Gaming PC Games: You Buy or Pirate?

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys

I'm considering purchasing Call of Duty 4 but I'm curious what are the advantage of buying the actual game or pirating it?

What I mean by advantages I mean advantages and disadvantages for me. I don't care for the developers just my own personal advantages Very Happy

I've never really gamed before so this will be the first FPS I ever buy and the 2nd FPS I will play besides Halo for the xbox.

Certain things to consider is the online play, does playing a pirated version have problems playing online? and other stuff

okay please post in Smile

Thanks
Jimmy

alltooamorous

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Generally, the only pro to buying a PC game is for the online gameplay.

Specifically, Call of Duty 4's campaign is terribly short. It was fun, but you can honestly finish it in less than a day. If you want to play online, then purchase the game. Otherwise, there's no point.

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lol yhaa

I'm not sure I've never been a PC gamer so I'm not sure whether or not I might even play this game later.

If I like the game for sure I'll buy it. I doubt the demo available has an online mode which is the reason why I'm interested in getting the game.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I only buy the good ones?
But suggest to buy only if advantage over not buying.

For example I bought Left 4 Dead.
Now if I wanted to pirate it, I'd have to download a whole bunch of stuff on rapidshare, and again each time theres an update.

And the cracks and all that stuff.

sgand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My downloaded games tend to always stay on the same version because I'm way too lazy to keep up with downloading cracked patches. I've also never been online with any of them.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well i've never purchased a piece of software in my life, though i will when starcraft 2 comes out. games that i have that CAN go online include:
starcraft (stole the cdkey off some kid in elementary school xD)
warcraft 3 (given to me by my cousin)
Guildwars knightfall (same as above)
WoW (private server)
Halo 1 (cd key off the internet lol)

other than that, i either go to my friends house for xbox live, play my ds/psp, or play the shitload of games i have that are single player (such as Mass Effect, assassin's creed, gta iv etc)

so i really have no need to purchase any games

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm probably gonna buy the game then. I'm just worried that I may not like the game.

Thanks for posting in guys
I'm actually gonna leave now to go buy it lol

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
i've never pirated a game but i do support file sharing. there is no advantage to buying cod4 instore.
also cracked servers are your friends.

EDIT: dammit one post too late.

esoterica

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I used to buy ALL my games, until I discovered how to pirate. And since then, I haven't bought a game, unless it's an online game that requires a key. I may still buy games I really look forward to, but for the most part, it's all downloads.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I buy mutliplayer games on the PC, that's it. Unreal Tournament, Star Wars Battlefront 2, WoW, Warhammer Online, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, getting Dawn of War 2 as soon as the money comes in. If it's a game I tend on playing online I buy. Other wise I just download it.

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I almost don't play on my PC, but the little I do, it's pirated. I must have like 4 or 5 games in here, I'm just not into PC gaming.

Reaper

Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
c2ironfist said:
don't care for the developers just my own personal advantages
Wow, you're nice
mellow.gif

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reaper said:
c2ironfist said:
don't care for the developers just my own personal advantages
Wow, you're nice
mellow.gif

I didn't mean I didn't care for developers. I meant I wanted to hear opinions based on the advantages for the users. I didn't want to get comments like buy the game to support the developers.

If I like a game enough I'll actually go and purchase the original copy.

Most of the games I play are all originals. I usually try before I buy a game. Usually if I don't like a game after playing it for a bit, I wont bother to touch it ever again.

I wanted to try out the online mode first before I buy. That's the big seller for me and I guess I can't really do that without buying it first.

So pretty much I do care about the developers...as long as I like their games I'll support them.

oh yhaa btw I didn't get a chance to pick it up. Wal-Mart didn't have them in stock
frown.gif

I'm going tomorrow to best buy check to see if they have it.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I buy the pirated version
frown.gif

it's lame, yeah, why buy a free item? I can't do anything 'bout it though, my P2P connection is cut so I can't DL torrents.

It's really good, I strongly suggest you buy it. I DO want to buy the retail, but it's not available here
frown.gif

the multiplayer is kind of like the campaign in "warpig", code bog_a. intense, massive, and full of shats flying everywhere. Set the difficulty to Hardened and you've pretty much simulated the regular multiplayer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse