Patching SDHC support into games

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ChrisRX, Sep 2, 2009.

Sep 2, 2009
  1. ChrisRX
    OP

Member ChrisRX GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Now that the wii has SDHC support in its menu and some games I assume this is because the SDHC support is included in an IOS file, and then the new wii menu uses this file. However older games (I'm thinking of Rock Band 2) do not support SDHC, and I'm assuming this is because it uses an older IOS.

Now could someone tell me is it is possible to patch a game to use a newer IOS that includes SDHC support, or if the SD functions are actually hard-coded into the game itself.

2. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    If you're happy to waste a disc and have a modchip/cioscorp you can try this http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=3812 to patch it to IOS 60. I don't think your instruments will work but you should be able to work out if a cIOS can access SDHC cards on none SDHC games by just swapping the relevant module for SD access (ie games just asks IOS to access an SD card and IOS does the rest). Otherwise you'd have to somehow patch the games dol itself.

3. playingsolitare

Newcomer playingsolitare Member

United States

I tried this... didn't get far. IOS patcher says "ERROR Couldn't get iso information"

I think it's b/c normal wii isos have a console ID of R while Guitar Hero/Rock Band has an ID of S. Is there another way to patch it?

4. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Why not patch RB2 to use GH5's IOS56 for better chance of USB instrument compatibility?

5. nano351

Member nano351 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well it also doesn't recognize some intstruments correctly like the nyko frontman is recognized as drums

6. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    I didin't know there was a GH5 (I don't like Dance Mat style games), let alone that it used IOS56, that's a better idea but he can't patch the disc...

Softchip lets you launch a game with any IOS I think http://data.atmmi.com/wii/SoftChipR99.zip

7. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    If I recall, changing the IOS the game runs off of won't solve the issue since the SD Card drivers are loaded from the game itself. At least that was the case with Brawl.

From: http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-wil...get-any-better/

8. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    i cant even begin to tell you how much i'd enjoy watching you play that game.

9. Codify

Newcomer Codify Member

United Kingdom