PAL snes to NTSC TV

gi5431

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm an ex-pat living in the states and i'm trying to get my UK snes to work on my USA TV. I've seen tutorials on how to make a snes region free but will this allow my NTSC TV to display it? If not what do i need to do?

gi5431

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually ordered the UK snes off ebay and it comes next week. I've got an AV cable from my gamecube so it will be the first thing i try but i'm pretty sure it won't work. I've tried to hook up a UK wii and a UK Ps2 to an american TV before but it always just displays it in black and white. i hooked them up a long time ago on a shitty tube TV tho, so hopefully the newer flat screen will display pal.
I'm going to try the less intrusive methods first and work my way up to taking it apart but does anybody know if this will work or is it just for playing games from different regions on pal TV's-

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I know that you can fix the black and white issue ntsc consoles have on pal TV's by using a RGB cable, I'm not sure if it'll work the other way around (pal console on ntsc tv). Might be worth checking into though, if that works, it'd be an easy solution.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I actually ordered the UK snes off ebay and it comes next week. I've got an AV cable from my gamecube so it will be the first thing i try but i'm pretty sure it won't work. I've tried to hook up a UK wii and a UK Ps2 to an american TV before but it always just displays it in black and white. i hooked them up a long time ago on a shitty tube TV tho, so hopefully the newer flat screen will display pal.
I'm going to try the less intrusive methods first and work my way up to taking it apart but does anybody know if this will work or is it just for playing games from different regions on pal TV's-

That just enables/disable the region lockout and switches between 50Hz & 60Hz.

If you want to play an unmodded PAL SNES on a US tv, you will need one that supports 50Hz + PAL colour encoding, no idea how common that is on US tvs. You can bypass the colour encoding issues using RGB to Component transcoder, but would still need a tv that supports 50Hz.

If you mod it to output 60Hz, then you'll just need a TV that supports PAL colour encoding or go with RGB to component transcoder again.

Probably just easier to us an NTSC machine.

gi5431

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

gi5431

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My TV is an oldish plasma. just looked at the manual and it says nothing about pal of 50 hz so i doubt it will work.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How modern is the TV? Most television sets actually work in both PAL and NTSC Mode these days and automatically switch - you don't have to mod your console, the internal scaler will do the job for you.

EDIT: Nevermind, saw your reply. Oldish plasma will do - even the later CRT's supported this function. Connect it and see what happens.

gi5431

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
k so i plugged it in and the screen didn't scroll but no colour. I was thinking what does the compiler look like? I opened the snes up and the AV connectors come out of a silver box that is soldered onto the board. Is it that the compiler and if so is there anyway of just buying a generic NTSC one and replacing the unit?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (cocks 12 gauge with virginity-maintaining intent) +1