Hacking PC to microDS transfer problems

elSprogo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all!

Recently bought a DS with R4, and a Kingston 2Gb microSD card to go with it. (Me ->
yaynds.gif
)

However, I soon stumbled upon a weird problem - i'm using the card on my laptop (HP Compaq NC6000) with a built in SD-reader, and it won't let me transfer more than ~900mb to it.
frown.gif
Anything beyond that and it just pops out a message saying that the "disk is write-protected. please enter another disk...bla bla". The card is running FAT file system. OS is Win XP with a NTFS file system.

Has anyone else stumbled upon anything like this? Help would be much appreciated.
shy.gif

elSprogo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
darn, the guy I bought it from (yeah, i got it used) kept the reader for himself
frown.gif
probably gonna ask him to hand it over then. but still - why is the error popping up?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats because you're stuffing a lot of files in one folder. Make a new folder and you can put more files
smile.gif

Or at least, thats what happened to me.

elSprogo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Why'd you get it used? You could of gotten it for ~32$ shipped from DX... I might buy a G6DS Real from there
tongue.gif

it's just that I bought the whole package "in used condition" from a friend of mine. didn't want to bother with all the shippings and stuff, he was desperate for money, so I bought it off of him. yeah, I know, not exactly "fanboy-ish", but when you can get it all for half the retail price - why not?
smile.gif

gonna try the folders thingy when I get back from work. hope it works. fingers crossed
happy.gif

pootman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In winXP, right-click the drive's icon in My Computer, and select properties, what does it say for capacity? If it says ~900MB try reformatting with FAT32.

ps Is he a good mate, or is he someone you know who would sell you a duff card as good because he can't be buggered to return it?

elSprogo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought the card brand-new. I guess i'll just have to give the retailer a call.

It shows that total capacity is 1.87Gb, right now it's at 924mb on it. I can add some 17mb more, but then it's Game Over.

I'll try to put it into my brother's mobile, and transfer something through USB. See if anything changes. If not - definitely the card's a dud. Too bad, cuz I had high hopes for Kingston cards
frown.gif

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
I bought the card brand-new. I guess i'll just have to give the retailer a call.

It shows that total capacity is 1.87Gb, right now it's at 924mb on it. I can add some 17mb more, but then it's Game Over.

I'll try to put it into my brother's mobile, and transfer something through USB. See if anything changes. If not - definitely the card's a dud. Too bad, cuz I had high hopes for Kingston cards
frown.gif

Well Kingtons are the best cards, you just get a faulty -or a fake- one.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you format it to FAT (not FAT32) then there is a limit to the size and number of files you can have in one folder. Try putting half the games in one folder and half in another...

- Sam

pootman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think lagman's right, it's faulty or fake. A 1GB card shows about 970MB in windows, sounds like to much of a coincidence that that's just over your card's limit.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think lagman's right, it's faulty or fake. A 1GB card shows about 970MB in windows, sounds like to much of a coincidence that that's just over your card's limit.
True, but it doesn't say that it card is locked
wacko.gif
I don't understand this at all.

But from my experience Kingston cards are indeed the best ones! Better than Sandisk or Transcend.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gonna love it when the next update blocks them