Gaming PAL Wii, GameCube games in 480p?

gerie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
For example in The Wind Waker. When I start the game I get asked whether I want to play in 60hz mode or not. If I choose yes, it displays in 480i and if I choose no it displays in 576i. There is nothing about progressive scan, 480p.

Is it possible, by any way? How?

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PAL games do not seem to have 480p. *sadface*
id imagine that is because tvs capable of displaying any sort of hd picture were few and far between in europe when the gamecube was released, same as with the original xbox hd support was only available on ntsc machines (unless you hacked a pal one of course) and the option only appered on the console settings if you used the component cable to connect to your tv.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sappoide

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm sorry but gamecube games on wii can't be played in 480p resolution, they only go up to 576i.
Yes they can, it just depends if they support 480p or not. For example, I play Wind Waker in 480p all the time.
I played MGS: Twin Snakes but it only went 576i, that's unfortunate because the game could have been better in 480p. Does Wind Waker go 480p even on a wii PAL ?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry but gamecube games on wii can't be played in 480p resolution, they only go up to 576i.
Yes they can, it just depends if they support 480p or not. For example, I play Wind Waker in 480p all the time.
I played MGS: Twin Snakes but it only went 576i, that's unfortunate because the game could have been better in 480p. Does Wind Waker go 480p even on a wii PAL ?
I don't have any PAL GC games, so I don't know.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't have any PAL GC games, so I don't know.

AFAIK, PAL games don't do 480p games, but most NTSC games do, included Zelda WW, F-Zero GX, Super Mario Sunshine etc.
Unfortunately, European GCs just don't have that 480p option, there's nothing you can do about it ( short of a firmware hack maybe ).
Much easier to get a used NTSC GC and some progressive cables ( the equivalent of component cables for the Wii ), and start to collect NTSC games.
Remember, in 2001 an NTSC GC wouldn't work in Europe ( and not just for the different voltage , 110v vs 220v, easily overcome by getting an european AC adapter ) but also because only a few TV sets were able to accept a 60hz signal, most were stucked at 50hz still.
Now that almost everybody on the planet has HD TV, most of which run at 60hz, there is no problem in running NTSC content on an European TV in full color at 60hz.
Another option, would be to run those NTSC GC games on a Wii. If the Wii is connected to the TV with component cables, and the GC game in question supports progressive mode ( there was a Wiki list somewhere but I don't have the time to look for it now ) then you will be prompted to activate 480p (progressive mode ) upon booting the game automatically.
But remember, it has to be an NTSC game, there is no such thing as a PAL game running in 480p.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Right. We're actually not certain why PAL GC games disabled 480p. I believe nobody involved at a game company has spoken up. All we can do is assume marketing didn't think users would care. Similar situation to the lack of online GC games.

While I'm not aware of PAL GC hardware changes or issues directly related to progressive scan... Either way it's de facto inaccessible for most people. Region code stops PAL GC from booting such games.

480p was removed in software. A very boring process! GC developers individually cut progressive scan, then added 50hz, for each title they wanted to release PAL format.*
Game reprogramming means forced 480p with hacks still doesn't get most PAL GC games to run the mode correct.

Likewise NTSC GC "suffers" from reverse of the PAL 480p block. By having no 50hz ready games.

*60hz only PAL games skip parts of that work. And presumably rare opposite cases would be games first created as PAL 50hz only, followed by an NTSC version.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
The only way it can currently be done is to use the modified Dios Mios Lite version and run them from your front SD card. Or you could try to find a Gamecube with a decent modchip like the Qoob or Viper (good luck).

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't an old enough Wii version, be hackable to just run a backup NTSC copy and use that for 480p? (not to endorse piracy mind you!)

Unless the PAL version has more languages or some other improvement making up for no 480p.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk, i don't have one