Palestinian statehood vote passes overwhelmingly at UN

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/middle-east-live/2012/nov/29/egypt-crisis-morsi-constitution-live

Fuck Harper, just fuck him. Always acting as America's bitch making Canada look bad.

But congrats to the Palestinian people. Took long enough.

2. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Sorry for being a bit lost. What is US problem of letting them become a state?

Celice likes this.
  3. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    I miss Chretien.

4. DaggerV

Member DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

United States
    Because Jews have much to lose in this, and the US is tied in their pockets.

Take of that what you will, but it's hard to deny.

Rizsparky likes this.
  5. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    something tells me the UN would recognize satan if he made a state too

hi54321 likes this.
  6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Actual people that do political science on a daily basis are lost as to the whole picture for the USA's problem with Palestine becoming a state so I would not sweat it too much KingVamp.

The superficial analysis would say as a staunch ally of Israel the US has a kind of mutual thing to back Israel which is against various types of Palestinian statehood for various reasons (lots of history, lots of politics and lots of other things many of which might actually have some merit). However that is too superficial an analysis for me to stand behind and there are all sorts of treaties and laws formed off them that complicate it further (see also things like US withdrawing funding from various groups that would back or recognise various types of statehood- http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-wants-restore-us-funding-unesco-after-it-admitted-palestine ).

Back on topic as it were I am not sure of the ramifications as far as international law, interesting times though.

TrolleyDave and Wizerzak like this.
  7. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    That's a pretty stupid statement even for you.

Anyway, this seems pretty interesting, hopefully it'll have some sort of impact on their current situation, although I doubt it.

8. suppow

Member suppow GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It ain't that much of a mystery...

9. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    If Palestine is considered a state by the UN, I think, that would make many of Israel's actions in the region illegal by international law. Israel can't just say they're handling an internal dispute - now it officially counts as infringing upon the sovereignty of Palestinians.

This is probably going to be a stumbling block for Israel, and could undermine their credibility.

Well, at least you didn't invoke Godwin's Law. Baby steps, I suppose.

TrolleyDave likes this.
  10. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    The UN actually agreed on something? Stop the presses, this is front page material!!!

11. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Isn't that what they just did?

inb4 hate

12. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    Don't know if troll or stupid...

13. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    I wouldn't dare think of responding to that, lest I get ripped to shreds...time for me to make myself scarce.

14. hi54321
    This message by hi54321 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Nov 30, 2012.
    Nov 30, 2012
  15. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Don't know how this will impact the peace negotiations. I'm not against Palestine becoming a sovereign state, but I don't see how this helps in the process with negotiations. Also defining the borders of Palestine will be hard as hell, since both sides have made their best efforts to ruin the others wellbeing.

And no, the Israeli settlements don't help, but then again I don't know how much territory is entitled to Palestine from territories lost after warring with Israel. The 1967 borderline could be used as a starting point, but I for one don't have enough unbiased knowledge on the matter from both sides to determine what would be the correct method to calculate the final borders. The rocket strikes or bombardment from either side don't really help in the matter either. Regardless of people saying that "it's the Palestinians/Israelis only option to express themselves". It's not. Shooting at the other side doesn't really help.

Hopefully they can find a mutual agreement sooner than later. Hate to see the innocent bystanders loose the most in the conflict.

16. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    Well it seems the USA will stop 200 million dollar aid to Palestine so that's good.

17. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Yeah, was wondering how much land they have.

18. lokomelo

Member lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    I understand the reasons why Israel vote against, but not the reasons why USA did it. Nobody is telling that Palestine is now allowed to destroy the World, this resolution only bring to them the right to talk, hear and observe (and grant them no power at all). USA made a huge pro-democratic campaign here in Latin America, and now they are against the Palestinian right to democracy?

I'm not telling that we should agree to Palestinian view of the World, but let them speak, let them participate UN, it is not a big deal, it not put USA, Canada or Israel in risk.

Now about the to anti-Palestinians here, there is one thing that I must tell: Last time I went USA was in 1996, even that was racism and stuff, there was not this amount of hate against everybody. Now I see American groups hating people on news, on testimonials of my friends and even here in this forum. I love many things that USA made for the World, but on this subject, I got the felling that USA is walking backwards.

19. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    You must be new here.

Yeah I think the Canadian government system did that already

20. Chaosruler

Member Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    I couldn't care less what the dam' world think about arabs, I care when they threat my existence in my own country that was accepted and populated long before they even considered this "muddy land" a good land (which is thanks to us "jews"), if they want the UN areas for themselves - so be it, if they want my country, let the fucking world give it to them from their land before "giving" them my land, if they are so "poor", it's easier to give what's not yours

Janthran likes this.
  21. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Some time ago, your government decided to retreat from Gaza entirely, forcibly remove Jewish settlements (can't say Israeli - for all intents and purposes, Palestinians are as much citizens of Israel as Jews, Ethiopians etc.) and destroy them on their way out, build a blockade around the area, heavily restrict passage through the borders regardless of circumstances and give the area political freedom... Except for one thing - declaring it an autonomous state. Israel is like a gardener's dog - you don't want land that's considered Palestinian, but you sure as hell are not going to part with it. The idea was to put as much embargos and pressure on Gaza as possible and "wait" until it's vacated, but guess what? Those people where there before you and they are not going anywhere, even if it kills both you and them. And before you retort, keep in mind that Jewish settlements not just there, but in the entire area were scarce before European governments agreed to re-locate people of Jewish descent there, not because they were entitled to any land there, but because a certain holy book said that several hundred years ago they used to live there. True facts. The entirety of Israel is an effect of Palestinians being played by the UN after the period of Mandatory Palestine (after which they were supposed to start governing their own land, as per the agreement they had with Britain, Palestine's governing body at the time) because the UN had to do something with the Jews afflicted during the war. From the Palestinian point of view, Jews are and always have been the invader, and this resulted in the Arab-Israeli wars during which Israel started swelling in size. In self-defense, but swelling none the less.

Madridi, finkmac and Minox like this.
  22. Engert
    This message by Engert has been removed from public view by Depravo, Nov 30, 2012, Reason: Yay. Another pointless post..
    Nov 30, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.