Hacking Patching region-free directly into Home Menu (arm9loaderhax or EmuNAND only)

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some custom firmwares such as AuReiNand now have region-free built into them, so you should use that instead if you just care about playing out-of-region games.

This could still be useful if you wanted to extract and rebuild Home Menu (or any system title) though. :)
This should go without saying, but using a patched Home Menu or NS will only work if using EmuNAND or arm9loaderhax with SysNAND. If you do this and install the modified Home Menu/NS to SysNAND without arm9loaderhax, you will brick.

Some might wait for a custom firmware to have this built in, some might want the Home Menu itself to do this. I like having this because it's more like actual custom firmware (loading pre-patched code into memory), but to each their own :P

And finally, this isn't really my work. The patch for Home Menu and NS is taken from Free multi Patcher, @daxtsu and I found out we could rebuild a Home Menu/NS CIA with these included.

Free multi Patcher searches for some bytes in memory when you try to use its region-free patch. Well, these bytes exist with Home Menu and NS system-module code.bin. If you can figure out how to rebuild a CIA (without doing 3DS -> CIA, unless that's possible for system titles?), then you can put these directly into the code.

Home Menu needs to be patched to show out-of-region icons, NS only needs to for out-of-region game cards due to the update partition. If you are only using out-of-region CIAs, you don't need to patch NS.

The exact bytes to patch are here:
https://github.com/hartmannaf/Free-...7ec2e99eedb07213/source/patches.cpp#L158-L186

The offsets for these change depending on region and version. For instance, here's 10.6.0-31U Home Menu:
BFZUyRN.png
For the Home Menu, 16 bytes need to be replaced. FMP only replaces 8, so the extra 8 are all 00.
Code:
normal:  00 00 55 E3 01 10 A0 E3 11 00 A0 E1 03 00 00 0A
patched: 01 00 A0 E3 70 80 BD E8 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
NS only needs 4 bytes to be replaced with 4. This appears in the code twice, at least with 10.0 - 10.3.
Code:
normal:  0C 18 E1 D8
patched: 0B 18 21 C8
I can't give a full tutorial on how to rebuild the CIA, however if you know how to use 3dstool and things, this might help you get started. Please back up your Sys/EmuNAND before you mess with important system titles.

Decrypt the original CIA first with Decrypt9 (Game Decryptor Options -> CIA Decryptor (deep)).

Once the CIA has been created, encrypt NCCH using Decrypt9 before installing, or it won't boot (Game Decryptor Options -> CIA Encryptor (NCCH)).
Code:
# extract CIA contents
ctrtool --contents=contents 0004003000008F02.cia

# extract CXI contents - the content ID (00000083) changes depending on region and version
3dstool -xvtf cxi contents.0000.00000083 --header ncch.header --exh exheader.bin --exefs exefs.bin --romfs romfs.bin --plain plain.bin

# extract ExeFS contents and header
3dstool -xvtf exefs exefs.bin --exefs-dir exefs --header exefs.header

# decompress code
3dstool -uvf exefs/code.bin --compress-type blz --compress-out code-orig.bin

# copy "code-orig.bin" to "code-patched.bin" and patch here

# re-compress code
3dstool -zvf code-patched.bin --compress-type blz --compress-out exefs/code.bin

# re-create ExeFS
3dstool -cvtf exefs exefs2.bin --exefs-dir exefs --header exefs.header

# re-create CXI
3dstool -cvtf cxi patched.cxi --header ncch.header --exh exheader.bin --exefs exefs2.bin --romfs romfs.bin --plain plain.bin

# re-create CIA
makerom -f cia -o HomeMenu-U-10.6-patched-noncch.cia -content patched.cxi:0 -ver 45000
# "ver" can be hex or an integer. you can change this without rebuilding by changing the two bytes at offset 0x2F9C of the CIA file
(Thanks to this post for helping with extracting and rebuilding the CXI)

Here's the video I made showing it off with normal ReiNand:

Last edited by ihaveahax,

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suspect there will be patched home menu cias on that iso site in no time!
I plan on setting up a system so I can quickly extract, patch, and rebuild the CIAs if they ever get updates again, so... :P
So I suspect the CFW will include this soon anyway, but this would've been done after every Emunand update, right?
if you change the version of the CIA, it will resist Nintendo updates.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So I suspect the CFW will include this soon anyway, but this would've been done after every Emunand update, right?

It would have to be done on every update that updates Home Menu and NS, but like @ihaveamac said, if you change the version numbers to something really high (like 0xAA00) they won't be changed. However, I don't recommend doing that personally, at least for NS, because while NATIVE_FIRM will happily load an old Home Menu, I'm not entirely sure what'll happen if you have it trying to load an [eventually] really old NS module.

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I experimented with this idea earlier but I gave up after bricking my 3DS multiple times by botching NS:https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-with-repacking-system-cias.416706/

(I also broke a JPN emunand beyond repair by trying to patch ngword, it won't update or install the clean CIA so I had to reformat it :/)

I'm not asking for credits but I'm happy someone has finally caught on

Last edited by lefthandsword,

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.