brianBTB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I have a DS lite, but it is kinda old so some of my games stopped being detected.

I want a Slot one cartridge to play backup roms, with high compatibility, large storage (are there carts which hold multiple roms like a USB loader on wii??), good speed, reliable, less than 40 dollars.

DSi compatibility is not needed.

===
What would I need to do to play roms with a cartridge? I have never hacked DS before and with 3ds on the horizon I figured I might as well start!

Brian

PS
Is there any way to replace or mod the IOS on the DS like on the wii? NOT DSi...
Custom menus, internal flash expansions for holding games without cartridges, etc?

Saken

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would recommend an R4 clone from Lightake
With this you may install Wood R4 firmware which has incredibly good compatibility, and if there's a big release, YWG updates incredibly quick.
It is also very cheap, however you'll have to buy a Micro SD separately. Make sure it's not an SDHC.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hello, Catboy here
happy.gif

I would suggest if you don't intend on upgrading to a DSi anytime in the near future go with an Acekard 2.1 from shoptemp and use AKAIO which features such things as AP-Bypass, Wifi updates, SDHC support and great compatibly thanks to the AP-Bypass.
If you are feeling cheap go with R4 from shoptemp which uses R4 Wood which features great comfortability, a cheap price, but doesn't use SDHC, nor Wifi updates, but it does use the same skins as AKAIO since it uses an RPG based firmware.
Also you need a microSD card to play roms on a flashcard, Shoptemp (well most sites) offer microSD cards with your order

brianBTB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Hello, Catboy here
happy.gif

I would suggest if you don't intend on upgrading to a DSi anytime in the near future go with an Acekard 2.1 from shoptemp and use AKAIO which features such things as AP-Bypass, Wifi updates, SDHC support and great compatibly thanks to the AP-Bypass.
If you are feeling cheap go with R4 from shoptemp which uses R4 Wood which features great comfortability, a cheap price, but doesn't use SDHC, nor Wifi updates, but it does use the same skins as AKAIO since it uses an RPG based firmware.
Also you need a microSD card to play roms on a flashcard, Shoptemp (well most sites) offer microSD cards with your order

Actually I am going to get a 3ds in the August-September range... So no dsi!

And thanks. will be going with the acekard.
Will the acekard allow me to mod interna software or is that not possible?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
brianBTB said:
Hello, Catboy here
happy.gif

Actually I am going to get a 3ds in the August-September range... So no dsi!

And thanks. will be going eith the acekard.
Alright then, might I suggest one other thing, if you are interested in playing GBA games, I would also suggest picking up an EZ 3-in-1 you can use that for GBA games as well as ram for the Opera browser. It's a cheaper and better alternative to the Supercard Two

There are no real mods for the internal software for the DS Lite (phat) there is an alternate firmware called Flashme which can get rid of the startup screen as well protect you from trogens, but other than that, there aren't really any mods outside of flashcards.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
All modern flash carts read ROMs off of a MicroSD card, so you can get something like an Acekard 2i, stick an 8GB MicroSD card in it, and have 8GB to fill up with ROMs and homebrew if you really want. Hell, it supports 32GB cards, but most people are fine with 4-8GB (and many people get by on 2GB).

There's no mods to play ROMs outside of flash carts, but flash carts are easy.

brianBTB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright then, might I suggest one other thing, if you are interested in playing GBA games, I would also suggest picking up an EZ 3-in-1 you can use that for GBA games as well as ram for the Opera browser. It's a cheaper and better alternative to the Supercard Two

There are no real mods for the internal software for the DS Lite (phat) there is an alternate firmware called Flashme which can get rid of the startup screen as well protect you from trogens, but other than that, there aren't really any mods outside of flashcards.

I heard the ez3-1 was rather cheap and unreliable, that saves were broken for many games, and that the rumble was excessive to the point of damaging you DS...

Thanks for all of the advice, and I will probably go with the acekard 2.
I am correct that all you have to do is put roms, homebrews, movies, etc on the Micro SD card and then insert into the Flash Cartridge then run like a normal cart right?

Brian

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
brianBTB said:
I heard the ez3-1 was rather cheap and unreliable, that saves were broken for many games, and that the rumble was excessive to the point of damaging you DS...

Actually the 3in1 is one of the best alternative for native GBA on a DS/DSL. I've had mine close to 3 years now and hasn't affected the DSL in any harmful way. I get to enjoy those older GBA games and have the DS Browser working (something that I rarely use but still). Rumble is pretty much useless for the DS since not very many games support it and the rumble effect is pretty vague. Saves not working is possibly a result of a dead battery which can be changed to a new one to make the 3in1 work again. Doesn't need that much of skill to change it, just a screw driver and a new battery
smile.gif

-Qtis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yeah agreed