PCSX2 PlayStation 2 emulator releases its first public Qt build; improves UI, adds per-game configs

ps2.png

PCSX2 has been receiving new features and improvements consistently these last few months, and the trend continues with the latest build of the PS2 emulator. As of the v1.7 development build, PCSX2 now uses Qt framework instead of the older Wx. Plenty of new changes and upgrades are available, including a new gamepad mapping tool, a more modernized UI, per-game options, and more, as well as an auto-updater. For now, Wx builds will also continue to release, until all of the older features are available in the Qt version.

The nightly builds that feature the new content can be gotten from the official PCSX2 site, They're also available on GitHub, where the PCSX2 team has also introduced a sponsor page, where users can help fund the emulator project.

What we're doing at the project:

We are currently bringing PCSX2 kicking and screaming in to the 2020's with a new Qt interface with game lists, per game settings and loads of other great stuff! We are never done though, emulation has improvements to be made, however things are getting harder requiring better and better tech and more PS2 tests to work out bizarre behaviours!

What are the funds going to be used for?

• By funding the project you will be mainly helping pay our server costs, since advertisement on the website is not really feasible any more due to the fact it's difficult to fit ads in without destroying our great website look, and we don't want to do that.
  • Additionally new versions will have an auto updater, and so less people will have reason to visit our website.
These two things mean that we need alternative funding methods to help fund everything. Any additional money will be split between the developers for their hard work and go towards helping them financially or funding game purchases for debugging.

:arrow: Source

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed the emu the other day and was surprised that they never had this config feature already.

I thought years ago when I last tried it.

Let's hope they make custom texture loading more user friendly.

Still don't understand where to put them and how to use them.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
YES!
I swear it always annoyed me how all these years, I couldn't just configure each game separately, having to check the internet every now and then for specific setup for any other game I wanted to continue.
Guess I'll start configuring my entire library!

Reactions: T00nist8

B.B.Link

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude. Malice is now playable. Also I can now separate all my widescreen hacks apart from the games I don't use it on.

They on the good shit today.

Zeze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
YES macOS builds, gonna test it out on my M1 Mac Mini

update:// MGS3 at 2K runs at 60fps, playing at 4K has choppy audio during codec calls.
For ARM Mac's you may be better off using the AetherSX2 desktop beta's.

https://www.aethersx2.com/archive/?dir=desktop

Last build is 20 days old, so its not quite as updated as the recent PCSX2 build, but it uses the QT interface also and should be faster on ARM.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem i have is that I have just cashed out buying hdmi adapters and upscallers because my new Sony Google TV only has hdmi.

My retro consoles (minus n64, but guess that's down to the hdmi convertor) look amazing.

Then I tried pcsx2 again on my laptop and wow compatibility and performance has really improved since I last tried it few years ago.

Problem I find is my Sony Google TV in my gaming room wont let me cast my laptop to use the TV as an extended screen, yet my LG TV in my living room does.

I was wanting to see how good ps2 looks when casting in 5k because I am pretty sure tho my laptop is a gaming laptop, I bet the monitor is only 1080, so even tho I am emulating at resolutions higher than this, it makes no difference.

Id also like to understand where you place HD textures, i plan on trying to replace The Getaway textures with high resolution textures.

But I have no idea where they go.

And is this new update the nightly release only, looks to me by the change log that 1.60 is the same version I currently have.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.