Patching pokemon for the ez-flash V 3-in-1

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by vincom2, Nov 15, 2007.

Nov 15, 2007
  1. vincom2
    OP

Newcomer vincom2 Advanced Member

Singapore
    Everything I've seen says that roms with save types like pokemon (1024 kbit flash I believe it is) should be patched with the ez4 client for them to save properly when used on an ez-flash V 3-in-1. Unfortunately, whenever I start the ez4 client on my computer, it crashes.
    Any suggestions as to how to stop these crashes, or suggested alternatives to use?

Thanks in advance.

2. betawind

Member betawind GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't believe there is an alternative that would take care of this. What OS are you running? What error are you getting on crash? What source did you get the client from?

3. vincom2
    OP

Singapore
    Windows XP.
    Got the client from http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=532

Crashes as in I never get to see the main program window, the "program has encountered an error and needs to close" crash reporting window pops up when I run it. The first time I ran it I did get to the language selection screen though.

4. betawind

Member betawind GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok, that doesn't give us alot go on. I was trying to find out exactly what the requirements for this software were (.net, vb, etc) and while I was not able to find that, I was able to find a possible alternative client, found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/ez4clientplus/. I do not know if this will work for your setup, but its worth a shot. I cannot install it right now as I am at work, but its worth a shot.

5. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You can patch the pokemon games with GBATA, and they will work. You'll see an error message about the save every time you start the game, but it will still save your game. This will also allow you to run the game from PSRAM with the 3in1 Expansion Pack Tool.

The main problem with this is that you will need to fix the save, and write it and the game to NOR in order to migrate the pokeymans to Diamond or Pearl.

6. vincom2
    OP

Singapore
    Thank you both of you. I don't want to try the plus client because I don't particularly feel like installing Microsoft J# libraries, but the ez4 client does run on my sister's laptop, so I guess I'll just have to use that computer whenever I need to patch such roms.

Could you clarify the save fixing process just in case? I concatenate the file to itself and run it through VBA? Then how would I write it to NOR? Just stick it in the /GBA/SAVE folder on my microSD and use rudolph's 3-in-1 client to write it as per normal?

Edit: Oh, and I need 1 more clarification. Since the pokemon roms have been patched using the ez4 client, does this mean that I'll experience save file trouble if I try running them from PSRAM, and I have to write them to NOR if I want to play them?

Sorry for being such a hassle [​IMG]

Edit 2: Oh, and after patching the save, I used GBATA to patch the RTC, but the in-game clock seemingly runs only when I'm playing the game. Is this what's supposed to happen?

7. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Yes.