PAL GameCube games on modchipped USA Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Knocks, Aug 16, 2009.

Aug 16, 2009
  1. Knocks
    OP

Member Knocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

I am getting inconsistent compatibility with PAL GCN games launched through the Disc Channel on a NTSC-U Wii modded with a Wiikey.

Some PAL games, like Doshin the Giant, work fine. Others, like DBZ Budokai 2 boot with a black & white jumping screen. I tried this game both in a multigame ISO and burned on a mini DVDR. It works fine when launched from a GameCube Backup Launcher. I also tried it on my modchipped GameCube, and it also gives me a b&w jumping screen.

Any idea how to get these games to work from the Disc Channel?

2. 594rk

Newcomer 594rk Member

United States
    Are you using Waninkoko's custom mios?

I have a drivekey and I couldn't get gamecube games to work with it until I installed cmios.

3. ozguy

Member ozguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Although the modchip will allow you to play PAL games, you still need a TV that supports PAL.

Most newer TVs that are widescreen/HD do support it, but you will usually need to get a component video cable. The standard composite video cable that comes with the Wii will not work.

4. Knocks
    OP

Member Knocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

I don't think you must have a PAL TV because:

1) A bunch of PAL games do work, like Doshin the Giant, the Disney Sports series, etc

2) The ones that don't work through the Disc Channel, do work through the GC Backup Loader