Gaming .part Files. Grand Theft Auto

UtadaRumiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. So i'm a little stuck. I recently downloaded GTA Liberty City Stories for the PSP through a torrent. Instead of a single ISO file it came out as 24 different part files (a-gtalcs.001, a-gtalcs.002, a-gtalcs.003, etc...) and 1 sfv file.

I figured all I had to do was join them so I used HJSplit. It combined the files and made it a single "file" file. I knew this wouldn't work on my PSP just yet so I right-clicked on that file --> Power ISO --> add to image file and it converted it to an ISO file. Then I dragged it on to my PSP once it was completed.

However, the file wasn't visible in my gaming library. I knew I had to have done it wrong. Is it because the HJSplit combined the sfv file along with the 24 part files? Or something else?

UtadaRumiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am very familiar with Winrar already. These aren't .rar files and therefore there is no "extract here" option.

I

ishdeepsingh

hmm, thats not right
haha probably not going to work but try changine the 'file' extention to ".iso"
Who knows, you might get lucky

I

ishdeepsingh

Well that will break the Temps Rules (Piracy)..
Before you go try to download another, try this:

(Got off another website)
If by "split" you mean it's in 001, 002 files, all of the same size, then I've got news for you - those are RARs.
OMG! Thankyou! I didnt realise this. I just went to open with... WinRAR and it worked!

Also Got this off of another website:
Hi-
I have a Wiikey and have downloaded Resident Evil and Mario Party 8. Once the downloads were completed – I took the ‘filename.001’ file and ran it through HJSplit to recombine the file. Once it was done I got the full 4 gig file, but it has no filename extension. I have tried to manually change the filename extension to .iso, .zip, .rar, etc and nothing seems to make sense of it.
Can someone please tell me what I need to do to the file to get it to the next stage? Ultimately I just want to get it to an .iso so I can but with Imgburn but cannot seem to get past this step.
Many thanks in advance
Yes. You need to download a program called winrar. The files you are seeing are .rar files (i know you may not be able to see the extension, but trust me that is what it is) and they are made into multiple files to prevent corruption when downloading. This way if a part of a file is corrupt you only have to download that 40 some meg file again rather than an entire 4.5gb .rar Anyhow, get winrar, install it, and just get the first of the files (usually wil be .001) and right click it > extract to... pick where you want it extracted, and it will produce an iso. From there you can burn it with any program that supports iso burning.
WinRAR is the correct program - you just have to force it to open the *.001 extension.

So I guess you gotta open winrar and go File > Open Archive, browse for the .001 file and try opening it like that.

UtadaRumiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, sorry. I forgot that was against the rules. Nevermind then.

And yeah, these are definitely not .rar files. Trust me.

I

ishdeepsingh

Ahh, sorry. I forgot that was against the rules. Nevermind then.

And yeah, these are definitely not .rar files. Trust me.
Well just try opening it in winrar instead of right clicking the file, because I download part files all the time and winrar always works for me

UtadaRumiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry. I just don't know how else to explain it. They're PART files that end in .001, .002, all the way up to .024. When I look at the "file type" it says "Type: 001 File" That's if i'm looking at the first file. For, let's say, number .024 is says "Type: 024" file and so on. I combined them using the program I was talking about and ended up with a "File" type file with no more numbers at the end of the name. It says Type: File. That's it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Also, they were never in .rar format to begin with. They came just like I told you. No extraction with Winrar was needed. The right-click context menu won't work, since it isn't an extension registered with WinRAR

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry. I just don't know how else to explain it. They're PART files that end in .001, .002, all the way up to .024. When I look at the "file type" it says "Type: 001 File" That's if i'm looking at the first file. For, let's say, number .024 is says "Type: 024" file and so on. I combined them using the program I was talking about and ended up with a "File" type file with no more numbers at the end of the name. It says Type: File. That's it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Also, they were never in .rar format to begin with. They came just like I told you. No extraction with Winrar was needed.
Those would be rar files. Right click the .001 -> Open with -> Choose Default Program -> Winrar -> Open -> Extract.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
extensions don't determine shit.
IGNORE THE EXTENSION. Extensions don't mean shit.

The only thing they're even used for is for windows to know which program to open a file with by default when you double-click on it.

An extension does NOT determine the format, and it's entirely possible to have things in one format be named after another, either as a mistake or on purpose (to hide what type a file is from normal users that don't know any better, for example).

It's a split RAR. Open it with WinRAR or 7-zip.

Open it WITH WINRAR OR 7-ZIP. DO NOT just double-click it. Actually open WinRAR or 7-zip, and open the first file from there, with File - Open. Then extract and it'll piece it together.

Reactions: 1 person

UtadaRumiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh. I'm sorry, when I said PART, I meant that the files came in parts. They're not actually "Type: Part File." Believe me, it isn't a compressed file. It has already been extracted. I can't extract it any more than it has been already.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Believe me, it isn't a compressed file.
Believe me, you don't know what you're talking about. :P

It has already been extracted. I can't extract it any more than it has been already.
"I opened a box, there's no way in hell that one box could have another box inside it."

*facepalm*

EDIT: To clarify, the files are split to be easily downloaded through "underground" means. The site you got the download from took the split+compressed files and just stuck them inside another archive, not for more compression, but simply so you'd only have to download one file. After you extract what the site gave you, then you still have to piece it back together.

It's like getting furniture from the mail in a box. After you open the box and get all the parts, you still have to put the thing together.

Reactions: 1 person

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If winrar or 7zip don't open it then maybe either you're missing some of the files (if it's rar there's usually one ending with .rar in addition to all the .00x ones, but there can be exceptions) or maybe it's a fake download. That does happen. Some a-holes get their "lulz" making you waste time downloading garbage.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
From what I've seen lately people tend to not bother to rename the .000 into .rar, and will just leave all the extensions as they're given because the people who pirate this stuff know how to use them anyways, or already set their associations for .000 and .001 so windows actually knows how to open it by default.

UtadaRumiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very sorry guys. I did you what you said Rydian and just opened the first file (a-gtalcs.001) in Winrar. (I had to Right click ---> Open with... --> Choose program --> Let windows manage file --> Recommended programs ---> Winrar.) Extracted it from the Winrar archive or whatever and then it combined them to the ISO like you said.

To be honest, I was having a hard time understanding how Winrar had anything to do with non-rar files xD Guess I was playing by the book and overthinking it too much. I feel pretty stupid now that I realize how simple it actually was. Really sorry for the trouble and frustration I may have caused you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: