Paper Mario N64

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by dsbomb, Jul 17, 2007.

Jul 17, 2007

Paper Mario N64 by dsbomb at 2:39 AM (2,382 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. dsbomb
    OP

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [​IMG] It's finally made it on the VC. I missed it on the N64, I think I had given up playing it by the time this game came out. Now to get work on it.

2. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    Has been out on European VC since Friday. But yeah, I agree, awesome game, more than worth the 1000 points.

3. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I missed it on the N64 too, so I just bought it for cheap afterwards and even got a nice cartridge which actually makes me feel like I *own* the game...

I just don't get the whole VC thing, especially if people start paying for games they already own...
    they're just ROMS after all, and they're highly overpriced...it's always a better choice to either get the original cartridge or play the ROMS for free...by buying VC games, you're only supporting this rip-off (unlike buying new games, which supports the making of high-budget games [​IMG] )

4. dsbomb
    OP

United States
    It's your choice. I don't mind the price for those very few games I really want to play from long ago. It saves me from having to dig out the N64, have another set of wires dangling from my Tv, etc.

5. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Paper Mario is one of those Hard-To-Emulate games that never plays quite right. This will be the first Virtual Console purchase I'll make in a long time. And $10 for an N64 game isn't farfetched at all.

6. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    Same here. I never played it on the N64 cause I never bought it, tried playing it on emulator but graphical glitches got annoying. Good to see this title on the VC. [​IMG]

7. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    We were talking about this in #gbatemp.net earlier.

Some N64 games don't work too well on emulators, Paper Mario is one of them from what I recall.
    I too still have my N64 and about 20 games. But all of my controllers are borked (mainly the sticks), even 3 Nintendo-brand controllers.
    And I really don't feel like trying to fit my N64 into the mess that is my entertainment center where I currently already have my TV, satellite receiver, dvd player, ps2, wii, input switch, various controllers, dvds, games, and soon xbox 360, all crammed into a small space.

Also supporting the older games lets Nintendo (and others) know that we loved these games and want more great quality games. Not just great looking games.

8. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    i really what to download paper mario.
    i have 4000+ points, but only a few hundred blocks of memory left! i don't like the idea of copying off the SD card everytime either because it takes forever to transfer N64 games
    e3 was nintendo's chance to announce the wii usb HD 8GB, and we all would have paid $99.99 for it happily [​IMG]

9. CYatta

Member CYatta GBAtemp Fan

United States
    8GB USB DRIVE? FOR $100? That's OUTRAGEOUS. They sell external drives from 80-160gb on newegg for as low as 60. I'm not sure about "happily." More like...questionably [​IMG]

Also, Vater Unser, I think your logic is kind of flawed. Depends on how you look at it..If you bought Paper Mario used, you're not supporting Nintendo. You're supporting the store you buy it from. Where as, if you buy it from VC, you ARE supporting Nintendo. It may be a re-hash, but it gives them more money to play with and make us some cool stuff. Better than supporting places like, EB.

And like it was said..some games, are just worth re buying. I was hesitant about getting SM64, but once I did, i couldn't stop playing it again. I think whatever they put that game on, I'll buy it again, just to have another reason to complete it.

10. dsbomb
    OP

United States
    The first time I played Paper Mario, it displayed a message like, "This game requires the Classic Controller," for quite a long time. It seems to work ok with my Gamecube controller though. It seemed odd that they put that message in when buying it, it said it uses either controller.

11. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    Yeah, it's an odd message, and I agree it seems to stay up for quite a long time, making you think that you've done something wrong by plugging in a GameCube controller. I guess the delay is while the game is loading.

12. dsbomb
    OP

United States
    Heh, I don't have a classic controller. I was afraid I'd have to go to 2 or 3 WalMarts at midnight to find one just to be able to play my freshly downloaded game. [​IMG]

13. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    It sais that "Classic controller required" thing for every game that doesn't support Wiimote only, for some reason.

14. NiGHtS

Member NiGHtS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    When I saw that messege I was like: Aww...feck...but thankfully ye ole' cube controller does a good job, great game btw.

15. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    ^^ Yes, that message is really odd, but since Nintendo wants to sell Classic Controllers I can see why they didn't put the GCN controller into it.

Back on topic:
    As I already missed it on N64 it's quite tempting to get it on VC.

That's exactly what I like about VC. It's just too much of a hassle to connect all my old console to my TV if I want to play a game for like 10 minutes (or even longer).

16. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    outrageous, maybe, but i think most of us wii owners would've jumped at a wii HD. when it is announced, i wouldn't expect anything more than 10GB, considering nintendo only put 512mb of flash in the wii, and the usb drive will likely be very compact, much like a USB flash key, not an actual 3.5/2.5" HDD

anyway, i DID buy paper mario later last night [​IMG]

17. LordWill072284

Member LordWill072284 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    same, never even knew it exsisted, great game added to the vc titles, gonna be popular i bet.

18. babelfish

Newcomer babelfish Member

United States
    Is anybody else getting really pixelated in-game text? Everything else looks good (well, N64 good [​IMG]), but the text just looks horrid.

19. dsbomb
    OP

United States
    Yeah, they touched up the graphics on some N64 ports, but apparently not this one.

20. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    [​IMG]
    did you at least know that games like Super Mario 64 or Zelda: Ocarina of Time existed? [​IMG]