Hardware Painting a Wii?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,838
  • Replies 9
D

Deleted User

OP
I was planning to buy a new black wii but found a killer deal for a regular white Wii that comes with a bunch of extra stuff.

If I cover up all the openings (eg. disc drive, fans, usb slots, etc) on the wii and just paint it black using a paint brush or something, will that possibly wreck it? Or will it be just fine?

darkranboria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spray-painted mine and painted a golden mushroom on my friends ( i just made one on skinit, my friend didn't want to pay).
It doesn't affect anything as long as you cover crap up.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some things you want to watch out for:

The fan is symmetrically made, this allows for a stable spin. If some paint gets on one of the blades, the added mass will disrupt this symmetric balance and the life of your fan will probably decrease exponentially. Not to mention two possibilities of it getting damaged: either safety checks will prevent the wii from turning on to prevent further damage or the extra heat generated from loss of cooling by the fan can overheat some of the components of the wii and then it's time to fork up some money for a repair.

Watch out for the disk drive. Dust in the disk drive itself can be enough to interfere with disk loading. Stray paint in the disk drive is going to be a pain in the ass to remove if it interferes with disk loading.

Any types of liquids that get on a circuit bored can disrupt the flow of processing. Liquid is a conductor of electricity and it can either cross two paths of circuit paths and cause some damage or generate more electricity then needed and ultimately overheating some of the components.

There are also more evident risks such as paint clumps jamming the buttons and such. If you realize these risks then feel free to proceed forward
smile.gif

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dont halfass it. take the wii apart and tape off all the stuff you dont want painted. it will look better as you wont get paint bunched up in the cracks and creases, you wont get missed spots in the tight places, and you dont have to worry about painting the important crap because its covered up.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
best way to paint electronics is to
disassemble the to be painted part as far as possible, paint ,dry ,reassemble
just be sure to use only a thin layer of paint so it will still fit

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what color you are looking for, but maybe you can just buy a case mod if you don't want to go through the trouble of painting it. I have purchased a skin (Gets too messy when it starts to peel) and 2 different cases that were publicized on a few modding sites which sucked. (One was an Evolve I believe) The one I have now is great, has a perfect metallic color like I wanted, was better quality and cheaper than my previous ones. You can find them on EBAY wrote a review for it here:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=140063&hl=

There is a sell on EBAY that has them now for $25 US shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shell-Case-Full-Replac...=item2ead7bdf1c

There of course can be cases that are better, but IMO these have turned out great. Good luck with your paint job though and post pics if you do.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM