Gaming Paper Mario: Color Splash

Fawfulthegreat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thread on this game I found was a few pages back, and I don't know if there are rules on bumping old threads, so yeah.

Paper_Mario-_Color_Splash_Logo.PNG
This is a thing that happened. What are your opinions? Personally I think my opinion on the final product will hinge on two things: Story and original characters. If it has a good story and a good amount of new characters, I will like it. If not, it gets to join Sticker Star and Paper Jam at the bottom of my list of Mario RPGs. I'm of the unpopular opinion that Super Paper Mario was amazing despite being a bit different. Sticker Star could have been the handheld Paper Mario I always dreamed of, but it chose to be an awful abomination instead. Paper Jam could have been my dream crossover, but instead they only used assets from Sticker Star and no original characters.

Needless to say I'm pretty bummed at the current state of Paper Mario (and potentially Mario & Luigi if Paper Jam is anything to go by). I loved the first 3 PM games and the first 4 M&L games, but Sticker Star and Paper Jam were awful and mediocre, respectively. So does this community have any hope for Color Splash?

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People disliked Super Paper Mario for how it wasn't Thousand Year Door from what I see. I get the change in battle system wasn't well received by the hardcore fanbase, but what made SPM such a fantastic game was its incredible cast of characters. Dimentio may be the most interesting villain I've seen to date, and the story kept the game interesting.

So yeah, I agree with you. If Colour Splash puts forward the same strengths as its Wii predecessor, it might be fantastic - despite the battle system not being what the TTYD fanbase want.

Reactions: LuxerWap and Ricken
S

Saiyan Lusitano

It's just a lazy rehash of Paper Mario. Nintendo would do themselves a favour by not using that "Seal of Quality" label they use.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

[^Blark^]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
world 1-1 paint the world "green"

world 1-2 paint the world "red"

wait hold up.

1-1 .... 1-2. .... no open world but levels..... what the hell.

ever since sticker star mario rpg titles have sucked. I haven't fully enjoyed one since thousand year door. super paper mario was an "okay" game in my opinion I guess but still it changed the style to a platformer adventure rather than strategy turnbased rpg. and then I got sticker star .... that game was meant for 5-8yr olds and the levels idea was stupid 1-1...1-2.... until nintendo brings back open world exploration type gameplay with characters and badges to equip and actual rpg elements that reunite some thinking/strategy and PARTNERS that level up skills /move set etc. then I refuse to buy another mario rpg game.

this is what I'd really like to see...:
http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Paper_Mario:_Countdown_to_Chaos

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm reserving judgement until I see the game. It seems Nintendo has accepted that people don't want stupified games and may be working towards better open worlds now. The trailers are slightly concerning, but it seems to me they could just be showing part of the power ups and not the main fight mechanics.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I had fun with Sticker Star, I'll admit, but not nearly as much fun as I had with The Thousand Year Door. Sticker Star didn't even have any exp. or leveling system to incentivize you to actually fight enemies. I felt like I could just blow right on by them and not miss out on anything.

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I kinda want to give this game a chance. Even if I'm 99,9% sure that I'm gonna be sooo disappointed with it. Sticker Star was ok as a handheld title IMO, but I really don't want something as short lived as a full on home console title. Maybe if I trys to be open minded about it and making myself clear that this title does not follow the same line as the original paper mario as well as ttyd, I might even enjoy Color Splash a slight bit. The thing is - do I really want to be open minded about this title? After all I wasn't very fond of stickers and the entire battle system revolving around them in the first place. I just love badge system of the first two paper mario games too much. Have been really missing that in sticker star. As well as cooking weired meals involving every single edible (and sometimes not so edible) items I could find in the mushroom kingdom. And yes, of course the story was MUCH better in the early days as well. But it seems that nintendo wants to cater to an audience that does not have much time on their hands for playing games anymore. Thus creating simpler, short lived titles most of the time.

Small Kat

PC addict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh... how do i begin...

The battle system, it limits you to the amount of cards you have, the world exploration is ALSO limited such as not exploring the paths to get to such place, and the characters are just a buch of "copy and paste" personalities.

64 and TTYD have everything way better than this sh*t.

And SPM, the story was awsome and the gameplay was decent, not as horrible as sticker star and this soon-to-be monster.

(The ONLY good thing about color splash, is the graphics. But, anything else is just bad...)

Last edited by Small Kat,

TamDanny

GBATemp 3DS Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm not one to go all critic on a game until I see the game more in-depth. Yeah, I know, we have the general idea of what it's going to be and the potential possibility of being similar to Sticker Star. Believe me, I would be pretty freaking happy to see something like TTYD, but I don't want to count this game out, at least not yet.
The game looks gorgeous and it has potential (yes, even with this battle card system. I can see it being sorta fun in a strategic kind of way). Maybe it won't satisfy the TTYD audience, but if it gives me a fun experience with the story, its dialogue, & its gameplay, then I'd be happy to play it. I have a weird feeling that somebody's gonna be hating on me right around now.

Last edited by TamDanny,

n00b2015

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I didn't play 64 and TTYD
i played SPM and at that time it was mind blowing to me when you switched from 2d to 3d. oh what memories

i played sticker star and mario and luigi on 3ds but both sucked.

i would like SPM 2 rather than sticker star kinda game.

Last edited by n00b2015,

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
This is random but let me tell you... Paper Mario didn't fuck up nearly as hard as Mario Party.
I have to disagree, I actually enjoy the new formula and how things are more fair to every player, players who are completely new to even videogames have a fair chance to win, while keeping those skilled with Minigames still at an advantage, and unlike Paper Mario, you have a series that reused the same formula in 9 games wih minor changes, if people miss the old formula just pick any of the first 9 games (Plus the Wii Party series which retain the old formula feeling), for Paper Mario you only have two.

DarkenedMatter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you felt Mario Party needed to be easier or more fair then I'm not sure you should have been playing Mario Party... Paper Mario on the other hand there is like 4 of them and the games went more childish imo as they progressed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit