PC to microDS transfer problems

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by elSprogo, Aug 13, 2007.

1. elSprogo
    OP

elSprogo Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2007
    Hi all!

Recently bought a DS with R4, and a Kingston 2Gb microSD card to go with it. (Me -> [​IMG] )

However, I soon stumbled upon a weird problem - i'm using the card on my laptop (HP Compaq NC6000) with a built in SD-reader, and it won't let me transfer more than ~900mb to it. [​IMG] Anything beyond that and it just pops out a message saying that the "disk is write-protected. please enter another disk...bla bla". The card is running FAT file system. OS is Win XP with a NTFS file system.

Has anyone else stumbled upon anything like this? Help would be much appreciated. [​IMG]

2. retman

retman Banned

Banned
    Jun 3, 2007
    use the reader/writer you got with your R4

3. elSprogo
    OP

elSprogo Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2007
    darn, the guy I bought it from (yeah, i got it used) kept the reader for himself [​IMG] probably gonna ask him to hand it over then. but still - why is the error popping up?

4. ZeWarrior

ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil
    Why'd you get it used? You could of gotten it for ~32$ shipped from DX... I might buy a G6DS Real from there [​IMG]

5. Linkiboy

Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

May 14, 2006
    United States
    Thats because you're stuffing a lot of files in one folder. Make a new folder and you can put more files [​IMG]

Or at least, thats what happened to me.

6. elSprogo
    OP

elSprogo Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2007
    it's just that I bought the whole package "in used condition" from a friend of mine. didn't want to bother with all the shippings and stuff, he was desperate for money, so I bought it off of him. yeah, I know, not exactly "fanboy-ish", but when you can get it all for half the retail price - why not? [​IMG]

gonna try the folders thingy when I get back from work. hope it works. fingers crossed [​IMG]

7. elSprogo
    OP

elSprogo Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2007
    Just checked - the size of the folder's isn't it [​IMG]

8. pootman

pootman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2007
    In winXP, right-click the drive's icon in My Computer, and select properties, what does it say for capacity? If it says ~900MB try reformatting with FAT32.

ps Is he a good mate, or is he someone you know who would sell you a duff card as good because he can't be buggered to return it?

9. PikaPika

PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 25, 2006
    United States
    AZ
    Is the read-only switch on the SD adapter flipped [​IMG]?

10. lagman

lagman I wish I was green.

Former Staff
    Nov 5, 2003
    Mexico
    Me, To You
    Sounds like a faulty microsd card to me, can you try with another one?

11. elSprogo
    OP

elSprogo Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2007
    I bought the card brand-new. I guess i'll just have to give the retailer a call.

It shows that total capacity is 1.87Gb, right now it's at 924mb on it. I can add some 17mb more, but then it's Game Over.

I'll try to put it into my brother's mobile, and transfer something through USB. See if anything changes. If not - definitely the card's a dud. Too bad, cuz I had high hopes for Kingston cards [​IMG]

12. lagman

lagman I wish I was green.

Former Staff
    Nov 5, 2003
    Mexico
    Me, To You
    Well Kingtons are the best cards, you just get a faulty -or a fake- one.

13. Sinkhead

Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

Former Staff
    Nov 22, 2006
    Across the pond
    If you format it to FAT (not FAT32) then there is a limit to the size and number of files you can have in one folder. Try putting half the games in one folder and half in another...

- Sam

14. pootman

pootman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2007
    I think lagman's right, it's faulty or fake. A 1GB card shows about 970MB in windows, sounds like to much of a coincidence that that's just over your card's limit.

15. Maikel Steneker

Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    True, but it doesn't say that it card is locked [​IMG] I don't understand this at all.

But from my experience Kingston cards are indeed the best ones! Better than Sandisk or Transcend.