Hacking Paranoid about killing my Wii U through power consumption

evantaylor1990

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have an HDD plugged into the back of the console to connect as well as into the front to draw power with a y cable. I also have the gamecube adapter plugged into the back of the console and the front for rumble. I read somewhere that having your HDD drawing power from the console along with other attachments can hurt the Wii U, but I don't know if I find this credible. Their argument was that everyone should be using an externally powered HDD.

Is there any truth to this claim? If I keep my console going like this will it decrease its lifespan or lead to any ill effects?

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have an HDD plugged into the back of the console to connect as well as into the front to draw power with a y cable. I also have the gamecube adapter plugged into the back of the console and the front for rumble. I read somewhere that having your HDD drawing power from the console along with other attachments can hurt the Wii U, but I don't know if I find this credible. Their argument was that everyone should be using an externally powered HDD.

Is there any truth to this claim? If I keep my console going like this will it decrease its lifespan or lead to any ill effects?
I use a 500 GB HDD with my Wii U and have never had an external power source. I just use a Y cable to the 2 back ports. My Wii U has been using that setup for almost 2 years now with no noticeable side effects, if any.

Joyer7319

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wouldn't worry. I have one HDD in the front ports for WiiU and on out back for vWiii GameCube/Wii/VC whatnot on ustealth. No issues after 2 or 3 years. Just play.

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
I doubt the GC adapter uses much energy anyways. I have used a hard drive plus the GC adapter ever since the adapter was out and never have much issue. The WiiU does have a really poor energy management (The Y cable thing, vWii turning off with some hard drives due to lack of energy, or overheating with two USB drives connected) but it's nothing that could have a lasting effect.

By the way, why would u have both the adapter and a hard drive connected in both the front and back USB ports? That sounds really untidy and unnecessary.

Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt the GC adapter uses much energy anyways. I have used a hard drive plus the GC adapter ever since the adapter was out and never have much issue. The WiiU does have a really poor energy management (The Y cable thing, vWii turning off with some hard drives due to lack of energy, or overheating with two USB drives connected) but it's nothing that could have a lasting effect.

By the way, why would u have both the adapter and a hard drive connected in both the front and back USB ports? That sounds really untidy and unnecessary.
Excatly the y cable can be plugged into the 2 usb ports at the back and the gamecube adapter into the two at the front. Doing it the way the op has it makes zero sense to me.

evantaylor1990

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was under the impression that to use the GameCube adapter with nintendont the main USB cable must be connected to the back of the console. Is that not the case?

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have my hdd with y cable plugged into the two usb's on the back with the gamecube adapter plugged into the front.
even if your concern made sense you'd be risking your hdd not your wii u.
if you're really worried about it power the hdd externally.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
My setup, and use two USB ports, with a self powered hub

Code:
Wii U HDD
    |
    /\
 __/__\___           ________
| USB hub |---------|   Wii U| front ports
|_________|     |---|________|
  |     |       |
  |  keyboard   GCN
  |  dongle    adapter
  |
WUPC
charger

Last edited by cucholix,
Reactions: bennyman123abc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.