PayPal question

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please just answer, don't say "google it" or anything.

I have a PayPal with a credit card linked, but no Bank account. Will they let me recieve money from donations and stuff? Or do I need a bank account linked for that?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe you need to have a paypal business account to accept payments and that requires a linked bank account, credit/debit card, proof of identity, and so forth
Donation buttons are actually reserved for nonprofit charity organizations so you would have to something else set up like funds to buy new equipment, etc...

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Last I knew, PayPal basically won't let you do anything except make payments unless you directly link a bank account.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to receive money from other people's PayPal accounts before I linked my bank account. Now I can send an invoice and people can pay with debit card without needing a PayPal account.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
google it
Why not have a bank account attached? Does it really matter?
Why do birds suddenly appear?

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 is mostly right except you can receive payments with a personal account. I think you can receive money without a bank account but you will be able to only use for buying with PayPal. Also you can't get a donation button if I remember

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can receive payments, but probably not donations without linking your bank. There's also a spending/sending limit of somewhere around $2000? before you have to link a bank account, or at least there used to be.

An easy way around this (at least in the US) is to sign up for PayPal's prepaid debit card. There's a $4.95 monthly fee, but you can load cash directly to it from your PayPal balance or use it for direct deposits - in fact, they recommend setting it up as a bank account in your PayPal account for 'basic' (non-instant, but also exempt from daily/monthly transfer limits) transfers. Works as a standard debit card everywhere, including ATMs; it also lets you create virtual card numbers, which can be cancelled when you're done with them, for no additional fee, in case you want to buy a flashcard off a shady Chinese site and don't want your real card info stolen or something.

Full disclosure, that's a referral link above; if you sign up through it and add $10 to the card, we each get a $5 bonus.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off