PEGI will soon have a warning label for physical games that offer in-game purchases

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 30, 2018.

Front-page
    in-game-purchase-black-EN.

The European rating's board, PEGI, has announced that they'll be adding a new label warning for physical games that have in-game purchases. Any video game that offers microtransactions, lootboxes, or downloadable content will now have a small logo on the back of its box denoting such. PEGI already uses a similar method for digital-only games, but this will be a first for them to have on physical retail releases. This change was prompted by the recent removal of paid lootboxes in some European territories, as well as a new consumer survey that was done, describing that 40% of children play video games and spend real-life money on in-game content.

This new warning label will appear on physical copies of games starting later this year.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (50 replies)
  1. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    I feel like I already said this, but I can't wait for 99% of physical games to have this sticker on it

2. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Excellent. I personally would like something that distinguishes between loot boxes, dlc, and micro-transactions, but that's just me.

Transparency is needed in video game promotion and development, not shady shin stuff. A step in the right direction.

Red771, CeeDee, Noctosphere and 8 others like this.
  3. AmandaRose

AmandaRose The Fallen Angel

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Not before time.

4. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Nice

5. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Do mind that this is only for Europe and not for releases outside of Europe

Metoroid0 likes this.
  6. Jacklack3

Jacklack3 ( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    In your basement Dick Size: 5 meters.
    "This would soon be to known, as the most used icon in gaming history." -Future History Books

7. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    What if they get added after launch? If the icon is not there, are they not allowed to add in game purchases?

cearp likes this.
  8. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    Simple! Recall every version sold and re-issue new ones. :D

Stephano likes this.
  9. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Hm.
    I'll be difficult to track down games that don't have this.

10. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron
    gudenau is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    That's great! Maybe less games will do this.

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    As with others I don't know that "downloadable content" necessarily warrants being lumped in with the other stuff (which I would count as the same really, no great benefit from distinguishing the two).

Is it that common for such a thing to happen?

Anyway I imagine it will be something like new prints/pressings/runs will need to include it. Any countries that mandate the PEGI thing being there will probably also want shops selling copies (or possibly just new copies or copies if they are a big retailer) to put a sticker on the box to note it as well, not sure which party will bear the expense for that one. If they design it right then they can probably make one which goes over the existing one. You get similar setups when there are product advisories that go out.

I wonder then if such a thing will be used to tell what version of a game you have in the future.

KingVamp likes this.
  12. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    In terms of microtransactions, no, those almost never get added later. DLC counts as the same though, and that might be more common. Most games are made with dlc plans in mind from the get go nowadays though, so they'll probably just end up slapping this icon on everything.

13. smileyhead

smileyhead 56709

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    Same.
    Especially since DLC isn't technically an in-game purchase. It's usually a purchase you make on the corresponding online marketplace.

osaka35 and Stephano like this.
  14. Uiaad

Uiaad GBATemp's resident guinea pig

Dec 23, 2008
    United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
    The problem I have, is who actually looks at these labels, I know I don't and I certainly know that most parents don't. Hell, you can verbally describe that GTA 5 isn't for little johnny and they don't really care until the next day when they come storming in saying how inappropriate the game is and how dare you sell it to them.

At the end of the day this is not what is needed. Yes it is a first step but microtransactions and loot boxes need regulation not a sticker on a box that no one looks at.

15. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    I can't find that quote. Can you link the context? eg who said it, and what icon they were talking about.

16. Kallus

Kallus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    United States
    Did that really just go over your head there?

17. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    yes

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  18. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I hope the stickers are on the plastic covering the boxes and not on the boxes themselves, if they go this route.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  19. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Again for American buyers. This is for the European market and not the American market but everyone here is treating it like it will be also on American boxes. It won't wich is a good thing since it doesn't look all that pretty

OkazakiTheOtaku likes this.