PeerGaurdian 2 or PeerGaurdian LITE???

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by WeaponXxX, Sep 13, 2007.

Sep 13, 2007
  1. WeaponXxX
    OP

Member WeaponXxX Too F'in Blonde

United States
    Never used either but I have been advised by a friend to install it....which one is the better of the two?

2. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Get a decent firewall, stop downloading from public trackers and forget about this crap.

PG supposedly blocks traffic to any known IP adress (RIAA, MPAA, companies that pursue copyright violations, etc.) - but for this PG has to know these IPs. These people are not dumb, they know about this issue, so they'll never use a "burnt" IP again. Next point is, once they got your IP from a tracker... well, they actually have your IP. It doesn't matter if you'll never connect to them, they have your IP, that's all they're interested in to file a complaint at your ISP.

PG does *nothing*. It's just a placebo to make you feel safe. Again: not downloading from public trackers (Pirate Bay, Demonoid, etc.) is the best thing you can do to be safe.

3. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    Um...I don't go anywhere bad....I'm trying to stop my software contacting the companies that made em.

4. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    A firewall would be a better option for you then. Usually (on decently configurable firewalls anyway) it'll pop up an alert telling you the software is trying to access the net, simply tell the firewall it's not allowed and you don't have to worry about it again!

5. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Yepp, you should even more get a decent personal firewall, then. When I still used Windows I used to use Kerio Personal Firewall, I liked how it told me about every single step it took. No idea if its quality changed in the last year, though. If the level of information Kerio gives you is to much I'd recommend Zone Alarm.

6. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    I used to use a copy of Norton Internet Security that worked pretty well....Since I still use their antivirus software can I just buy a legit copy of that?

If I recall it used to ask me everytime something tried to connect to the internet

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Personally I find norton to be one of the biggest resource hogs there is (not tried this years recompile though).

As for free firewalls zonealarm and comodo are my choices.

Edit if you have a hell of a lot of time you may be able to use your router as a outbound firewall (not so good for moveable laptops though)

8. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    Zone alarm says it cost money? Money is not a problem...am I at the wrong place? I don't like installing a shit load of software on my PCs so thats why I am looking into a antivirus/firewall app. One of the biggest peices of software we use recently .... stopped working...and I don't want this to happen again so I am just looking into all the best options. Since I only use 9 apps...would Windows built in firewall work if I manually stop the sites from accessing the net?

Also I use Norton 2005 for my virus software mainly cause I have a legit copy and its easy to use. Shit phone BRB

9. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
  10. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I'm using PG2 (peer guardian2) and Sygate personal firewall (free if not used in pro mode).

Other than stopping 'bittorent trackers' (WeaponXxX never said that), it is also blocking any lan acces intrusion (as the firewall doesn't) or any other IP blocking you may want.
    There are ip list on bluetack.co.uk

As for blocking access to an editor software, the firewall is not easy to configure if, for example, it is for Msn [​IMG]
    blocking his access to the net will stop the every day's program purpose.
    (msn is just an example)

Edit :
    Four your question, I think the Lite is based on the PG2 source code, but with less visual.
    I like visuals and manual configurations, so my choice goes to PG2.
    I don't remember what the Lite looks like, sorry.