Patching games for download play

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Plumsicle, Aug 8, 2006.

Aug 8, 2006
  1. Plumsicle
    OP

Newcomer Plumsicle Newbie

United States
    I've been searching a lot of places and have yet to find out how to patch a game onto the G6 that will allow me to use download play with unflashed DS's.

I currently own a black European DS Lite with the new G6 Lite unflashed using the Neo MK4-mini card.

Though it may seem that my question is the same question that everyone else is asking, it is not. I know that download play between two unflashed DS Lites do not work due to the RSA security preventing it. That's why a flashed DS Lite should be on the receiving end because it will ignore the RSA signature all together and accept and download the game. There is also some debate about whether the DS Lite itself or game is the one sending out the RSA code.

I believe the MK4-mini allows you to bypass this RSA to some extent, if not completely. It does say on the packaging it is "RSA Secure." Whatever they mean by that. But having tested it myself with unflashed DS Lites, they are able to commence download play with me. Which never happened when I was previously using the passkey2.

The game will freeze just as it is about to load, at the Nintendo logo screen on the DS Lite that is downloading. This tells me that the downloading DS Lite was able to connect to the DS Lite using the MK4-mini and G6 Lite adapter but for some reason was not able to load the game. This lead me to the conclusion that it may be the way the games are patched onto the DS Lite.

I've tried using directly copy option for the G6 U-disk Manager, but then the games fail to load on my DS Lite. Period.

Any help would be appreciated in figuring out this mystery. Thanks in advance for any input you may have. =]

-pkoa.plums

P.S. - I have tried taking out the passcard after loading the G6 Lite and putting it inside the downloading DS Lite at start up to see if that would work. But it ends up freezing at the same place.

2. FSSimon

Member FSSimon GBAtemp Regular

Canada
  3. Plumsicle
    OP

Newcomer Plumsicle Newbie

United States
    I've read over the link that you sent me.

And thanks for the help. But that only refers to flashed DS Lites.

I'm able to get flashed DS Lites to download play fine, but it's unflashed DS Lites I'm trying to get to download from me.

-pkoa.plums

4. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    most patching methods mess up RSA keys. In other words, playing a DS rom from the gba slot will likely mess up the RSA keys. It would take many years for a person to crack the RSA encryption. FlashMe will bypass invalid RSA keys and allow download play.

edit: if you think about it, how would the MK4 affect download play? It's not in use when trying to download. RSA only affects wireless transmissions (in terms of DS-related stuff)

5. Battalia

Newcomer Battalia Advanced Member

United States
    Why can't you use a passcard 3 instead of flashing your DS? That's what I have - a G6 Lite w/Passcard 3 and I can play anything.

6. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    The magickey 4 is an equivalent. He's flashing his DS so it can receive download play from roms.