PayPal sucks

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just need somewhere to tell people what's been going on and possibly get some REAL support.

So I have a PayPal account that has completely legit information. (SSN, Phone #, address, email, etc. Everything is legit) I get money from friends and services, like helping people unban from Wiimmfi and shit. I had $47.19 in there from doing stuff over the months. One day I login and it says "We need more information, your account is limited." They expect me to send them a motherfucking copy of my drivers licence, proof of my SSN, and a birth certificate. I'm not doing any of that bullshit. They gave me a case ID and say to to the resolution center to fix it. The case ID isn't there. I chose "All cases" and it's still not there. Onlt one dispute I had with an ebay item.

So I called their support number and got a representative after about 15 minutes. I'm like my account is limited and I don't know what to do. They're like "go to the resolution center" and I'm like "I alread checked, my case ID isn't there, what do I do?" And they're like "send us some of your information".

I don't know why I'm any different than other people. I personally know some 12 year olds that have PayPal accounts and don't put any legit information in, and they can still recieve donations and money from people, send momey, and buy stuff on ebay. How is no one elses account limited?

This situation has happened three times and the most recent one was today, and it's fucking pissing me the fuck off, it's my money and they just take it? Okay.

I need to have an account, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? All information is legit... and little kids can have PayPal without entering jack for personal information, why can't I?

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same thing happened to me when I signed up for paypal here, sent them copies of my ss card, id card, and bank statement and the restriction was removed after a day.
Its no big deal

Reactions: Xenon Hacks

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit man, that was a hangup I had with Amazon Payments. I use them as it's a prerequisite to use Amazon Mechanical Turk, and in 2012, I signed up. Everything was all fine, until later in the year, after months away from the platform, there was a verification issue. Despite giving them my SSN, and that I was over 18 even then, they required a photo id, via fax. Fucking fax, that's ancient, right? So for over a year, I never bothered, until January 2014, I needed to turk, make some money online. After phone calls to Amazon and their supposed Payments customer service, nothing came through. It took taking a picture of my State ID, and using a free online fax site to get it through. Since then, it's just been awesome as far as making money. Paypal I set up around 2014, maybe even earlier, but that was even simpler than Amazon. I didn't have to provide photo ID, the SSN was seemingly enough, oh and bank info. As I type, the account is still active, so I don't know. It's inconsistent with Amazon Payments, apparently they aren't the only ones.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I can tell, once they detect a spike in activity on your account, either from buying, selling, or just a decently large number of money transfers in general, they may request this information. They haven't requested it from me yet since I only use my PayPal account once every three or four months most of the time, but they basically want to verify the information of anybody actively using their service presumably for very legitimate reasons. I see nothing wrong with it. If you're treating PayPal as a place to manage your business, you should expect to be treated as if you were a business.

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will consider giving them my SSN and shit, but I jusy wanna know how do children get on PayPal? I know an 11 year old who just signed up with his friends email, got him to verify it, and it worked from there on. Same with a few others I know

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will consider giving them my SSN and shit, but I jusy wanna know how do children get on PayPal? I know an 11 year old who just signed up with his friends email, got him to verify it, and it worked from there on. Same with a few others I know
When your account is active its a requirement to make sure its not a fraudulent account, anyone can make a paypal and start receiving huge amounts of money so they have people verify their identities.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
When your account is active its a requirement to make sure its not a fraudulent account, anyone can make a paypal and start receiving huge amounts of money so they have people verify their identities.
That's true and false. For the most part, they're content with the "fill in the field" information that doesn't require much effort beyond punching in some letters and numbers on your keyboard. They still haven't pinged me for more information, and I've been using my account periodically for business, both private sales and through eBay, for at least six years from quite a few different IPs, several different addresses, and a change in linked bank and linked cards. I assume some kind of excess of a particular kind of transaction or perhaps just a transaction from a questionable source by PayPal standards is enough to trigger the flag for identity verification to make sure the account isn't being abused by someone it doesn't belong to.

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's true and false. For the most part, they're content with the "fill in the field" information that doesn't require much effort beyond punching in some letters and numbers on your keyboard. They still haven't pinged me for more information, and I've been using my account periodically for business, both private sales and through eBay, for at least six years from quite a few different IPs, several different addresses, and a change in linked bank and linked cards. I assume some kind of excess of a particular kind of transaction or perhaps just a transaction from a questionable source by PayPal standards is enough to trigger the flag for identity verification to make sure the account isn't being abused by someone it doesn't belong to.
Six years without them bitching about terrorist funding? How often have you logged in and done something (gave money, revieved, or bought something) ?

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Six years without them bitching about terrorist funding? How often have you logged in and done something (gave money, revieved, or bought something) ?
I only use my account a few times a year, at least that was the case prior to linking it to my PSN account. Usually I send money when I'm not logged in, receive money almost exclusively from eBay sales, and only really buy stuff via PSN through PayPal (which has gotten a bit more regular these past few months).

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only use my account a few times a year, at least that was the case prior to linking it to my PSN account. Usually I send money when I'm not logged in, receive money almost exclusively from eBay sales, and only really buy stuff via PSN through PayPal (which has gotten a bit more regular these past few months).
Im gonna make a new one and put one penny on it and see if they think im a terrorist before 2016

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
I had this problem awhile back, right in the middle of my PC build. A few calls to customer service and I was able to fix it. I just had to give my SS but I was able to update everything while on the phone with them without sending anything. Right after getting that fixed it then tried to make me re-verify my bank account but another call and I got past that too. Guess i got lucky or things have gotten worse.

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this problem awhile back, right in the middle of my PC build. A few calls to customer service and I was able to fix it. I just had to give my SS but I was able to update everything while on the phone with them without sending anything. Right after getting that fixed it then tried to make me re-verify my bank account but another call and I got past that too. Guess i got lucky or things have gotten worse.
I tried to call them several times and it's very obvious they're reading a generic reply: "Go to the resolution center." Did you already have your SSN in the accounr or just add it while on the phone?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Paypal is cancer. Their support is abysmal and their customer service is garbage and mostly automated. I remember I disputed some scam transactions and the scammers won by just typing "." into the reply box and paypal accepted that "evidence" to not give me a refund. Another time they kept telling me to 'talk to the seller" and i'm like "I would if he would reply ever" and they just kept repeating "Talk to the seller". Soo I just chargebacked it through my bank because they immediately realized the seller was a scammer. What a joke.

As for the limited account, that IS pretty strange because all i ever had to do was receive a text message or something to verify my account. Something like that, it was easy and simple. Though that was back in the day when paypal was only 40% shit.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I had a similar issue with Paypal where they wouldn't allow me to use my Paypal account with the credit card and once I finally called them they fixed the damn problem once and for all.

It was pointless to keep asking them via email since that never worked.

Paypal's great when it actually works properly but if not, total shit!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This happened to me too. I had a friend transfer money to my PP which didn't have a bank account added, it was immediately and automatically limited and I could not use the money. I couldn't even send it back to my friend.
I wasn't 18 yet at the time and didn't have a credit card, so I could not send them the information they wanted to remove the limitation.

I sent them an email a while later saying that this was my friend's money and now it was stuck in my PayPal account and that I did not have a credit card, and I didn't even get a response. However, 180 days after the account was limited, the account was partially unlocked automatically, so that I could withdraw the money, but not do anything else. I added my bank account to it and did so. That PayPal account is still limited to this day (if it even still exists), I got the money out of it and I wasn't about to give them a chance to cause more trouble. I just signed up another account once I turned 18, which I added my Visa details to.

I haven't had any issues like that since, but I don't like how extreme their automated anti-hacking measures are, that it affects completely legitimate accounts without any interaction from PayPal staff at all, and staff can do nothing about it once it happens. I always say PayPal sucks and it's good to see someone shares my opinion. I use PayPal on a regular basis to this day, but I never keep money in my account, and the only reason I use it is because many sites have it as their only payment option, and it feels safer than handing out my debit/credit card details to everyone. PP does have its upsides too, like buyer protection.

I think the way it works is that their system calculates risk based on your actual location, your set location in the PayPal account, whether you have verified your identity by phone/CC etc, and various other factors, and if it seems like potential fraud/phishing, it automatically takes measures to prevent you from using any money until you provide them proof of ID so that frauds/hackers will be scared away.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
This happened to me too. I had a friend transfer money to my PP which didn't have a bank account added, it was immediately and automatically limited and I could not use the money. I couldn't even send it back to my friend.
I wasn't 18 yet at the time and didn't have a credit card, so I could not send them the information they wanted to remove the limitation.

I sent them an email a while later saying that this was my friend's money and now it was stuck in my PayPal account and that I did not have a credit card, and I didn't even get a response. However, 180 days after the account was limited, the account was partially unlocked automatically, so that I could withdraw the money, but not do anything else. I added my bank account to it and did so. That PayPal account is still limited to this day (if it even still exists), I got the money out of it and I wasn't about to give them a chance to cause more trouble. I just signed up another account once I turned 18, which I added my Visa details to.

I haven't had any issues like that since, but I don't like how extreme their automated anti-hacking measures are, that it affects completely legitimate accounts without any interaction from PayPal staff at all, and staff can do nothing about it once it happens. I always say PayPal sucks and it's good to see someone shares my opinion. I use PayPal on a regular basis to this day, but I never keep money in my account, and the only reason I use it is because many sites have it as their only payment option, and it feels safer than handing out my debit/credit card details to everyone. PP does have its upsides too, like buyer protection.

Have you tried calling them? 'cause if you want Paypal to actually get stuff done this is the way to go.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Have you tried calling them? 'cause if you want Paypal to actually get stuff done this is the way to go.
I don't do phone calls. I really, really hate them, especially if the phone call is in English. Plus I was like 15, what was I gonna tell them? You're not even supposed to be able to create a PayPal account if you are under 18. If they started asking me questions it would become pretty apparent that something is not right.

And as I added to my previous post right after you read it, I think the way it works is that their system calculates risk based on your actual location, your set location in the PayPal account, whether you have verified your identity by phone/CC etc, and various other factors, and if it seems like potential fraud/phishing, it automatically takes measures to prevent you from using any money until you provide them proof of ID so that frauds/hackers will be scared away. So this could explain why many people don't have any problems, the system just considers you higher risk for some reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.