Patching

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by R-Unit 4, Jan 29, 2007.

Jan 29, 2007

Patching by R-Unit 4 at 4:52 AM (1,383 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. R-Unit 4
    OP

Member R-Unit 4 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I am gonna start patching so I don't have to rely on other people much...but I don't get it...I have all the folders necessary and know how to patch...but what do you do after you patched it...how do you save and stuff??

2. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    ..What exactly are you patching? Roms don't need to be patched so I'm assuming you're talking about DLDI patching. Correct me if I'm wrong. [​IMG]

3. R-Unit 4
    OP

Australia
    yeah...dldi patching

4. Katalyst

United States
    Err...you patch the .nds, either using the console exe or the GUI version. That's pretty much it. For whatever it is you're patching, you follow the instructions for that app/game as far as file placement goes.

5. R-Unit 4
    OP

Australia
    i mean...I patched by how to save...(n00bish in a kinda way)

6. Katalyst

United States
    Still not understanding your problem [​IMG] Let's take it back a bit and get some specifics. What's the program you're patching? ;o

EDIT: Better yet, I should have directed you here first anyway. Read the homebrew section that covers patching (3.2)

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=42715

7. R-Unit 4
    OP

Australia
    that doesn't answer my question...I meant...how do ya save the patches to the .nds file...(MAc and Windows are the smae for this app so it doesn't really matter...

8. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    There's no saving to deal with, you just run the patcher and the .nds file will be modified to work with whatever cart you patch for. When you use the command line patcher it looks like it doesn't do anything, but it does. You can tell by looking at the timestamp on the .nds file.

http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/

edit: It sounds like you're using a Mac, so this may interest you: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=43406

9. Gim

Newcomer Gim Member

United Kingdom
    sorry to join in but im completely stuck when it comes to patching.. does anyone have a patched copy of the homebrew fish tank at all that will work on the R4? i tried following that guide but im completely clueless

thanks in advance for any help!

10. R-Unit 4
    OP

Australia
    I get it now...no saving required and also...some homebrews don't work with patching

11. bl21

Newcomer bl21 Advanced Member

United States
    i dont get it, r4 work with clean rom, so no patches are required. correct me if i am wrong.

12. Katalyst

United States
    You're correct. For roms of course. This thread is talking about DLDI patching for homebrew.

13. Gim

Newcomer Gim Member

United Kingdom
    do some games not work even when patched.. im pretty sure i patched fish tank right but its still exactly the same, it works beautifully until it gets to the screen where u choose adventure or freetank and from there the touchscreen doesnt work or any of the buttons.. it just doesnt seem to do anything!

14. Katalyst

United States
    Some homebrew may not work correctly even after patching. DLDI Patching just deals with libfat so that it works for whatever specific card you have. If the homebrew already had problems/issues, it's still going to have them. At that point, it's the developer's concern. If the homebrew doesn't support DLDI, then patching it won't even work. Speaking of, I don't think Fish Tank DS requires any patching if I'm not mistaken so I don't see how you patched it ;p (it doesn't do anything that requires libfat drivers).

Better explanation of DLDI: http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DLDI

15. Gim

Newcomer Gim Member

United Kingdom
    oook i think this is a lost cause.. most of that went straight over my head.. think i will stick to insanaquarium for now! thaks for all the help [​IMG] [​IMG]