PCSX2 PlayStation 2 emulator adds Vulkan renderer in latest build

PCSX2_1.6.0_Windows_10.png

After months of demand, PCSX2 has gotten itself a Vulkan renderer. The PlayStation 2 emulator primarily used OpenGL in the past, but the addition of this new renderer allows for a performance boost in some notoriously difficult-to-emulate games. It's currently available through the latest dev build--v1.7.2212--of the emulator, available to download here. This feature comes courtesy of Stenzek, known for their own emulator, Duckstation.

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is great news for people with an xbox series S|X. the ps2 emulation wasn't great at all due to having to use angular for to add compatibility for the opengl backend from what i understand. once ported there could be a significant boost to PS2 emulation on SS/SX consoles.

Reactions: PvD79

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 game ports were poor compared to Xbox, but playing it enhanced on PC, PS3, PS4, and someday on PS5 surely makes it hella nice.

I used to avoid PS2 ports, now it's what I want. 😋

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
PS2 game ports were poor compared to Xbox, but playing it enhanced on PC, PS3, PS4, and someday on PS5 surely makes it hella nice.

I used to avoid PS2 ports, now it's what I want. 😋
Still I wish that someday we have a xbox emulator with this level of polish. Third party games are almost always better on xbox.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Decent improvements on my setup. I can now get a locked 60 at 4k on Gran tursimo 4 which was a system killer beforehand. Also, I now get a lock in shadow of the colossus and also the original jak and daxter. Nice speed improvements.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am now able to do one Surfboard level in Klonoa 2 without lag. Before I had to turn down the graphical settings for the level because it would lag. Now it doesn't have any stuttering on max settings.

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I tested it and it works fantastic on speed side but I saw some graphics glitches on time splitter 2, this is normal because its new though.

Great job PCSX2 team and the other guy!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: