Hacking Patches to convert PAL 50hz games into PAL 60hz (Nintendont Compatible)

aldair3098

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
MaeseJesus Hello friend, hey can you create a patch of super mario sunshine Pal in 480p please I speak Spanish and I would like to see it in its maximum video quality please.

Last edited by aldair3098,

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Super Mario Sunshine already has 60hz Support natively and can be easily forced to Progressive Scan through either swiss on GC or Nintendont on Wii.

The only other thing you can do to improve video quality is to remove the Flicker filter, which also can be done with Swiss (I don't know the process) and Nintendont by forcing NTSC or PAL60 video formats.

A patch like the others I did would only help you overcome the annoyance of a game ONLY being played at 50Hz, but Sunshine already does it by itself.

aldair3098

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Super Mario Sunshine already has 60hz Support natively and can be easily forced to Progressive Scan through either swiss on GC or Nintendont on Wii.

The only other thing you can do to improve video quality is to remove the Flicker filter, which also can be done with Swiss (I don't know the process) and Nintendont by forcing NTSC or PAL60 video formats.

A patch like the others I did would only help you overcome the annoyance of a game ONLY being played at 50Hz, but Sunshine already does it by itself.
I already tried to force progressive video but on nintendo it will put 480i and if I change the video mode from 480p ntsc or 480p pal the screen will go black, in a few words on nintendo it cannot, but if he heard that swiss can, but not I can make it run the program

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
if I change the video mode from 480p ntsc or 480p pal the screen will go black

Have you tried pushing a button when the screen is black? If I remember correctly, some games like F-Zero would have you choose if you want the game to run in 60 htz, and sometimes that selection screen wouldn't appear. But when I selected "yes" (by pushing the button), the TV would display the picture in progressive.

Reactions: Maeson

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If it shows a black screen it means your TV is not compatible with 50Hz, so what you're not seeing is the Hz selector that many GC PAL games have. The moment you boot them up, they ask you if you want 60Hz or 50Hz, usually with the 60Hz option being selected by default. You only need to push A and the game goes into 60Hz, and if you have Progressive Scan set on, then the game boots in 480p instead of 480i.

But as I said, if you force PAL60Hz (480i) which you should do if you want to remove the Flicker filter to make the picture clearer, games should start at that too, and you should be able to see that screen. At least the games I have tested, I will have to rip again my disc to see if that's the case with Sunshine.

Edit: Okay, this is random. The PAL Version of Super Mario Sunshine cannot be forced to Progressive Scan with Nintendont, it ignores video modes. Apparently it was working on an old version but it stopped being compatible after update 3.344. You can play it in 480p with Swiss on Wii through this method, but I have not personally tried it.

I've been using the NTSC version because of the 60fps patch that popped on the internet a few years ago, so I had no idea it changed...

Last edited by Maeson,

aldair3098

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My television is a led screen and if it is compatible with the video pal 576i 50hz I say this because crash bandicoot the wrath of cortex PAL in 480p the screen does not come out complete apart from the voices the game is 100% functional in force PAL.
in super mario sunshine i tried to press the A but it is not responding and the console freezes and forces me to reboot.
Note: I obviously have component cable and my console and TV is region in case you're wondering NTSC-U and I'm Mexican in case you're wondering.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If it shows a black screen it means your TV is not compatible with 50Hz, so what you're not seeing is the Hz selector that many GC PAL games have. The moment you boot them up, they ask you if you want 60Hz or 50Hz, usually with the 60Hz option being selected by default. You only need to push A and the game goes into 60Hz, and if you have Progressive Scan set on, then the game boots in 480p instead of 480i.

But as I said, if you force PAL60Hz (480i) which you should do if you want to remove the Flicker filter to make the picture clearer, games should start at that too, and you should be able to see that screen. At least the games I have tested, I will have to rip again my disc to see if that's the case with Sunshine.

Edit: Okay, this is random. The PAL Version of Super Mario Sunshine cannot be forced to Progressive Scan with Nintendont, it ignores video modes. Apparently it was working on an old version but it stopped being compatible after update 3.344. You can play it in 480p with Swiss on Wii through this method, but I have not personally tried it.

I've been using the NTSC version because of the 60fps patch that popped on the internet a few years ago, so I had no idea it changed...
if I know that tutorial but I could not get it to work on my Wii

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Last night I wasted a couple hours messing around with Sunshine PAL but nothing worked, at all. It always boots at 50Hz. Sorry. If you want to play it with the best picture quality you need the NTSC version. At least I learnt a couple things from it.

On the other hand, when I looked at the Nintendont Compatibility List made here (which is how I first saw Sunshine PAL can't be forced to 480p anymore), I also saw that Turok Evolution NTSC does not work properly on it either... Yet the PAL one does, but of course, that one only works at 50Hz, they didn't give it support. Hurrah.

After getting tired of Sunshine I tried to see if I could at least do something with that one, and fortunately I did, I manage to make it boot at 480i, easily forced to Progressive through Nintendont (and with Force NTSC/PAL 60 it looks really clean), so that's good news at least, now we can play that game without glitches and correct speed/video format!

I can't upload the patch right now, I'm not home. Later today I'll prepare the package and add it to the first post.

Edit: Here's a Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2auqvwb4jqwexm/turok evolution pal60 patch.7z?dl=0

It has simple instructions to use with DeltaPatcher or even just Hex edit it quickly.

Last edited by Maeson,
Reactions: totakeke95

Gabberhead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I patched the eu pal Version of turok. The game now starts with 60hz, but the Videos are not playing. I think, because the Videos are made with 25fps but the game is now 30fps with the Patch. Then I extracted the Videos from the us Version, and made a pal iso again with the US Video files. Now the Videos are also playing in pal 60hz. The only problem now is, like in the US version of the game, the Videos are skipped after ca. 30-40sek. This happens only with nintendont. With dolphin, the US Version is working without Problem, and also the pal Version in 60hz and with the Video files from the us Version are also working without Problems.

Amuro-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would like one for Resident Evil 2, the gecko code even works, but the screen is enlarged, thus cutting part of it

Amuro-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would like one for Resident Evil 2, the gecko code even works, but the screen is enlarged, thus cutting part of it

daddu3

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Been messing around making Rayman 3's unused 60hz-mode work on the PAL-version, but so far it seems Nintendont doesn't support it despite using the following cheat:

Code:
60Hz
040A4080 38600000
04225558 00000014

On Dolphin it goes through, so looking now for a way to inject the cheat directly to the ISO...

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Gecko codes of this nature tend to not work on Nintendont.

The code seems to be on the simpler side, it should be doable. To do what you want you need to use Dolphin's debug options and look on the offsets of the cheatcode (the 4 byte strings on the left) and compare the data while the cheat code is on and off, and then try to find strings that match on the iso.

I'll take a look. About Resident Evil 2, good to know it works with the gecko code itself, but I couldn't make it into the iso when I tried to force 60Hz on it years ago.

totakeke95

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I played Rayman 3 a few years ago with cheat code to force it to 60hz and it worked but the sound of scenes was heard with delay, that's why I prefer US version

Reactions: Maeson

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Oh, so it's one of *those* games... Yeah then, I see no reason to play the PAL version even if forced to 60hz then, specially since Rayman 3 is one of those NTSC-U releases that contain every language the PAL version does.

Reactions: Brand Newman

daddu3

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Oh, so it's one of *those* games... Yeah then, I see no reason to play the PAL version even if forced to 60hz then, specially since Rayman 3 is one of those NTSC-U releases that contain every language the PAL version does.

Yeah, I had noticed that too - only problem is that NTSC Rayman 3 only gives black screen when attempting to boot it with PAL60-patch on from Nintendont past the GCN-startup logo - so I'm forced to forego RGB for S-Video/Composite to play it on NTSC-mode on my PAL Wii plugged on my current 21" CRT.

IIRC the creator of Nintendont had long been done doing individual fixes for NTSC-region games to work with PAL60-patch too. :mellow:

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I really don't get why would it cause issues, I have played NTSC Rayman 3 on my PAL Wii through Nintendont and it workes fine all the way...

You don't need to force the game to PAL60 for it to work on your PAL system, european Wiis do NTSC fine.

In any case I could still take a look, if you need it that badly.

Edit: I checked it out... As I said it seemed simple enough:

Offsets on the ISO:

B5998 : 7cbf2b78 4801d565 7fe3fb78 80010014
241150: 800b7644 800b764c 00000000 028001e0

Change 7fe3fb78 into 38600000 and 00000000 into 00000014.

Last edited by Maeson,

daddu3

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I really don't get why would it cause issues, I have played NTSC Rayman 3 on my PAL Wii through Nintendont and it workes fine all the way...

You don't need to force the game to PAL60 for it to work on your PAL system, european Wiis do NTSC fine.
I guess what I meant is that I can only play NTSC Rayman 3 under S-Video or Composite video output to avoid the red tint problem that using Wii's RGB output poses - though this means I have to settle on inferior picture quality in comparison to RGB just to play more smoother Rayman 3 in particular.

Other NTSC-games supporting PAL60 let me generally get around this (i.e Super Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Wind Waker), so I guess it's a bummer for me here in this case - as I'd rather keep things pretty uniform and be able to play any GCN-game with RGB-output rather than switch around cables just to play a particular game, especially if it means having to settle on inferior video output.:unsure:

Amuro-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
finally I found a solution for RE 2, I went after everything that is on the internet, besides the 60Hz code in RE 2, I have to force the video in NTSC and patch PAL 50, it doesn't work in USB Loader only in native Nintendont,

leodexe

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Can anyone tell me how to update this outdated list? These Mario Partys do in fact support 480p and someone put inaccurate entries on MP5 MP6 and MP7 that needs to be fixed.
Also, still no one has figured a way to play the PAL Mario Party series at 480p (forced Progressive Scan), without the timer going 20% too fast?
nintendont-mariopartys.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte