Mature/Adult game will definitely be put off by a sticker that warns about IAPs.
Ok, but it's still good to be upfront about it.
Google store shows if an app or game has it (maybe Apple too), so physical games should too, because it's a good idea.

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
Again for American buyers. This is for the European market and not the American market but everyone here is treating it like it will be also on American boxes. It won't wich is a good thing since it doesn't look all that pretty
I think the icon looks good, also either way it's still good to have. The ESRB logo could look better but it's still a good thing to have for parents.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And all the parents who buy their ten year olds a copy of an 18/Mature/Adult game will definitely be put off by a sticker that warns about IAPs.
Sure, as the parent I'm not, I couldn't care less about my kid playing some hentai city massacre game. But my bank account is golden.

badparenting.com

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again for American buyers. This is for the European market and not the American market but everyone here is treating it like it will be also on American boxes. It won't wich is a good thing since it doesn't look all that pretty
IF you think the Pegi icon is bad, go look at the Germany box art. I try to avoid importing games from Germany, because of that nasty icon.

bTES6Mj.jpg
d3mu4qv.jpg

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
IF you think the Pegi icon is bad, go look at the Germany box art. I try to avoid importing games from Germany, because of that nasty icon.

bTES6Mj.jpg
d3mu4qv.jpg
I agree. Unfortunately around 90% of my games have the nasty USK symbol.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
What if the game gets released without any microtransactions but gets an update which brings microtransactions to the table?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What if the game gets released without any microtransactions but gets an update which brings microtransactions to the table?
Nintendo, at least on the 3DS, has a policy (dictated by technical implementation) where the rating cannot be changed between updates

(No doubt some "victim" will try to argue that the update is not technically mandatory to install; but that "defense" didn't work for $ony when, after removing OtherOS from PS3 Fats, they became retroactively guilty of false advertising that console)

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not too familiar with those thing... but it says PEGI is european rater
So I guess, ERSB is american's, right?
If so, do you think they'll follow?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, IMO, rating is useless...
I mean, those thing aren't for adult who wants to play
They are for parents who buy video games for their kid
And yet, there are still lot of parents who buy games like GTAV to their 8 years old kids

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
but it says PEGI is european rater
Yes

Also, IMO, rating is useless...
I mean, those thing aren't for adult who wants to play
They are for parents who buy video games for their kid
And yet, there are still lot of parents who buy games like GTAV to their 8 years old kids
It is indeed just advice (in most countries - the UK isn't one)
In the free market, people deserve the right to buy whatever they want (at their own risk, if they don't do their research)

Not that most of my friends, who played San Andreas in their 10s, are murderers/thieves/druglords

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The "parents buy adult games for their kids all the time" argument is stupid. It's about informing the parents that the new game that little Jimmy wants could be the reason of the credit card overcharge. For the majority of parents, it's a much more serious thing to know than having guns in a videogame.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not too familiar with those thing... but it says PEGI is european rater
If so, do you think they'll follow?
Yes, Trump will have them put a big scary red warning that the game may not be fun if it doesn't have micro-transactions.

Reactions: Noctosphere

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know why that icon entertains me so much

Will do literally nothing. But it got me to chuckle, so that's something I suppose.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @AncientBoi my condolences to both of you +1