Gaming paper mario origami king gives me hope that this will be "perfect combination" of TTYD and COLOR.

Whats your favorite paper mario game?

• Mario story

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Paper mario: TTYD

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • SUPER paper mario

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Paper Mario: Sticker TRASH

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Paper Mario: Color MEH

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Lol why im here if i never played this game, in fact, i dont know anything about this.

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

ummm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Paper Mario, the saga that went to this:
upload_2020-6-28_20-5-22.jpeg

to this:
upload_2020-6-28_20-5-41.jpeg
upload_2020-6-28_20-6-50.jpeg
upload_2020-6-28_20-7-38.jpeg

Still, this new entry in the saga gives me hope, maybe a slowly return to the classic paper mario style,
Also nintendo, WHERES MY SUPER PAPER MARIO 2, THAT MY FAVORITE PAPER MARIO GAME, YOU MAKE A GAME ABOUT STICKERS BUT DONT MAKE A SEQUEL TO SUPER PAPER???!?!?!??!?!

the new game seems good but im like this:
upload_2020-6-28_20-11-29.jpeg

(sorry if the meme is in spanish, many paper mario memes are in spanish like this:)
upload_2020-6-28_20-13-1.jpeg

anyways what are your thoughts on this new game.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
UM NO not even close. timed battles and a shitty gimmicky ring system WILL NOT make this better than TTYD! also it's basically shitker star all over again selecting limited moves to use to fight also you don't even need to fight battles you can just avoid them you don't even level up! they are going to royally fuck this one up yet again mark my words.

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've only played ~6 hours of Thousand Year Door so far (Dolphin VR, it's awesome. Like playing with a diorama). Will be putting more time into it eventually. It really reminded me of the SNES Mario RPG, which I loved.

I really like the battle system in those 2 games. The 'right timing' aspect was really fun and added a bit more interaction during battles.

That said, I think the ring battles might be fun. It's just another layer of interaction during a battle. Won't know if it's good until it releases but from what I saw it looks like a fun bit of puzzle during the fight. I believe it's fine for Nin to mess around with the battle formula, otherwise it would just feel like the same game over and over.

Either way, it's a more interesting system than most other RPG battle systems. ChronoTrigger was one of the only other RPG's that had me enjoying fights.

ummm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
UM NO not even close. timed battles and a shitty gimmicky ring system WILL NOT make this better than TTYD! also it's basically shitker star all over again selecting limited moves to use to fight also you don't even need to fight battles you can just avoid them you don't even level up! they are going to royally fuck this one up yet again mark my words.

i dont mean that this game will be better than thousands of doors, that is a masterpiece, is ART!!!!1111!!!!

but what i mean is that this will be maybe a little bit better than color/sticker, only we will see the results on july 17, and then we will critic this game.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paper Mario, the saga that went to this:
View attachment 215342

to this:
View attachment 215343View attachment 215344View attachment 215345

Still, this new entry in the saga gives me hope, maybe a slowly return to the classic paper mario style,
Also nintendo, WHERES MY SUPER PAPER MARIO 2, THAT MY FAVORITE PAPER MARIO GAME, YOU MAKE A GAME ABOUT STICKERS BUT DONT MAKE A SEQUEL TO SUPER PAPER???!?!?!??!?!

the new game seems good but im like this:
View attachment 215346

(sorry if the meme is in spanish, many paper mario memes are in spanish like this:)
View attachment 215347

anyways what are your thoughts on this new game.
I feel 1 small problem with the modern games that people really don't mention is how all numbers have just gotten larger such as health, damage, etc making strategizing harder

Reactions: Lazlo52

ummm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
also, my favorite paper game is super but i love ttyd too, i just hope nintendo dont fuck again paper mario because alphadream
is closed meaning that paper is our only mario rpg saga and if nintendo fuck this maybe will be the end of mario rpgs.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I feel 1 small problem with the modern games that people really don't mention is how all numbers have just gotten larger such as health, damage, etc making strategizing harder

well for me when i played story and ttyd, i fell that the small numbers are a problem, (maybe because im a baby and i played games that doesnt have a great difficulty) but 64 and ttyd are quite difficult for me, i dont mean that the games are very hard, but the game sometimes in some parts need to be played more that 2/3 hours and i dont have much time (well now i have time because of the FUCKING GOD DAM CORONAVIRUS) i know that paper mario is a strategy game but that makes time go so fast that when you finished a chapter, you realize that you have been playing for 4/5 hours.

also i played sticker trash and color meh and theres no strategy because you cant even know how damage you do to the enemys,
just use some cards and BAM, you EASILY kill the enemy in 2/3 seconds, which is just useless as it wastes time.

i think this new game really needs A BALANCE DIFFICULTY, while the first 2 game the time just go fast and you cant enjoy more for today, the other 2 games, the time is wortheless.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the game has now officially been confirmed to have timed battles. this is from Aoyama himself

When combat begins, players have a set number of turns in the planning phase to optimize their positioning. The goal is to line enemies up in groups so that Mario can take them out efficiently. His stomp attack hits enemies lined up in a row, and his hammer deals more concentrated damage to groups of enemies that are standing side-by-side and one row deep. It’s almost like a puzzle, with each combat scenario having an optimal solution. You can spend coins to purchase more time to think if you’re running low on time, or your Toad friends can give you hints – provided you pay them. Even if you blow it on your first attempt, you can still rearrange the stragglers once both you and the enemies have taken turns.

yeah fuck off nintendo NO BUY :shit::shit::shit:

TheCasualties

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the game has now officially been confirmed to have timed battles. this is from Aoyama himself

That's just about the puzzle part (moving the enemies on the rings). I doubt you could lose by taking too long to defeat an enemy. It just wants you to think quick while trying to get the optimal enemy positioning. If you can't get it perfect, you just don't do quite as much damage or finish the battle as quickly. No big deal.

Of course some people won't like it either way, but it makes sense to me and sounds kind of fun. Like a puzzle mini-game that rewards you by dealing more damage. Seems similar to pressing the button at the right time during an attack, but more complicated.

I'm more disappointed about not leveling up, but maybe they've found a better way.. I'm sure we will both still 'try' the game when it comes out, then we can decide if these were bad choices.

Last edited by TheCasualties,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I doubt you could lose by taking too long to defeat an enemy.
actually you can. it says you have a certain amount of time to fuck around with the rings and if you run out of time you get attacked either way.

even the boss battles use it and it's even worse.

It all starts in a familiar way, with an invitation from Princess Peach. Toad Town is hosting a special origami festival, and Mario and Luigi are among the requested guests. Say no more! The brothers head out to the event, only to find that the ordinarily thriving town is virtually abandoned. Worse, Peach has been transformed: Her body has been reconfigured into an origami form, and her normally friendly personality replaced with a detached automaton.

Peach is among the latest victims of King Olly, the diabolical ruler of the Origami Kingdom. After she drops Mario into a dungeon, Olly wraps Peach’s castle in five massive streamers and places it atop a far-away mountain. Fortunately, all is not lost. Mario meets Olivia, one of the few origami creations who isn’t his enemy. Together, Mario and Olivia need to figure out how to unravel this plot and restore Toad Town and the rest of the land to its normal, flattened format – even helping a partially origami’d Bowser along the way.

That’s the elevator pitch for Paper Mario: The Origami King, the latest entry in Nintendo’s RPG series. It may be hard to believe, but Paper Mario is celebrating its 20th birthday this year. Over the course of that journey, players have become comfortable with a “Mario, but flat” conceit that, if you step back, is about as weird as it gets. The tone is often as strange as the paper-thin setup, too, with plenty of humor and silliness scattered throughout. The Origami King is building on the past, but is also taking the series in some new directions, including an interesting ring-battle system and the introduction of open-world levels you can traverse seamlessly.

Ring Fight Adventure
“When continuing a game series, it’s much easier to carry over the basics from an existing game system rather than building new systems for each new installment,” says Kensuke Tanabe, producer at Nintendo. “But that’s not how you create new experiences or unexpected surprises. As a game designer, I want to deliver new experiences and surprises to our fans, so I always challenge myself to create something new. To be sure, I will sometimes use the same system in a subsequent game to further develop that system until I feel it has reached its full potential. But my goal is to continue to tackle new challenges as much as possible.”

This is a subject Tanabe knows a thing or two about. He worked on Super Mario RPG back in the Super Nintendo days, and has been involved with every game in the Paper Mario series since Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door released on GameCube in 2004. For the most part, combat has been consistent over the years, with turn-based battles that incorporate a little bit of timing. If you manage to hit your attack at the right moment, your attack will squeeze out some extra damage. It’s fun, but Tanabe and the developers at Intelligent Systems wanted to push themselves further with this entry.

“Mr. Naohiko Aoyama, who is a member of the staff at Intelligent Systems and the director of the previous entry in the series, Paper Mario: Color Splash, asked for a battle system in which the enemies surround Mario to attack from all sides,” Tanabe says. “That became our starting point when thinking about how the battles would work.”

The designers thought about how best to reflect this feeling of being surrounded, and came up with an unusual take on a battle grid. Rather than setting the action on a traditional checkerboard, they arrived at something similar to the concentric rings and segments of a dartboard. Then players could rotate each of the concentric circles to line up attacks. But something was missing.

“We kept thinking about what to do, until one day an idea suddenly popped into my head while I was in the shower,” Tanabe says. “The idea was based on a Rubik’s Cube. It inspired me to add vertical rotations to the horizontal rotations, so we got the slide mechanic added to the program, and it worked well. That is the moment I was convinced we’d be able to build our battle system.”

When combat begins, players have a set number of turns in the planning phase to optimize their positioning. The goal is to line enemies up in groups so that Mario can take them out efficiently. His stomp attack hits enemies lined up in a row, and his hammer deals more concentrated damage to groups of enemies that are standing side-by-side and one row deep. It’s almost like a puzzle, with each combat scenario having an optimal solution. You can spend coins to purchase more time to think if you’re running low on time, or your Toad friends can give you hints – provided you pay them. Even if you blow it on your first attempt, you can still rearrange the stragglers once both you and the enemies have taken turns.

Each of the five streamers encasing Peach’s castle is guarded by a member of the Legion of Stationary, which are realistic depictions of familiar art supplies such as colored pencils, rubber bands, and tape. Tanabe says the team initially wanted to use the same basic battle system in these boss encounters, but they ran into a problem: Since you fight these bosses one at a time, you didn’t have anything to line up.

“It occurred to us that one way to avoid introducing a different system would be for the boss battles to be the opposite of regular battles, with the boss in the center and Mario creating a route to the boss from the outside,” Tanabe says. “I drew concentric circles on a whiteboard, put mock-ups of some panels using magnets with arrows and other things drawn on them so Ms. Risa Tabata [the assistant producer] and I could simulate how a battle would play out multiple times. We felt that we had gotten something pretty good out of that process, so I proposed it to Intelligent Systems.”

A New Crease On Life
These bosses aren’t just waiting in one location for Mario to find them. Instead, they’re scattered around the world. That creates a striking visual, as players can see the streamers far in the distance, while also giving them a hint as to where their next challenge lies. One of the biggest departures with The Origami King is that the story isn’t chapter-focused as past games have been. Instead, players can travel from region to region seamlessly in an open-world setup.
“One major feature that makes the world where this adventure takes place special is that there are huge maps to explore at every turn,” says Masahiko Magaya, director at Intelligent Systems. “Because the game is laid out this way, we were careful during the design phase to make sure there is always something in the player’s field of vision to catch their attention.”

Players can watch the scenery unfold through several modes of traversal. Mario can run around, but crossing major distances might get tiring. Fortunately for his feet, he can drive a boot-shaped car around (a nod to Super Mario Bros. 3’s shoe power-up?) and pilot a boat. I also saw him aboard an airship, where he takes command of the ship’s defenses to fire rockets at incoming paper planes.

That variety extends throughout the game. Players can expect to encounter lots of one-off activities and miscellaneous diversions. During his travels, Mario encounters a host of Toads who have been folded into different origami forms. Hitting them with his hammer reverts them back to their normal form, then several things can happen. They might return to Toad Town, restoring valuable services to the location, like selling items or opening the dock. The Toads may also join Mario in battle, watching from the sidelines and helping when asked (and paid). You can also go fishing, if you’re looking for some downtime.

Mario doesn’t do any of this alone. Olivia is a constant companion throughout the adventure, and other characters join and leave along the way. The shuffling cast is a function of the story, so players aren’t deciding which allies to bring along.

“We never considered whether or not we should implement a party-based system like some other games,” Tanabe says. “As we worked on Paper Mario: The Origami King, we decided we could create more memorable moments if Olivia and the other characters team up with Mario along the way. In other words, we first determine what elements are needed in a game and then figure out how to implement and program them. Bobby, the Bob-omb, was the first character we decided to include, and from there we chose the characters that would be the best fit for the events in each stage of the game. Bowser Jr. was an exception. The director, Mr. Masahiko Nagaya, personally had strong feelings about including a storyline where a son sets out to save his father, so in this case, we decided to include the character before deciding exactly what we would have him do.”

With an interesting combat system and a larger world to explore, Paper Mario: The Origami King looks like a nice evolution for the series. There are certainly some elements that are foundational to Paper Mario, but it’s great to see that Nintendo and Intelligent Systems are willing and able to color outside of the lines.

Paper Mario: The Origami King comes to the Nintendo Switch on July 17.

so to recap
  • timed battles
  • you don't gain exp making battles even pointless
  • you only get certain moves to use in battles (shitker star all over again)
they had one job just make it like TTYD and they failed...MISERABLY!! this will be the worse PM YET

Rafciu

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I wonder why Nintendo won't get back to original formula from N64 version and GC. Most of the population want to see proper peper mario with gameplay style from TTYD. Same situation was with Mario Party... but at least we've got Super Mario Party which is not 10/10 but Nintendo headed in right direction.

ummm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Lol, SPM is the most voted in the favorite paper mario poll, looks like the super paper mario cursed is over...... maybe until more people sees this thread

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i am recently playing again all the paper mario games and when Origami king comes out i will play it and i will created another
thread raking all paper mario games.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally don't have much interest in playing it, but that's because none of the new games have captured me that much, and what I've seen of the gameplay of this one really hasn't either.

But really, considering this sort of gameplay style has been around for three games now, more than any of the other styles this series has had, it's safe to say this is what Paper Mario is now, like it or not. I don't think they intend to go back to the styles of the N64/GameCube entries, nor Super Paper Mario.
But for the right kind of person, perhaps someone who isn't stuck in the past, I'm sure these games could certainly be a fun time in their own respects, without comparing them so heavily to the first three entries.

Just not my thing, anyways.

Reactions: TheCasualties

TheCasualties

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
10 minutes in and you're forced to use motion controls.
You can turn them off and just use joystick and buttons instead. Go into settings and change motion controls to off..

I don't mind the ring battle system yet. Only done a few fights so far though. Just wanted to say motion controls are NOT forced.

Reactions: velgis

DonCaballero

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm not really qualified to say this but from the perspective of someone who's never played a Paper Mario game, I enjoy this quite a lot.

Great stuff! This may sound like sacrilege, but I enjoyed Sticker Star and Color Splash. Those games had some obvious flaws, but they also got treated a bit unfairly. I really hope Origami King delivers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod