Parents. Are yours A-holes too?

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
nutella said:
My mum is THE most paranoid and insane person I have ever known. Here are a few reasons:

- She wouldn't let my brother walk down the street to his friend's house when he was 16 because there were stories about the infamous "black panthers" in Sydney. These stories occurred in places about 100km from where I live, plus we lived on a cul-de-sac.

- On my birthday, she invited all her friends, made me a cake which looked like a wedding cake and put flowers all over the house. It seemed like her birthday party more than anything.

- When she takes photos at any special occasion (on holiday, birthdays, etc.) she takes photos with two cameras, in both landscape and portrait and zoomed in and out, all of the same god damn thing with as many combinations of people as she can.

- She won't go shopping for groceries without either me or my dad, but mostly me. I don't know why. She kids that I need to be her body guard, but it's so weird that it's specifically groceries. She'll gladly shop for, say, glasses or something all alone, just not groceries. (and it's not a lifting thing, she won't even buy milk on the way home from work, she'll come home and pick me up first)

- When I went to Japan, she needed to give me the pin number to my bank account. We were talking through Pokemon since I didn't have my own computer and I didn't want to pay, so it worked out well. Anyway, she didn't want to say the pin number over the chat, so she gave me each number over a period of four days.

- She stalks my Facebook ALL THE TIME. In fact, she uses Facebook more than all of out family put together, yet she still doesn't know how to do certain things. In fact, she uses a computer all the time at work but she doesn't know how to use a computer at home except for web browsing and looking at photos in Explorer.

These are the things that come to mind, but I know there's more. These are not reasons I hate my mum, I have nothing against her. She's just insane.

Are you serious ? Okay for the birthday thing (my dad did the same once, I said I didn't want to have a party, so he invited a lot of people for "my birthday". I ended watching TV with my mother), but if you didn't want, you could have made your own Bday party. Then I shall remind you that she is the one who gave birth to you. I think you can go shopping for groceries in exchange
biggrin.gif
. Maybe she's acting like you're still a kid, but we'll always be kids for our parents. Thoses things can be annoying, but you'll regret those when she'll be gone.

Personally, my parents are really nice. My mother was kind of overprotective when I was young (I remember one day she watched a show about manga/animes and hentai while I was reading a manga just next to her, and told me "everytime you want to read one of those, I'll read it before to know if it safe or not". I laughed in my head and said "Ok, no problem.") but nothing very annoying. My father was the "cool guy". Never shouted on me, always buying me a lot of stuff, etc... Now my father works in a foreign country so I see him only 2-3 in a year. My mother got homesick and decided to go back in our country of origin 3 years ago (I was 17yrs. old). So my parents are now my big brother, who is cool, but can be mad for little things like dishwashing. And now my mother left, me and my little brother are doing all the chores at home, including grocery shopping
tongue.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hells Malice: How old is your sister?
mellow.gif

431unknown said:
From where I'm sitting I'm seeing good parenting with some exceptions. When you're all at the point where you're all parents remember how you felt about yours. You'll be hypocrites just like them, I guarantee.
By then they'll be so angry with how their parents treated them they'll want to get revenge by treating their children in the same way.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My dad is the only asshole. He's one of the worst people you will ever meet. Here are some examples:

I had a friend who was the same age as me. Me and him were into the exact same things. We took the same courses in school, not to make it fun, but by complete luck. We even took the exact same computer courses. Anyways, a few years ago, my computer was hacked, and I thought it was him who did it because he spoke the same way. Like my friend and the hacker, never used capitals or periods. They only used ",,,". I thought it was my friend. And I realized, that there's no way in hell he could have done it only because I didn't have him on MSN at the time, or Facebook or anything. And even if he did do it, he's not that smart enough to hide himself.

A couple weeks ago, he threatened my younger sister saying "2011 is going to be hell for you. And it's not me you have to worry about". And me and my dad were talking about it. He says "that's 2 times now we've had trouble with him." I was confused, he said "when your computer was hacked, and now this." And I explained to him why it couldn't have, and he raises his voice and goes "How do you know he didn't?!" I didn't say anything, but I thought "because I know him a lot better than you."

Another time is well, just now. He was talking about budget and how to keep track of it. And he was showing me a book that's way too confusing, that he made -_-. And he goes "this is the best way to keep track of your expenses." I said it's too confusing and that I'll just figure out my own way. He yells "why is it that you always have to argue with me?!"

Or how I'm not going to college here (I get free tuition) because I'll be moving to a different province, and he says "it'll help you figure out what you want to do in life." And I told him what I want to do, and he goes "no no no, I mean like a real job. I'll get you booklets and set you up an appointment with the councellor so you can get into trades, that's where the real money is." And I said again, that what I want to be is a graphic designer either for websites, games, or advertising. And he goes "YOU ALWAYS FUCKING ARGUE WITH ME! I'M TRYING TO CHOOSE THE BEST CHOICE FOR YOU!"

He also blames everybody but himself. If someone stops hanging out with him, it's their fault, not his...

tl;dr: My dad's a dick.

Son of Science

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
My dad is the only asshole. He's one of the worst people you will ever meet. Here are some examples:

I had a friend who was the same age as me. Me and him were into the exact same things. We took the same courses in school, not to make it fun, but by complete luck. We even took the exact same computer courses. Anyways, a few years ago, my computer was hacked, and I thought it was him who did it because he spoke the same way. Like my friend and the hacker, never used capitals or periods. They only used ",,,". I thought it was my friend. And I realized, that there's no way in hell he could have done it only because I didn't have him on MSN at the time, or Facebook or anything. And even if he did do it, he's not that smart enough to hide himself.

A couple weeks ago, he threatened my younger sister saying "2011 is going to be hell for you. And it's not me you have to worry about". And me and my dad were talking about it. He says "that's 2 times now we've had trouble with him." I was confused, he said "when your computer was hacked, and now this." And I explained to him why it couldn't have, and he raises his voice and goes "How do you know he didn't?!" I didn't say anything, but I thought "because I know him a lot better than you."

Another time is well, just now. He was talking about budget and how to keep track of it. And he was showing me a book that's way too confusing, that he made -_-. And he goes "this is the best way to keep track of your expenses." I said it's too confusing and that I'll just figure out my own way. He yells "why is it that you always have to argue with me?!"

Or how I'm not going to college here (I get free tuition) because I'll be moving to a different province, and he says "it'll help you figure out what you want to do in life." And I told him what I want to do, and he goes "no no no, I mean like a real job. I'll get you booklets and set you up an appointment with the councellor so you can get into trades, that's where the real money is." And I said again, that what I want to be is a graphic designer either for websites, games, or advertising. And he goes "YOU ALWAYS FUCKING ARGUE WITH ME! I'M TRYING TO CHOOSE THE BEST CHOICE FOR YOU!"

He also blames everybody but himself. If someone stops hanging out with him, it's their fault, not his...

lolno

You're the dick, dawg.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Son of Science said:
ShadowSoldier said:

lolno

You're the dick, dawg.

Yeah seriously dude, at least try and talk to your dad about this shit instead of just shouting "NO THANKS DAD I'LL DO SHIT MY OWN WAY, I DON'T NEED HELP FROM A WASHOUT LIKE YOU"

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Son of Science said:
lolno

You're the dick, dawg.
Oh hey it's you again, back to troll me some more?

QUOTE(Law @ Jan 12 2011, 03:19 PM) Yeah seriously dude, at least try and talk to your dad about this shit instead of just shouting "NO THANKS DAD I'LL DO SHIT MY OWN WAY, I DON'T NEED HELP FROM A WASHOUT LIKE YOU"
Umm.. what? I never say anything like that. I just say "Okay" or whatever along those lines. Nothing rude, just something to prevent arguing. Also, I've tried talking to him, hell my older sister and brother, and even my mom has. They all say the same thing, he's too thick headed. He all tells them "well nobody in this family listens to me. I know what's best for everybody" and crap like that.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Law said:
Yeah seriously dude, at least try and talk to your dad about this shit instead of just shouting "NO THANKS DAD I'LL DO SHIT MY OWN WAY, I DON'T NEED HELP FROM A WASHOUT LIKE YOU"
Umm.. what? I never say anything like that. I just say "Okay" or whatever along those lines. Nothing rude, just something to prevent arguing. Also, I've tried talking to him, hell my older sister and brother, and even my mom has. They all say the same thing, he's too thick headed. He all tells them "well nobody in this family listens to me. I know what's best for everybody" and crap like that.

That sounds like how my old man used to be, but then afterward he'd hand you a pocket knife and send you out back for a nice young and strong branch off a tree to whip your ass with. Oh, and it better not break on the first whip either or he'd go cut his own and then there'd be hell to pay.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
431unknown said:
That sounds like how my old man used to be, but then afterward he'd hand you a pocket knife and send you out back for a nice young and strong branch off a tree to whip your ass with. Oh, and it better not break on the first whip either or he'd go cut his own and then there'd be hell to pay.

See, I have no trouble accepting help or whatever. But to run my life exactly in his footsteps, that's not what I want. He's not the happiest person to be around with or anything. I don't want to end up like that, where lots of people are hating me because I always have to be right. I'll accept defeat and everything. But even when I'm right... actually, here's a prime example of how right he thinks he is:

Hockey. We watch the Vancouver Canucks, and the backup had a record of 7-0-2. And the third digit means he's lost twice, just not in regulation. So he's lost twice in overtime. I was surprised that the team was playing the backup because they've used him a lot lately, and my dad says "well he's never lost a game at all." And I POLITELY corrected him saying "he's lost twice in overtime or a shootout". And he automatically flips because I'm "arguing" with him. He says no and blah blah blah. So I just shut up and enjoy the game. And on the game, it shows his record, like it does a little fact thing about him. And it says "Cory Schneider Season record: 7-0-2". I didn't say a thing. And my dad says "That's wrong. He's never lost yet. They have to correct that."

But the biggest reason why I don't exactly like taking his advice of say me going to college here, is because for the last two years, because of my surgery, I had to rely on others. And now it's come to a point where, I want to do things on my own, and learn from my own mistakes. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I just want to actually experience success and defeat. But he gets mad all the time because I'm not following in his footsteps and becoming a tradesmen. And yes, I know there's lots of money in that field, but it doesn't interest me at all.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
431unknown said:

See, I have no trouble accepting help or whatever. But to run my life exactly in his footsteps, that's not what I want. He's not the happiest person to be around with or anything. I don't want to end up like that, where lots of people are hating me because I always have to be right. I'll accept defeat and everything. But even when I'm right... actually, here's a prime example of how right he thinks he is:

Hockey. We watch the Vancouver Canucks, and the backup had a record of 7-0-2. And the third digit means he's lost twice, just not in regulation. So he's lost twice in overtime. I was surprised that the team was playing the backup because they've used him a lot lately, and my dad says "well he's never lost a game at all." And I POLITELY corrected him saying "he's lost twice in overtime or a shootout". And he automatically flips because I'm "arguing" with him. He says no and blah blah blah. So I just shut up and enjoy the game. And on the game, it shows his record, like it does a little fact thing about him. And it says "Cory Schneider Season record: 7-0-2". I didn't say a thing. And my dad says "That's wrong. He's never lost yet. They have to correct that."

But the biggest reason why I don't exactly like taking his advice of say me going to college here, is because for the last two years, because of my surgery, I had to rely on others. And now it's come to a point where, I want to do things on my own, and learn from my own mistakes. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I just want to actually experience success and defeat. But he gets mad all the time because I'm not following in his footsteps and becoming a tradesmen. And yes, I know there's lots of money in that field, but it doesn't interest me at all.

Sounds like your father is old school in a sense. Is he like this with your siblings too? Or is it just you? My dad was like this with all of us until my sister was born and my mom finally grew so balls and set him some what straight. Sounds like your dad is just so thick headed and set in his was that no one can get through to him.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ritsuki said:
Are you serious ? Okay for the birthday thing (my dad did the same once, I said I didn't want to have a party, so he invited a lot of people for "my birthday". I ended watching TV with my mother), but if you didn't want, you could have made your own Bday party. Then I shall remind you that she is the one who gave birth to you. I think you can go shopping for groceries in exchange
biggrin.gif
. Maybe she's acting like you're still a kid, but we'll always be kids for our parents. Thoses things can be annoying, but you'll regret those when she'll be gone.
I'm not insulting my mum because of the party thing. She really did do a lot for me but she's so obsessive and thinks people will think bad of her for the smallest details like the colour of her nail polish. I have no problem going grocery shopping with her. I just don't see why she would never do it if I wasn't there. If me and my dad are busy, she won't do it. And trust me, she'd never let me or my dad do it alone, even with a list. I really tried once but she made me return a box of cereal because it had a hole in it (it wasn't even a hole, it was a dent, though she insisted it was a hole). Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything she does for me. I just think she's so insane and paranoid sometimes that I even joke about it with my friends. My friends can never take my parents seriously sometimes because some of the things she does are so paranoid that it's actually funny. The fact that I can laugh at all these little annoyances shows that I really appreciate my parents, so please, if it sounded like I was dissing my parents, it was not my intention.

D

Deleted-247497

I have always been really close to my mom, my dad I have never been close with, we got along terribly when I was young, I think he was pretty bad to me when I was very little but to tell you the truth I can't remember. Nowadays we get along alright mostly.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
431unknown said:
monkat said:
monkat said:
ITT: I expected angsty teens. Skimmed. Did not see.

Don't worry, I found 'em.

I'd like to hear this thread discussed on the next monkast.

To get anyone worth talking to about it, I would need parents xD! And I have no new guests at all lined up. (If anyone wants to be on the next monkast please send an email to [email protected])!

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
431unknown said:
monkat said:
monkat said:
ITT: I expected angsty teens. Skimmed. Did not see.

Don't worry, I found 'em.

I'd like to hear this thread discussed on the next monkast.

To get anyone worth talking to about it, I would need parents xD! And I have no new guests at all lined up. (If anyone wants to be on the next monkast please send an email to [email protected])!

Well I'm a parent! I'm going to have to make some time so I can participate.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Blaze163,

Something is wrong with you. Your parents are doing their jobs and they are doing their best they can for children. No wonder, you are not human at all! You need some help! Disappointment!

ineap09

Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
Basically, I deeply respect my dad, but I have very little respect for my mom.

Dad:
He's an excellent communicator, he deals with tough situations constantly, he has an excellent ability to use logic, and he's very fair when it comes to restrictions and punishments(usually). The only fault I see in him is the fact that he never has gone out of his way to be with me...like ever(except for the few times Mom forced him to do it). He's at work a lot, and when he is home I usually forget he's even there since he does his own thing. When we're together on road trips and such we have a pretty good time.

He used to have a real temper issue, but he completely changed after some counseling a couple years back.

Mom:
Horrible communicator, stubborn, overreact-er, has messed up logic, is an extreme procrastinator, and completely unfair when it comes to restrictions and punishments. She has a pretty extreme case of ADHD, but she's been a bit better since she started taking medicine for it. She is completely against pretty much all video games, and anything that has fantasy magic in it(LOTR,Zelda games, etc.). If it wasn't for my dad petitioning for logic, I probably wouldn't have any video games or anything like it.

The worst to me is her lack of logic, and also her lack of trust in her husband(my dad). They've been married for about 28 years now, and Dad has had to put up with Mom accusing him of all sorts of crap. He's never betrayed her trust all these years, yet she still is unrelenting in what she believes goes on in Dad's mind.

Recent example: We're at a church banquet at a church we've visited only a few times(not our home church). Dad gets the camera out and takes four pictures of the group to get them all in. Mom later blows up at him because she thinks he did that to hide the fact that he wanted to specifically get a picture of a specific lady that was in the last picture.
mellow.gif

It's been like that my entire life. He has had to put up with so much crap from her no matter what country we're living in at any given moment. I swear that if they both didn't hold on to their Christian values so dearly, they would've divorced a long time ago.

She doesn't smoke or drink alcohol or do drugs or anything like that. But it would be easier to respect that if it wasn't for the fact that she does it solely because she's deathly afraid of going against her Christian beliefs.

She thinks that she failed as a parent because both of her sons like things like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings...

Brother:
He's 10 years older than me. He's great! I love him! He's the most energetic positive guy you'll meet(kinda opposite of me, lol). He'll put 100% in everything he does, and he loves everybody. Seriously, if it wasn't for the fact we live so far apart recently, I'd say he's my favorite person in the world! He's awesome! His logic is simple at times, but it's always sound. And he's even more of a fan of Manga than me!
yay.gif

Sister:
She's 8 years older than me. She's also great!
happy.gif

She's like in-between my brother and I. She's neither an energetic fireball like my brother, nor is she a lazy sloth like me. She is the most efficient person I know. She's also an amazing artist. She loves little kids more than anything else in the world too(she was a teacher of 2 year-olds until she bore her first child and quit). Whenever I need advice on pretty much anything, she's the first person I go to. She's also really nice! She married a great guy, and he's taught me a lot in regards to computers.
happy.gif

Both Siblings:
Best part for both of them: They both love video games too!
yay.gif
My sister still kicks my butt at Donkey Country! xD

tl;dr: Dad is great; Mom has serious issues; Siblings are the best people who have walked on this planet.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
monkat Im a parent ;p

As a parent I can say that to those who do not have kids (yet) at this point alot of what you say is hilarious. Me for one am an hardass parent, have been so from the start. I dont give in etc.
When my kid gets older he will most likely hate me for it and rant like some of the people in here but when he's older again and has kids of his own he will understand the lessons I gave him

Its funny, 4 years ago I thought exactly like alot of you guys but I have certainly changed alot of my way of thinking since my T-man was born.

PS. Not meant as a flame but jsut an observation

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
GundamXXX said:
monkat Im a parent ;p

As a parent I can say that to those who do not have kids (yet) at this point alot of what you say is hilarious. Me for one am an hardass parent, have been so from the start. I dont give in etc.
When my kid gets older he will most likely hate me for it and rant like some of the people in here but when he's older again and has kids of his own he will understand the lessons I gave him

Its funny, 4 years ago I thought exactly like alot of you guys but I have certainly changed alot of my way of thinking since my T-man was born.

PS. Not meant as a flame but jsut an observation

GundamXXX, we should do a monkast parenting hour.
laugh.gif

I'm a hard ass parent too.
As I read these post in this thread I can honestly say yeah I thought my parents were assholes and I didn't want to be like them. You know what tho, while I might not grab a belt and whip my kids ass for stupid shit like my old man did I am just as bad as him in that I want my kid to respect his mother, me and others. I want my kid to be safe, I'll be a hypocrite here too. I'll do what ever it takes to ensure he stays safe, wether that means having to spying on him when he's older and keeping tabs on his real life exploits or hacking his online accounts to see if he's bad mouthing my.

Some of these post if they are truthful are about really bad parents, but then some are about good parents from kids that don't have the slightest clue about what the hell is even going on.

Being a parent is not for the faint of heart and is by far the hardest job anyone can take on in his or her lifetime.

Can any of you kids bitching in here honestly say you want your future children to grow up and sit around all day smoking pot, playing PS9 and Nintendo super ultra awesome systems and mooching off the rest of society while not contributing in any way,shape, or form to the betterment of it? Because in my honest opinion I'm sure most of your parents don't want that for you. They want to see you be something great and at the very least live a better life than they had.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM