Artsy Dude
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
*Resolved*
(I wiped the HDD clean after recovering my files and then Reinstalled Windows 10)

Thank You @civickm

So I bought an external HDD because I didn't want to lose files in the event my PC broke down. As I plugged the HDD in (USB) it did not show up in the PC. I thought I could fix it by reformatting it in a program. I STUPIDLY accidentally wiped something important on my actual internal HDD by mistake and probably therefore deleted some startup files. Ironic. But so very frustrating.

I am thinking that if it is only the start up files and not a virus/corrupted HDD then there might be an easy way to recover the computer/startup files.

Is there any chance of this? I'm running Windows 10. And I get a blue screen and an error code. I know that I deleted a small partition that was needed for startup because the windows startup screen just continuously spins or sometimes just goes blue screen mode instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am really desperate at this point to get it sorted :(

Last edited by R4Liam,

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
If your priority is to save your files like movies, music or misc data, I suggest you make a live Linux bootable USB or media(CD, DVD etc), run it on 'live' mode, recover all your data and then proceed with whatever next you want to do.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Had everything you'd need, can even download Linux distribution. Give it a try. I used to use it to copy movies and TV shows from my brother's locked windows laptop :rofl2: Yes, this can bypass the normal windows security to the extent that you can access storage etc

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Try boot into a Linux live-cd (burn it to usb or cd; ubuntu live-cd for example), see if you can copy any files out of it?
You beat me to it :P

R4Liam

Artsy Dude
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
I've tried using a windows 10 install media on both USB and CD and neither load. I am really stuck at this point. I know that I caused the problem by formatting some important startup partition so there must be a way to fix this :/

R4Liam

Artsy Dude
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Yeah it either goes back to the blue screen error message or has an endless windows logo with spinning circle. I think I just need to get the startup files back on, I think I deleted the 'system reserve' partition. Can I do this from a linux usb or something?

The error code is: 0xc000000f

civickm

Rocky Mountain IT Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure your BIOS or EFI is setup to boot from the USB.

1. Boot computer with Windows 10/8/7 installation media and press Shift + F10; ***If you created one using Windows 10 media creation tool
2. Run the following commands at the command prompt:

• bootrec /fixmbr + Enter
If you receive the error message “Element not found”, you may need to mark the boot partition as active with diskpart firstly.

3. Enter below commands at the command prompt:

• diskpart
  • select disk 0
  • list partition
  • select partition #
Note: Select the "System Reserved" partition (if you have it) or the Windows OS partition.

• active
  • exit
4. Type: bootrec /fixboot + Enter in the command prompt;
5. Type: bootrec /rebuildbcd + Enter in the command prompt;
After these steps, you can reboot PC

If not tomorrow I can help you via skype if you have a cam that you can point to the screen.

R4Liam

Artsy Dude
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
I think I am booting it to USB correctly but I am not sure and I'm not sure which USB drive to put it into.

This is the blue screen I get:

http://imgur.com/a/f0594

And this is the boot menu I used:

http://imgur.com/a/5RfFT

I have tried all of them.

I am not able to get past the blue screen so I cannot try any of these other things you have mentioned.

A skype call would be very useful, thank you! I will be online around this time.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I am booting it to USB correctly but I am not sure and I'm not sure which USB drive to put it into.

This is the blue screen I get:

http://imgur.com/a/f0594

And this is the boot menu I used:

http://imgur.com/a/5RfFT

I have tried all of them.

I am not able to get past the blue screen so I cannot try any of these other things you have mentioned.

A skype call would be very useful, thank you! I will be online around this time.
Do you have any files you really really need to backup? It sounds like all your data is fine, it's just windows boot stuff isn't working.

Go with tat LinuxLive usb creator if you want to backup your data while you fix windows. This is just in case things go south and you can't fix your current windows setup. Hey, at least you have your data. Redundancy is good with data :P

Also, you tried the install disc, and this is probably the same thing, but it might be worth a shot at least. The official system repair disc. : http://www.backup-utility.com/articles/create-a-system-repair-disc-4348.html

Last edited by osaka35,

R4Liam

Artsy Dude
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Yeah kind of although I only recently reinstalled it because it broke down before so this is a new HDD. If I have to I will resort to installation if it will let me. I don't know how I could though if it won't do anything but blue screen :(

Is there any way I can use linux to install the files necessary to boot into windows?

Last edited by R4Liam,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: