GCN PAL GameCube Progressive?

OldSchoolTech

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi. I have one of the earlier model PAL GameCubes which happens to have a Digital AV port on the back. I'd like to get some sort of adapter that will output HDMI but I'm hearing PAL games won't support progressive scan. I heard you can just use swiss to force a video mode but for starters what would I need to get 480p from it? I have an OSSC but it's interlaced signal it receives through the RGB SCART. Component cables are hard to get and I have seen an external device on Amazon before which plugs into both AV ports to output HDMI. If I bought this for my PAL system, would it work? I assume I'd still have to use swiss to force video modes but I'm just wondering if buying something like that would be a waste of money before I go ahead and do such a thing.

Thanks.

OldSchoolTech

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Thanks. That's exactly what I had looked at and just wasn't sure if it would work. As long as it will then I guess I could just buy it. I have a XenoGC chip installed too so it will play out of region games if buying them makes it easier. It's probably related to the GameCubes NAND though meaning I'll still have to use swiss. That's not too much of a problem anyway though as long as it works.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You only need swiss to force it for PAL games. PAL cube is capabable of 480p, the toggle (hold B on boot) was just taken out in favour of 60Hz toggle. NTSC games that support it will output 480p by just holding B, even on a PAL cube.

OldSchoolTech

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Ah that's nice to know thanks. It might be worth my while having the GCHD so. I know I would just use a Wii but something about me just prefers to use the GameCube especially since I own one :)

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. That's exactly what I had looked at and just wasn't sure if it would work. As long as it will then I guess I could just buy it. I have a XenoGC chip installed too so it will play out of region games if buying them makes it easier. It's probably related to the GameCubes NAND though meaning I'll still have to use swiss. That's not too much of a problem anyway though as long as it works.

Component cables work on PAL GameCubes. Just that RGB is much more cost effective for 480i.

Original discs are easier for the console to read. Less chance of compatibility issues than things like SD loading.

Also remember that modchips or similar don't actually make the system Japanese. Some games act up if the language mode is wrong.
Swiss I've heard has options to help.

Last edited by Lumstar,

OldSchoolTech

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I guess my best bet then is to burn a Swiss disc. I didn't do it for piracy anyway, the chip is just so I can play NTSC games if I want to. A lot of PAL games were slowed down and had the squashed aspect due to the games primarily being made for the NTSC standard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.