Peculiar problem with GBAExploader

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Skarr, Jul 31, 2010.

Jul 31, 2010
  1. Skarr
    OP

Newcomer Skarr Member

United States
    Me and my EZ Flash 3in1 plus have had problems ever since I bought it, but I just can't seem to fix the one I'll describe in this topic. It seems to be quite peculiar because I searched a lot and couldn't find anybody with a similar problem, neither on this or other forums.

I'll try to be as organized as possible, so I'll number things

(My slot 1 flash card that I use with the expansion is a SuperCard DS One, and my EZFlash 3in1 is the "plus" version)

1- I bought my EZ Flash 3in1 plus expansion and it came with a dead battery. What's quite puzzling about it is that, for the few minutes I was testing the card and experimenting with different roms, it did save. Then it suddenly stopped. I was using the latest version of GBAExploader (0.58b).

2- While testing, I did test all the modes GBAExploader has. PSRAM mode, NOR mode, and expansion mode. Everything worked just nice, including the rumble, the memory expansion (I know the memory expansion worked because a homebrew, SnemulDS apparently detects it, and the rumble, because EBA detected it) as well as just normally playing games normally in both PSRAM and NOR mode.

3- During my tests, I loaded the game "Final Fantasy I & II - Dawn of Souls" to the NOR. I don't remember if I did load other games (I probably did but it doesn't matter) but the last one was for sure "Final Fantasy I & II - Dawn of Souls". Since nothing would save, I just didn't play any GBA games (for some months I guess) while I looked for a solution

4- I found the solution: changing the battery. I followed a tutorial here, on GBAtemp, on how to do it and, YAY, it worked. Now I can save my games.

5- OK. I can save my games again and they are perfectly playable. I spent a lot of time playing GBA games. But now, there is a new problem. While using GBAExploader 0.58b, PSRAM mode works perfectly. As you might know, there are some options shown in the bottom of the screen ("(A): Run", "(B): Write Sram to SAV file", "(X): Backup whole SRAM to SRAM.BIN", "(Y): Restore SRAM.BIN to SRAM" and "Â: Change mode") and they all work. However, when I press R and change the mode to NOR mode, strange things happen:

-The box named "Current SRAM save Save" says "", as if there was no game. However, as I said, I have FFI&II - Dawn of Souls flashed on it (it was the last game I flashed before I changed the battery and it's still there)
    -If I press A ("Copy Game") the homebrew freezes.
    -If I press B ("Write SRAM to SAV file"), the homebrew freezes.
    -If I press X ("Run game in NOR"), a message box appears saying "Backup all data in SRAM to file SRAM.BIN" and gives me two options: "(A): Run" and "(B): Cancel". The first one freezes the homebrew for some seconds and then goes back to the NOR mode game list as if nothing has happened. The second option does nothing.
    -If I press Y ("Load SAV file to SRAM"), a message box appears saying "Restore all data in SRAM from file SRAM.BIN" and gives me two options: "(A): Run" and "(B): Cancel". The first one freezes the homebrew and makes the game list and the text boxes go white and the homebrew freezes. The second option does nothing.
    -If I press R ("Change mode" to the expansion menu, where I can change rumble and memory expansion settings) nothing happens.
    -If I press L ("Change mode" back to PSRAM mode, which works perfectly as I have said) the game list and text boxes go white and the homebrew freezes.

6- None of these happened before I changed the battery

7- Even stranger, If I go to the DS menu with the EZ flash expansion on, the "Start GBA game" option is available and when I click on it, FFI&II starts like a normal GBA card. It's still in the NOR, even though GBAExploader doesn't recognize it.

8- When I open the SneMulDS homebrew, a quick message saying "Slot 2 expansion detected!" appears and I can play just like I used to before buying the expansion. I don't know if it runs faster by detecting the expansion, but it does detect it.

9- Elite Beat Agents, a game that used to detect the expansion and use the rumble just fine before canging the battery now doesn't.

10 - I used Hyperlisk's NOR eraser but, no matter how many "blocks" I try to erase, it finishes "erasing" the NOR instantly (erasing the NOR should take some minutes at least) but Final Fantasy is still there. Later, I learned that it's not compatible with my version of the EZFlash 3in1. It was a waste of time but I thought it would be important to mention this.

11 - A guy from a forum suggested trying different versions of GBAExploader, both older and newer ones. I have tried:

-0.57, but it doesn't detect the slot2 expansion. Later I learned that older versions before 0.58b are not compatible with the plus version so I gave up downloading older versions
    -0.58b0 and 0.58b0MX, but they are exatcly the same as 0.58b
    -MSHL2, but it's a strange version and apparently has something to do with Moonshell. It didn't work because it didn't detect a file but I didn't bother with it

And that's my story guys. This post was longer than I thought it would be. Well, I tried to be as detailed as possible. Hope you guys are not afraid of reading [​IMG]

Anyway, what the hell has happened? I change the battery and suddenly a homebrew that worked fine with a broken one doesn't anymore?

Help please, and thanks beforehand.

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    You can try and dldi patch the program. you will need to get the dldi for the supercard.

You should be using the 0.58b0 version to avoid the NOR reset bug.

3in1+ users will not have to replace the battery for a year or 2 since it is only been out for only a little over a year.

3. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Then there must be some sort of problem, because I can backup DS stuff fine with NDS Backup Tool, but GBA save files just magically dissapear every once in a while.
    Example, I was playing Yoshi's Island, then the save file just dissapeared without warning.
    Same for FFI&II: Dawn of Souls. It saves fine for a while, then for some reason it gets deleted.

4. Skarr
    OP

Newcomer Skarr Member

United States
    What do you mean? That I shouldn't have replaced the battery? Mine was deffective, I just had to.

5. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Under EOS V1.0 SP3_0618 (eng)?2010-06-18), GBA ExpLoader 0.58b0 works correctly.

The NOR reset bug has been around since 0.58b was released. That was back in DEC 2008, when the 3in1+ came out. 0.58b didn't come out until mid JAN 2009. We all knew about it in a few days.

Hyperlisk's NOR Eraser doesn't work on the 3in1+, you getting it to work means you don't even know what 3in1 you got.

If your 3in1 board is NOT blue, you DON'T have a 3in1+. Guide is in my sig for determining what you got. If your 3in1 battery was defective GBA ExpLoader would have told you to initialize the 3in1 every time you started it. Replacing the battery was probably a stupid move on your part there, you could have ran the SRAM test to determine if it was in need of replacement.

Run the SRAM test, files and results comparisons are in the sig as well. This would have told you if the battery was dying or not.

Since you ALREADY replaced the battery, the only thing I can say about your save failing to show up is that your metal tabs were not touching the battery if you used the tape method. If you soldered the battery, that means your shorting a connection with solder or you had a defective board. In which, you could have had the vendor replace the 3in1 for you.

6. Skarr
    OP

Newcomer Skarr Member

United States
    My save is not failing. I can play and save games perfectly on SRAM mode. My problem is the the homebrew freezing on NOR mode

7. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    It is called PSRAM not SRAM mode, SRAM is where your save data stays.

Yoshi's Island uses EEPROM save type, you have to SRAM patch the game before you can use it.

You either got a fake DSONE or a defective 3in1 you can no longer return. Your going to need another flashcart OTHER THAN the DSONE you got to determine if the 3in1 is defective or not.

The other possiblity is you got a DSONEi and you loaded the DSONE firmware or you got the chinese version of the DSONE and using the english firmware, both of which exhibits the freezing described.

Which one do you have, the left or right one?
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Or do you have the yellow leaves instead of the grey ones.

8. Skarr
    OP

Newcomer Skarr Member

United States
    The right one. I bought it from Dealextreme back in 2008 and it's always been a good card so I really doubt it's fake.

9. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Then get a new 3in1, your just making it more difficult for yourself.