1. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Fixed that for ya

Scarlet likes this.
  2. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Lol please include this in the review. I love the idea of dunking it into the dock for GPU boost or vr.

Scarlet likes this.
  3. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    yeah buying a expensive portable pc to play switch game son the go just seems stupid to me imo lol, the switch can do that and if you just care for that you can save 800$ and buy a switch then hack it and OC to get better resolutions/frame rate in portable and you just saved a huge amount of money imo.

This is for people that want more than play switch games imo, or else its just a bad choice.

Scarlet likes this.
  4. VinsCool

VinsCool Persona Secretiva Felineus

Canada
    Damn, I need this???
    That handheld destroys the specs of my current computer, lol

5. Scarlet

OP Scarlet Pretty Pretty Princess
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    I was using a Razer Blade Stealth with eGPU before so this really is just a direct upgrade for me lol. It's weird to be using what is basically a fancy game console as my main PC but hey it gets the job done. Being able to just dock it when I want to watch stuff with family etc is great too.

VinsCool likes this.
  6. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    The fact it tuns using Windows 10 means a hard pass for me.

7. Scarlet

Reporter

United Kingdom
    Linux does run fine fwiw, Windows is just my OS of choice for gaming.

Silent_Gunner and VinsCool like this.
  8. Ericzander

Ericzander GBAtemp's residential attorney
    Reviewer

Somalia
    That was the joke. But yeah, maybe I didn't make it clear enough.

But for real, this thing blows my current laptop out of the water.

RyRyIV, VinsCool and Silent_Gunner like this.
  9. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    I'd like it for you to comment on the build quality of the device. GPD's previous handheld gaming PCs have had big problems in this regard, with several posts on r/gpdwin about people's WIN 1's, WIN 2's, and WIN Max's having various things fall apart.

Another thing that could be cool, if it's practical, is, upon completion of your review, you and Prans switch (no pun intended) devices and give your opinions on the opposing devices each of you have reviewed!

10. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    Actually looks pretty decent

11. Silent_Gunner

Banned

United States
    *Steam Proton drinks Wine laced with DXVK provided by Lutris*

12. Scarlet

Reporter

United Kingdom
    While I like the idea of device swapping for a feature, I paid too much for this for it to be lost in the mail lol.

As for the build quality, it seems good from what I've seen so far. The part that'll likely fail first is the slider though, given the difficult nature of getting it right first time. Triggers and buttons feel really good, and the joy sticks are much nicer than they look.

13. Silent_Gunner

Banned

United States
    Ah, I was under the impression you both got review units! Which I'm not sure you two could swap to begin with, but it was an idea that hit me because while I love the idea of these devices, I'm not so in love with build quality problems on a device that costs about 2/3 of my biweekly paycheck, and like to have a variety of opinions when a purchase starts to become an investment for what is already a experimental device, whereas a laptop and its design is one that's been iterated on for a long enough period of time that problems aren't as much of a concern, tho unfortunately, errors still slip thru the cracks today.

Scarlet likes this.
  14. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    I use Windows 7 pro for that and if a game needs Win 10... then I don't play it.

15. Silent_Gunner

Banned

United States
    Which how many of them do, really? Couldn't one play Halo MMC and Killer Instinct 3 on Win7 since they're on Steam nowadays?

16. meow81

meow81 Newbie
    Newcomer

Italy
    How much it cost ?

Last edited by meow81, May 15, 2021
  17. Scarlet

Reporter

United Kingdom
    I paid around £700 for it, though I think it's a little more now the original Indiegogo campaign is over.

18. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Not worth $1300 sorry. So many switch clones I'm not taking the credit away but once again if I have $1300 I can invest $1000 in an entry level gaming PC with more power and also have $300 for a switch

Redhorse likes this.
  19. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

New Zealand
    I can play minecraft on my original GPD win with optifine... It scrapes by, struggles to get more than 30fps at higher draw distances though.
    This one should have no problem playing minecraft

20. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Gambia, The
    I'll be honest. I see absolutely no reason to exist for such a device. x86 devices are very power hungry per design. Rip battery life.

I find it difficult to justify such a system for emulation if you have many more, much cheaper option available (portable consoles, smartphones).

So the only reason IMO left is to play PC games with it. While pc has a vast library of games to choose from have fun in getting them running. Intel iGPUs are not only weak, they have also very shit drivers. I bet you'll have problems getting older games even to start because of Intel shitty implementation of instructions. The reviewer mentions opengl problems. How about Vulkan or backwards compatible dx9 instructions (pixel/vertex shader). Are they working properly? I bet not. This will lead at least to graphical glitches and app crashes. Since pc hardware is so fast outdated the next AAA titles will be barely playable on this device.

So ok. I'll try again. It is possible to use eGPU with it to countermeasure the lack of upgradeable hardware.
    Don't ever go the eGPU route. It just works so shit.
    I got a eGPU setup myself because of how FUN and EASY this technology is.
    No it is not. You have software problems everywhere. Starting from your BIOS/UEFI bugs (S3/Shutdown problems), driver issues (BSODs with Intel/Nvidia/AMD interfering), up to software issues (Unreal Engine stuttering with eGPU when iGPU is enabled).
    This is not fun. I have 3 years experience with Thunderbolt3 and my next setup won't be mobile anymore. Also don't expect any fix for this. Intel, Nvidia and AMD (+Manufacturer) are pointing at each other when it comes to issues with eGPU.

Let alone performance problems:
    You have shit minFPS (down to single digits) which means your games will stutter a lot when they stream. And all openworld games today use streaming. Look at RDR2 it runs on medium settings with ~30fps on average with high end video cards on eGPU.

(Side note: TB4 does not improve anything at all compared to TB3 except MAYBE more bandwidth [involves DP bandwidth which is reserved on TB3 and TB4 could give it away]. There is ATM no TB4 eGPU dock available so no testing is done to prove this)

Nope. Sorry I don't see any use for this.

Last edited by GothicIII, May 16, 2021
    Silent_Gunner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - impressions, gaming, first