Hacking Panasonic Formatter, Why?

TheThreemagi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just a curious question I have after reading a lot of threads about people having problems with say the DStwo. People will often say format the SD card and emphasize using the Panasonic Formatter. I'm just curious as to what makes that particular formatter better than any other method of formatting. I've always used formatter that comes with Windows and have never had an issue with the DStwo. So in short, why the Panasonic Formatter?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If I remember correctly, the Windows Formatter doesn't partion the card right and some Flashcards like Acekard 2i and M3 often have problems with the partioning.
Panasonic Formatter partions correctly, so it's just the staple for flashcards.

EvangelionEX

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
A Gay Little Catboy said:
If I remember correctly, the Windows Formatter doesn't partion the card right and some Flashcards like Acekard 2i and M3 often have problems with the partioning.

Oh well, I got ninja'd XD

TheThreemagi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well that was simple. Thanks, I had just gotten curious over often seeing it recommended, occasionally vehemently. =)

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
zizer said:
i have m3izero,dstwo,r4 revolution and never used panasonic formatter
As I said, some flashcards have been reported to have problems with Windows in the past, it doesn't mean all cards, just some. So it became a staple to recommend panasonic formatter.

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zizer said:
As I said, some flashcards have been reported to have problems with Windows in the past, it doesn't mean all cards, just some. So it became a staple to recommend panasonic formatter.

what's about acronis? Is it better than panasonic formatter?

drewmerc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Panasonic formatter is the industry standard (you cant improve on a standard as it would no longer be standard)

acronis may do it just as well but it's not standard plus how big is acronis
the panasonic zip is 275kb which is very small (this i see as a plus)

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
zizer said:
zizer said:

what's about acronis? Is it better than panasonic formatter?
I have never used acronis, so I have no idea, but it appears drewmerc knows the answer.

TheThreemagi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think anyone is saying Acronis is not a good program. But Arconis is a larger software suite and cost money, so I can see why people would still recommend Panasonic over it. I say if you have Acronis though, use it. Also what I gather, if you're not having any issues with your flashcart there is no reason to change how you format it.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's probably nothing wrong with using Acronis.
But if you do start having problems, this will be the first thing that we recommend you to change.
Simply because the Panasonic formatting tool is tested and proven to work well.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country

Windows can't partition flash drives (such as USB thumb drives and SD cards) at all. Ok, so there is a way but you have to install a filter driver to make Windows think the SD card is a removable hard drive. You do not want to know how many "dead" SD cards I was able to resurrect by using Linux's fdisk (even the Panasonic formatter won't help you in that case as it still needs a drive letter, which won't exist without a proper partition table).

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
nl255 said:

Windows can't partition flash drives (such as USB thumb drives and SD cards) at all. Ok, so there is a way but you have to install a filter driver to make Windows think the SD card is a removable hard drive. You do not want to know how many "dead" SD cards I was able to resurrect by using Linux's fdisk (even the Panasonic formatter won't help you in that case as it still needs a drive letter, which won't exist without a proper partition table).
I know what you mean. I had two 4Gigs I got working again with Gpart myself.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
There's probably nothing wrong with using Acronis.
But if you do start having problems, this will be the first thing that we recommend you to change.
Simply because the Panasonic formatting tool is tested and proven to work well.

If you're not having problems, great, please continue. I don't think I've ever bought an SD that wasn't already formatted in something Windows friendly (eg FAT) and I have often done nothing but start using them as they came and w/o problems and they always work initially.

But, the thing is the SD's didn't really come set up for optimal performance and certain games and flash carts are more sensitive to that, especially if your SD is slow. You may find later that there is a game that you cannot use w/ clean mode on your SD that a simple format w/ Panasonic's formatter will or would have fixed. The program is tiny, fixes problems and eliminates a step in trouble shooting. Seriously, why not just start off w/ it? Your other option is to find out later that you need it and have to go through backing up your SD, using it anyway and reloading all that crap on to the SD...

Not to suggest that this is all that difficult, but the first time you do it, it will probably be the last time you don't use that formatter on your SD's first thing when you get a new one.

QUOTE(nl255 @ Jan 13 2011, 12:29 PM) Windows can't partition flash drives (such as USB thumb drives and SD cards) at all. Ok, so there is a way but you have to install a filter driver to make Windows think the SD card is a removable hard drive. You do not want to know how many "dead" SD cards I was able to resurrect by using Linux's fdisk (even the Panasonic formatter won't help you in that case as it still needs a drive letter, which won't exist without a proper partition table).

And just a simple format in my PSP (w/ an adapter obviously) has resurrected many of mine. Windows formatter is too "intelligent" for it's own good. It's nice to have systems that let you do what you want to things w/o trying to protect you from yourself. I've used my Amiga to salvage, resurrect and alter Windows box drives for the very same reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte