Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pFg30vLZuka4MkVWfYyi9Q2.jpg

Doing round promoting his new movie Resident Evil Retribution, Paul W S Anderson has let slip that Capcom's Monster Hunter is to follow in the steps of Street Fighter and Reisdent Evil by being treated to a silver screen outing. Paul W S Anderson was quoted saying "Recently, I've been loving Monster Hunter! A film conversion is currently in planning."
If Anderson is actually directing/producing or just knows it is being made is unknown, his previous attempts at bringing video games to the big screen include Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil

yeh......I think his movies speak for themselves....​

Reactions: 1 person

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well he is not a complete hack (as a technical action director I might even go so far as to say he is quite good) and the absence much of a story in Monster Hunter games beyond the basic framing device means they could actually get something good out of it. What would be more shocking though is if he managed to make something that entertains me based on Monster Hunter- something about those games bores me almost as hard as pokemon and I otherwise enjoy roguelikes.

Reactions: 1 person

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hardly any releases... admittedly there are other franchises that get a higher percentage of their games localised but Monster Hunter is by no means doing badly for it compared to say Wizardry, much of the tales series and Romance of The Three Kingdoms and doubly so since it is Capcom at the helm.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if he managed to make something that entertains me based on Monster Hunter- something about those games bores me almost as hard as pokemon and I otherwise enjoy roguelikes.
That.

I don't like his work, it's too clean, predictable and dull. At best his films are passable but there are worse people who can do the films he has done.

D

Deleted-188346

I fail to see why this is so bad. If anything, it'll encourage Capcom to localise the franchise more frequently for the western market.
And hell, I'd see the movie just to see how they try to create a 90 minute story out of the Monster Hunter universe, and also to see which monsters they include and how they depict them.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Everyone seems to have forgotten about Mortal Kombat... the first movie was quite good considering that is almost had ZERO story elements.

The story in the game was actually nice.... Now if the game had an actual storyline (as Resident Evil) we should be starting to pray to some god for the Monster Hunter movie to never be made.

But as Monster Hunter doesn't have any decent story whatsoever, this might actually be something fun to watch, just mindless monster hunting! Now that might be a good popcorn movie.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's be honest, it's not like there's much of a story or anything to ruin here.

Even in the worse case scenario where the film is absolute garbage, the fans can just ignore it and continue on with playing the games. No harm, no foul.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please tell me this is another monster hunter product that won't be released in the US. This idea seems as dumb as a super Mario movie...oh wait...I mean a pokemon movie...oh shit...this is really gonna happen, isn't it? :/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know I already went but I am curious about two things

The perception that monster hunter never gets released outside Japan.
Looking at the releases by "generation" of the game most of them seem to make it in one form or another; it might take a year or slightly more and there were some cases like a later version was due/the original console was EOL so no need to bring an earlier version out but it is by no means one of the franchises that one time fans that do not speak Japanese have to suffer in knowing that in Japan there are a bunch more entries to play.

As we already covered it is not like Monster Hunter has a story (for my money it is usually having to cover broad strokes of a story that tanks film to game and game to film efforts) and the world itself- monsters (but no real trademark ones), big flashy weapons, possibility for training/weapons making montages and sentient races of the "ripped from mythology" variety...... how is that not classic fantasy monster film material?
On top of this no big cities means you can probably film a bunch of it in the woods (probably Eastern Europe again but hey they have good woods and are amenable to films being made there). I would also encourage a bunch of you to seek out Troll Hunter/Trolljegeren which was made on a budget about a tenth of the last R.E. film and in terms of pure visuals probably covers most of what a monster hunter game would want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: