PC's Vs. Consoles Vs. Portables

Which do you find yourself playing most often?

• PC Games!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Console Games!

• Portable Games!

• Total voters

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm posting this question because I wanted to see if there were more people like me.

In the past 5-6 years, my gaming habits have changed. I used to play console games and PC games much more often than portable games. Once I got out of college, got married, and started working full time, I saw that my console gaming time drop. My PC gaming time dropped as well once I stopped playing MMO's and computer strategy games.

My gaming time on portables increased significantly, however, when I purchased a DS Lite.

I own a PS3, Wii, DS Lite and PSP. I've played a few games for the PS3, but it gets used (daily) to watch videos. I haven't played a Wii game for longer than a day since... SMG? I play my DS and PSP almost every day. The DS gets most of my overall playtime due to the number of games released for it. The PSP goes unused for months on end until a good game comes out, and then I find myself playing that game exclusively for awhile.

I like portable gaming so much that I find it HARD to get motivated enough to play a console game. The thought of being chained to a TV is not appealing at all. It takes a killer game like MGS4 or Fallout 3 to get me to play. With portables, I'm finding I can get my gaming fix in bed, on the couch, or on the toilet at work.

It also doesn't help that many portable RPGs are just as entertaining as their console brethren. Some, like Disgaea, WERE from consoles.

Does anyone else feel this way?

airpirate545

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used to feel this way when I just had a Wii and a DS, Then I bought a PS2 and it has so many addicting games that I can't even compare portable games to console games. Now I just use my DS when I want short gaming bursts..

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I used to play handhelds a hell of a lot. Then I moved to consoles, played them a lot. Then, finally realised PC as king of gaming. Too bad a lot of games only come out on console
frown.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
At the moment portable because I mainly play at night; other occupants of the house get a bit cranky with the sound on, and running headphone cables from the TV doesn't quite work for me. PC games died years ago for me, I'm one of those people who won't replace hardware unless it's broken or if I have a really good reason, but the technology just moves too fast.

Louisiana

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only thing handhelds have going for them is portability.

I like consoles because I can play them on a large screen.

where's the option for arcade gaming?

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Louisiana said:
where's the option for arcade gaming?
Its back there in the 80's closet.

I like portables, however I don't use them much. Maybe on road trips and vacations I use them but thats about it. Then console I play whenever I feel, but I'm usually on a computer playing games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I have a great deal of time to do what I like in I still take my gaming where I can get it.

Time wise though it has to be portables, I play my DS while I am watching videos, waiting for downloads, listening to things, in transit (assuming I feel comfortable bringing it) and whatever else I have a somewhat passive activity. Annoyingly it has reached the stage where I almost have to multitask or face boredom while doing things.

I will however point out that most people I know including myself have a PC like device (internet, video and whatnot) rigged up to TV or a console rigged up to the monitor of the PC (which has a console control pad of some form) which changes things a lot. Better yet most usually have secondary monitor upon which to do things. A comfortable seating arrangement in all cases goes without saying.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
PC games are the way to go, portable and not. You can see some major console games appear on the computer and you will always see amazing multiplayer games on the computer, the hardware is always up to date, and portability is possible, especially with those new netbooks.
smile.gif
Although I have to say I prefer portable gaming over consoles.

I would disagree with you on the netbook front. I have one of the current gen, and while I love it for web browsing, reading PDFs, running Apple OSX (LOL!), and watching XviDs or Hulu, I wouldn't see it as a gaming platform. It's underpowered, even overclocked at 24%. In 2-3 gens down the road, definitely. Look out full-featured laptops. Your end is near!

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I play mostly on my DS because as it's been pointed out by the author of this topic, it's convenient to play it in bed, on the couch, or on the toilet
smile.gif
It's tough to be chained at a computer desk or on a TV these days because I'm working a lot with ridiculous hours.
Also I'd like to play PC games, but as Psyfira pointed out, my PC is just fine to run emulators and everyday's task as internet surfing, downloading and burning stuff, but it's a little beyound when it comes to the latest generation of PC games, and I've decided not to upgrade it for the moment, so unless it's a 3-4 years old PC game that I missed when it first came out I'm out of luck.
I should dedicate more time to my Wii, there are still excellent games that I didn't finish and more good titles are on their way, but still I'm too lazy and I prefer to play my DS in bed.
I also play a lot of vertical shooters and fighting games on PC emulators of various systems when I can, and some Guitar Hero or Rock band here and there, but still, when I'm really tired I can only manage to play my DS......

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When im home from college, i find that there are lots of times where ill camp out in my room with my DS. i play for hours. But while at college i dont have a tone of time to play and when i do its with other people on a 360 or Wii. I would say i still love the DS the most. i can never get into console games as well as a good DS one.

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically it would be PC/Console, but since emulators are on the PC, that's what I voted for.

Yeah, I fire up emulators(MAME and SNES) mainly a couple times a week, not to mention Stepmania and newly acquired Audiosurf. Plus stuff like Bejeweled, Luxor, and other casual games from time to time....

B

ball2012003

go with portable games
there's gonna be a couple of good one coming up for psp and ds

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't say that i play one over the other, or which i prefer.

No internet means no GOOD pc gaming. I really like online play of PC games. Namely for FPSes. Love those on PC, but mainly for online play (Unreal Tourney, Quake 2 and TFclassic were three i was HARDcore addicted to... and Quake Live will be that way as well heh).

Consoles are amazing for when you have a group of people together. The number of party games we play is stunning. Both Wii and Xbox are great for that.

As for portables, myself and Wife® both have a DS w/ flash carts... as do like 8 of our friends (including the 3 we are moving in with... w00t!), and i have a PSP which i got for xmax, so i still play portables VERY regularly too. Hell, if myself or Wife® is playing a single player game on the TV, the other usually has a portable system out to get some gaming in.

So, they're all very viable.

I mean, if i HAVE to choose... shit, i have no idea. Prolly PC, but thats because i've been w/out it for so long
tongue.gif

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I voted portables, but in practice it's the PC but that's due to the fact my best friend from work has a 2 and 3 year old and can't go out so we screw around with Silkroad Online at night for a couple hours.

In reality I commit true game time, not the Silkroad social and kill a few things hour, to my PSP and my DS (PSP much more since I got one mid last year as I've been doing catch-up.) It all goes back to being Nintendo's fault primarily because the N64 was so good, but it got a good game every 2 months and I didn't have or want a PSX due to Sony's smear campaigning and flaky hardware. As a result I ended up with a crap ton of GBC games I paid for, and then so on through GBA variants and the DS up to now (DSL and PSP.) I find that I'm more comfy sitting here, on the couch, wherever where I can enjoy the moment up close and personal and have that flexibility to stop and go as I please. Console games I love, but they've gotten so fucking convoluted these last 2 generations you need some hardcore time commitments and I just don't feel up to it except in spurts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)