Paralyzed Rats Walk After Stem Cell Transplant

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Sep 16, 2012.

Sep 16, 2012
  1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Stem Cells have been a promising, if controversial, scientific focus in recent years. Despite the rabble rousing, they offer a tremendous amount of possibilities for the field of medicine. Solutions for illnesses and conditions once thought untreatable may lie in our grasp.

Want some proof? Well, look no further...

[​IMG] Technology Review

Now, if they could do this with crippled rats... imagine what they could do for humans?

Granted, we're not there yet by a longshot. Further testing is going to be needed (stem cell therapy isn't exactly basic stuff), and working through the paces to get FDA approval is no walk in the park. It's close, though; closer than it's ever been.

Appreciate the moment, folks; we're looking at the very future of medicine and it is glorious.

3 people like this.

2. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    Well that's an expensive procedure for some kid's pet

1 person likes this.
  3. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Just in case anybody hops on aborted fetal stem cells and says "I don't care what happens, this is wrong," viable stem cells can be derived from fatty tissue. As well, umbilical cords are full of stem cells. So those things we cut and toss at hospitals however many times every single day? A potential stem cell goldmine when the time comes that stem cells are widely accepted.

Gotta say, though, this is pretty amazing. Stem cell research has come astoundingly far in the past decade, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down in its progress.

8 people like this.
  4. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    I've always had faith in stem cell research, it's always amazing to hear its advancement and the future it can have for the poor souls who think they can never lead a normal life again.

5. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Guess I could spare to lose a few pounds.

3 people like this.
  6. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Does it say how long it took for recovery?

I wonder if we get to the point were they get the body to use stem cell as close to instant
    on it own.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Unable to think about the future as usual, I see?

It's being used on rats for testing. Testing to see if it works and if it's viable for use in general.

If you grow up and get in a car wreck, this "pet procedure" may allow you to walk again afterwards.

8. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    This is quite interesting news indeed. I love seeing the world of science progress our world into the future.

9. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    Actually, that time I was joking.

10. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    I approve greatly of the Dr. Strangelove reference.

4 people like this.
  11. DaggerV

Member DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

United States
    Yeah, I was pushing to use myself as a human test subject to maybe hear again but it got shot down :( I love advances though.

12. Gahars
    OP

United States
    Well, give the researchers some time. In a few years, you might just be a patient, not a test subject.

13. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    The only form of stem cell research that has been "controversial" is the use of fetal stem cells which has been discredited and abandon by scientists in favor of the much more promising adult stem cells. What kind of stem cells were used in this research. Adult grown from skin cells world be my guess

14. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Adult stem cells cannot do everything embryonic stem cells can do. The use of fetal stem cells has neither been discredited nor abandoned by scientists, nor are adult stem cells "more promising." None of this is to say that somatic stem cell research isn't awesome too.

15. Gahars
    OP

United States
    Unfortunately, some people don't care about the distinction and get riled up whenever the idea of "stem cells" is brought up.

1 person likes this.
  16. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    People have been receiving successful stem cell surgeries for some time now.A few months ago in Sweden a girl got a stem cell grown vein, and a few months before that a guy got a stem cell grown trachea.

17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Now I hate to be the enthusiastic amateur trying to poke holes in blue sky research I barely understand but is there not quite a difference between traumatic injury (which is to say most non surgical injuries) and precise surgical cut with much of the actual issues with paralysis being the body itself trying to repair something thus blocking much of the future repair efforts (to create a terrible analogy like a bone failing to be set properly and having to be rebroken before healing).

Re: Fatty cells. Got a link to the research as I would not mind reading up on that.

Anyway definitely go science, whoo stem cell research and all that.

18. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    When it comes to stem cells, it doesn't matter how complex the damage is, as the cells can become anything. Since we're on a cellular level, repairing with cells that can insert where ever they may be needed, comparing it to the idea of setting a broken bone doesn't really work. The only way to truly screw up with stem cells is to insert them after they've already been designated to be a certain type of cell, as wherever you insert said cells, whatever they've been designated to be will begin growing in that location. That's why its vital that you have unspecified stem cells. Thankfully, they've gotten really good at retrieving blank-slate stem cells, so to speak.

For an article about stem cells from fat: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110503133040.htm
    To learn about stem cells in general: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_cell

19. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    Stem cells have potential, let's hope for the best.

20. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    It's joyful to hear news like this, but at the same time one must wonder that if illnesses get cured, how would the medical field make revenue...?