Patching Possibilities

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Phratt, Jun 6, 2009.

Jun 6, 2009

Patching Possibilities by Phratt at 11:09 PM (745 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Phratt
    OP

Member Phratt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I don't know if you guys heard but a fansite called "beyond the camera lens" is creating a patch for Fatal Frame 4. It'll translate the game that publishers REFUSE to bring across seas. Here's the catch though.

" We are attempting a very ambitious patch which will patch the original game on-the-fly, something that to my knowledge has never been attempted before. Should we succeed, the patch will be read off an SD card and run through the Wii Memory Management menu, and will function as long as you have the original game in your disc drive.

Should the patching method be successfully implemented, the game will run on any Wii, any version, any region."

How is this possible? Is this the first time? Will it actually work?

Last I checked, Marcan said that the Wii couldn't communicate with the game, while the game was in play, so on the fly Hacking wouldn't work via SD cards. So why are these people so confident? From what it looks like right here There plans are likely possible.

So if it is, then what does this mean for the hombrew community?

Well if we are able to figure out how to do similar things we can enable things like Translations, Texture editing, Adding Online to games (tricking multiplayer software or something), and much more. Maybe this can open to an otherwise small ceiling to a huge sky.

What do you guys think?

2. Dr4c0

Member Dr4c0 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    this would be awesome.......i know my friends wanted me to help them translate that japanese 2d ninja game on the fly.....but really they were playing and sending me pictures of the menu and stuff to tell them what it means.....

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "Wii Memory Management menu"
    To my cynical mind this says someone figured out how bannerbomb works before sticking a loader as the app being launched (we have several ranging from geckoOS to the launching channels) and then looked at Wiipower's "toys" ( http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=125909 ) or at least the concept they are based upon (the toys are launchers in their own right too). Of course this will probably all be made as transparent as possible.
    If indeed this is what was done it is not a good idea as bannerbomb will likely be fixed as the first available opportunity by Nintendo (it is a given that Nintendo watch what is going on and it has been some time since release and even longer since the proof of concept).

"game in your disc drive"
    To me this says soft mod (that and that "read only memory" part of DVD-ROM).

"Marcan said that the Wii couldn't communicate with the game"
    The difference between what is happening here and what Marcan spoke of is subtle but very crucial: if I understand correctly Marcan was alluding to the almost "protected mode" the wii runs (persons familiar with modern x86 instructions should know the term) in but for others it means the program does not operate with total control over the system. In this case it is the IOS running on the ARM processor which essentially controls the system while the powerpc which is all the game can access acts as little more than a calculator.
    Here if my bannerbomb theory is correct it will all be over before the game is launched.

This may be getting ahead of things though:
    All rom hacking on all systems revolves around figuring out what sections of code do, if we are lucky these sections are broken down into files (as indeed they are on the wii and most modern systems).

The wii being a disc based medium will likely pull data from the disc to the system memory for speed, this will be commonly used data which tends to include the game binary (program) and text (if it is not already in the binary) as well as some graphics.
    Modern cheats (older systems had the game genie which worked slightly differently) by patching the memory, usually this is for infinite lives/bullets/monkeys but in theory it could expanded to full on game hacks (some things starting down this path like the gamecube AR homebrew methods for instance or more recently some of the more elaborate camera and sound hacks on the DS).

It will likely be a bit harder as consoles have seriously limited memory and things get overwritten (one of the reasons some games have a "press ? to activate cheat" option) although if I were them I would try for a hooking method and patching files on the fly.

I may also be looking too far into the cheating side of things, if I was going to do it properly I would go to the point of making a trainer of sorts (or at least that level of complexity).

To answer your question yes this could do all of those things but as this is just a method of "using" the hack it makes next to no difference to how hard it would be to do the hacks in the first place.

I will say though this is an awesome way of dodging the RSA checks (what the trucha patcher fixes).

4. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    I'm not sure how it would be possible with only the files on an SD card, something more would have to be done to be able to get the SD/Wii to communicate with the game since it isn't built into the game (Unless it is and no one has noticed for this particular game

5. Phratt
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the replies. Especially fast! [​IMG] I'm not sure if I fully understand what you said, but it sure sounds promising.

Do you think you'd be able to look further into it yourself? Or do not know coding like that?

If you only do coding for what you want on your own time, its also understandable, it just that I'm a major script kiddie.

6. Phratt
    OP

United States
    anybody else have any thoughts?