Paranoid about killing my Wii U through power consumption

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by evantaylor1990, Feb 21, 2018.

1. evantaylor1990
    OP

evantaylor1990 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2018
    United States
    Okay, so I have an HDD plugged into the back of the console to connect as well as into the front to draw power with a y cable. I also have the gamecube adapter plugged into the back of the console and the front for rumble. I read somewhere that having your HDD drawing power from the console along with other attachments can hurt the Wii U, but I don't know if I find this credible. Their argument was that everyone should be using an externally powered HDD.

Is there any truth to this claim? If I keep my console going like this will it decrease its lifespan or lead to any ill effects?

2. bennyman123abc

bennyman123abc GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    United States
    Some City
    I use a 500 GB HDD with my Wii U and have never had an external power source. I just use a Y cable to the 2 back ports. My Wii U has been using that setup for almost 2 years now with no noticeable side effects, if any.

3. Joyer7319

Joyer7319 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2017
    United States
    New York
    I wouldn't worry. I have one HDD in the front ports for WiiU and on out back for vWiii GameCube/Wii/VC whatnot on ustealth. No issues after 2 or 3 years. Just play.

4. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Chile
    Somewhere
    I doubt the GC adapter uses much energy anyways. I have used a hard drive plus the GC adapter ever since the adapter was out and never have much issue. The WiiU does have a really poor energy management (The Y cable thing, vWii turning off with some hard drives due to lack of energy, or overheating with two USB drives connected) but it's nothing that could have a lasting effect.

By the way, why would u have both the adapter and a hard drive connected in both the front and back USB ports? That sounds really untidy and unnecessary.

AmandaRose likes this.
  5. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Excatly the y cable can be plugged into the 2 usb ports at the back and the gamecube adapter into the two at the front. Doing it the way the op has it makes zero sense to me.

6. evantaylor1990
    OP

evantaylor1990 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2018
    United States
    I was under the impression that to use the GameCube adapter with nintendont the main USB cable must be connected to the back of the console. Is that not the case?

7. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    i have my hdd with y cable plugged into the two usb's on the back with the gamecube adapter plugged into the front.
    even if your concern made sense you'd be risking your hdd not your wii u.
    if you're really worried about it power the hdd externally.

8. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    My setup, and use two USB ports, with a self powered hub

Code:
    Wii U HDD
        |
        /\
     __/__\___           ________
    | USB hub |---------|   Wii U| front ports
    |_________|     |---|________|