Hacking PAL GC on NTSC Wii, problems with launchers

dkp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I apologise if this is an inappropriate place, please move/delete/whatever if necessary. If redundant, sorry. Whenever I try using the search button, something seems to eat my input. I haven't found this by manual look up.

If this is too much, a tldr version will be bulleted at the end.

My problem is, whenever I try to load a PAL GC backup on my Wii, it either gives a green screen, empty black screen, or only plays black and white.

The backups I'm trying to play are said to be supported (namely German (PAL) Zeldas, with a strong preference for the Wind Waker). I've tried multiboot, wiped, and unaltered. The images themselves are fine- running fine with emulators and such. The media I'm using are verbatim DVD-Rs. So I'm positive it's not a media/image issue.

My system menu is ver. 4.1U. My Wii was also one of the first off the assembly line for the US, so I know she's capable of backup launching; especially because North American and Japanese backups do work.

NA and JAP backups DO work, just to repeat.

My cIOS is cIOS56rev20 (slot 249). The MIOSes I've tried are cMIOS v4 and v10 (or whatever they are named)

In any case, when I boot PAL games using Neogamma (r8, r7, r9b47), I keep getting errors. When I try the recommended options (internal/disc) I get a black and white screen. On my older TV, it skips up and down the screen and my newer it stays put. When I try to force it to Wii, I get a green screen. Trying to force it to anything else just gets me that green screen or it causes the wii to out right go to the "nothing's plugged into the av slots" screen. Changing whether to patch the game or not doesn't seem to work.

I get the same results when I try the gamecube backup launcher, and similar results for the other things I've tried, which were generally outdated launchers and GCOS (which... isn't really a wii thing). Generally, anything I could find here or on Eurasia.

As for the multigame discs, I've heard that there's been a lot of problems with most of the assemblers(?) making the isos PAL. I haven't been able to find any that don't seem to default to PAL, except a really old one that... well, it doesn't seem to create a region code at all.

I've also been told not to use the wii cables- but I just don't know what this means. The wii only has one audio-video out. I don't think that a (raw) PAL signal can be sent through an NTSC wii anyways.

So, to recap:

*Need (for homework, actually) to boot PAL GC backups on NTSC Wii using sys menu 4.1U, cIOS56rev20, cMIOS v4 or v10, preferably with Neogamma

*NTSC (NA and JAP) games *do* work

*PAL games green screen, refuse to boot, or do the black and white flickering thing. Patching doesn't work.

*Other Gamecube Backup launchers fail similarly.

*??Wii cables??

*??Multigame issues??? - Note that this shouldn't affect the booting of an unchanged gamecube backup.

What I'm currently attempting to do is edit the PAL rom to boot NTSC. That's... Not going well.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's the common video mode problem. If recommend cMIOS + NeoGamma in GC mode internal + force NTSC480i + GC video mode patches don't help, then i don't think there's a solution for this yet. When(if) SD-Boot is released, there might be new options for this.

With NeoGamma it doesn't matter if the game is on a multi game disc, nor if the multi game disc itself is PAL or NTSC.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sao Mortel said:
Save yourself troubles and buy a modchip, i dont think theres any modchip that has that problem

Sorry, but you don't understand. This is the common video mode issue if you have a (crappy/NTSC-U) tv that only supports the video mode from your region. A modchip + disc channel would just result in a freeze, not even black&white playback for those games btw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ngNaUaQOfPU