Overman1977

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Today while screwing around on my HP desktop, it froze. I turned it off and back on and it starts up but shows nothing...nothing on the screen, and does not sound like it's booting up. The keyboard lights flash, the fans and the HD (I think) start up, but nothing appears on the screen. The monitor is working, the rams sticks are seated properly, removed the CMOS bat., and even removed the lithium BIOS bat. to no avail.

I removed and replaced the graphics card and all other pci cards.... nothing. Even checked it with another monitor.

I do not think it's the power supply, as the keyboard lights flash and the cd rom lights are a go. I'm thinking it might that the mobo has grounded to the case (probably not) or that I fried something on the mobo itself.

I'd like to check out all my options before I send it in to probably replace the mobo. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Cool when uncool

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Same thing happens to my old computer,
and by starting up does it show the windows loading thing at the start?

does it say like
"there was a crash blah blah blah press F5 to continue F2 for safe mode"

if that shows then get an IT guy to re-swipe the whole computer for you because it can be a virus

Overman1977

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
just checking my e-mail when this happened.....and when i turn it on it shows NOTHING on the screen, yet the monitor works. switched it with another monitor and the same thing occurs....swtiched out the graphics are and guess what...same thing.
cry.gif

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Well it needs to be torn down to bare basics then mobo 1 stick ram and graphics everything else removed if it doesnt work then try the other stick of ram if nothing then try the other graphics card and if still nothing then its the mobo
Is the cpu fan working?

Overman1977

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
cobleman said:
Well it needs to be torn down to bare basics then mobo 1 stick ram and graphics everything else removed if it doesnt work then try the other stick of ram if nothing then try the other graphics card and if still nothing then its the mobo

I will try that...tyvm. In the meanwhile, I will still be happy to take further suggestions.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Try running the system from the dvd drive, with the original OS installation CD that will try to repair the installation.
Or if you have access to another PC, try to download an Ubuntu self-boot installation CD and from there see if it is a windows register error or an hardware fail ( the latter case will be worse, as not even the cd will be able to boot the PC).
Press F12 when you power on the PC and choose to start the computer from the cd rom drive.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Overman1977 said:
I do not think it's the power supply, as the keyboard lights flash and the cd rom lights are a go. I'm thinking it might that the mobo has grounded to the case (probably not) or that I fried something on the mobo itself.

I'd take the motherboard out of the case and test it without it. It may not be grounded, but at least you'd be eliminating that possibility by doing it. Then just test with the very basics, while the motherboard is placed on a large anti-static bag in the open.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    He is now fishy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sak is a fishy pineapple
    Have a good night everyone.
    i'm getting sleepy.
    So much drinking from @K3Nv2
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    Veho @ Veho: California has already banned those additives BTW.